PDA

View Full Version : You Guys Make It Look So Easy

Dane Fuller
07-04-2011, 7:14 PM
I couldn't stand it anymore so I slapped together a table for my Griz G0657 today out of scraps and a few old PT'd 2x6's. After a shakedown run, I stuck a 1x1 piece of oak on there to piddle with. I learned 5 things:

I can turn a spindle looking thingy.
I need a band saw to chunk up some logs. (A 1x1 piece of cast iron oak may not have been such a good choice to begin my turning career on.)
Before I turn again, I have to set my grinder up and learn how to sharpen my tools.
You guys make it look so easy!:eek:
Most importantly, Al Neighbors will need the patience of Job.:o

Nate Davey
07-04-2011, 7:44 PM
We all started where you are. Keep at it and don't get discouraged. You, also, will need the patience of Job. Recommend taking a couple classes or join a local turning club. It will ease the learning curve. And remember....... this is fun :D

Steve Schlumpf
07-04-2011, 7:53 PM
Dane - Al Neighbors is good people! If you can get him to show you some of the basics of how to turn - it will save you a lot of frustration compared to trying to figure everything out by yourself! Turning is a lot of fun but in all honesty, it only becomes real fun once you have the basics figured out! Highly recommend to you - and anyone else just learning how to turn - get a few lessons with someone who knows what they are doing, take a class or get with your local turning club - it will make the entire learning curve so much easier and a lot more fun!

Looking forward to seeing some of your work real soon!

John Keeton
07-04-2011, 8:19 PM
Dane, I agree with 1, 2 and 3!! Maple would have been a much better choice - or walnut, cherry or poplar. No oak, locust, osage, etc. if dry!! Those can come later.

Not sure about #4 - you haven't been in my shop when I struggle with turnings!!!!

Not sure about #5 - I think Nate may be more on point! You will need the patience! Just take your time, and don't expect it all to come to you overnight. Enjoy the ride, learn something everytime you turn on the lathe, and be careful!!

David E Keller
07-04-2011, 8:29 PM
Congrats on your maiden voyage! Sharp tools will make a tremendous difference as will practice... You're lucky to have an experienced turner nearby for some 1 on 1, so soak it all in when you get a chance. Looking forward to seeing some shots of your turnings.

Jim Burr
07-04-2011, 8:30 PM
Good job Dane!! At least you started. Some a while ago did a turning without sanding...might have been Mr. Hamilton. Having just used my new sharpener on my stuff...I now know what a finish cut is. Start simple (to avoid frustration) and move along as your comfortable...Nothing is any fun if you have to cuss at it!:p;):D:rolleyes:

Michael James
07-04-2011, 9:38 PM
.....Nothing is any fun if you have to cuss at it!:p;):D:rolleyes:

Awww man, say it ain't so......:cool:
mj

Josh Bowman
07-04-2011, 9:52 PM
Nate,
Welcome. Just a year ago, I glued together some scraps and proceeded to turn a bowl. The sides were almost straight up and I did it with a cheap set of spindle tools. The guys here mentored and suggested a lesson or two and a club. I did all and found bowls then hollow forms starting to take shape. Unlike anything I've picked up and tried......turning really will benefit from a couple of lessons. Surprisingly if you join a local club, you might find as I did someone that will give you free personnel lessons. Don't go cheap on sharpening, get a good system that's easy to use. If it's not easy, you'll try to turn with dull tools and that's a pain! As far as the oak, I like to turn oak. Some don't care for it, but again with sharp tools, it's easy.
Now go turn something and post some pictures!

Dane Fuller
07-04-2011, 9:56 PM
Thanks for the encouragement guys. It's been so hot here I figured Al was hanging out in his recliner instead of his shop so I haven't called him yet. All the cussing took place while I was trying to get the bench legs all the same length.:rolleyes:

Josh,
I think it's safe to say I won't be posting pictures anytime soon...

Donny Lawson
07-04-2011, 10:06 PM
Another point, what kind of turning do you think you would be interested in? Bowls,pens,spindles? The possibilities are endless. Try to find a local turning club to get in to. They will help you in many ways in getting started.

Nate Davey
07-04-2011, 10:19 PM
One further point. Keep your first turning and sign and date the bottom. Look back on it from time to time and see where you've gone. My first sits right here in the living room next to my latest. Sure is interesting to see how I've matured. It's is also hotter than the hinges of heck here, I just sweat through it and move the box fan closer......what can I say, I'm an addict.

Scott Hackler
07-04-2011, 11:47 PM
Dane, I would encourage spending as much time as you can with Al and/or a local turning club. It will make a BIG difference getting some instruction rather than learning the hard way (and sometimes dangerous way). Also will encourage you to post pictures. We all started out exactly where you are now and the group can and will (if you like) offer up advise and help with your progress.

Welcome to the madness. There is no escape! :)

Rick Markham
07-05-2011, 12:07 AM
Congrats Dane!!!! Welcome to the best side of the creek (yeah I said it! :P) Don't worry, you won't ever have to cuss at legs not being the same length again... or at any of your flat work tools again... :D Before you know it, you will have forms and turning ideas running through your head for months... You're in good hands here.

Get Al to teach you sharpening first. Once you have a sharp tools, and you learn how they all cut... That's when the fun starts :D It's great you have Al! You will find out pretty quickly that us turners, love to turn, and we love to talk about it. We also like to "drag" others into the vortex with us :eek: I'm sure Al will be more than willing to enable... er I mean help you :D

Bernie Weishapl
07-05-2011, 9:52 AM
Dane I agree with the others. Patience is the big word. Al is good people and can take a lot of the learning curve away. I and I know others don't have turning clubs close or any other turners close. So if you do take advantage of that because it will make the learning curve much smoother. Have fun and enjoy the vortex.

Betty Fox
07-05-2011, 10:21 AM
Dane,
Also look at some woodturning videos. The stuff that they do is intricate but the cuts and technique are interchangable with what you do as a beginner. And POST PICTURES. I am just beginning to learn as well. I post pics of my work and my ego is in safe hands at the Creek.
Happy spinning!!!!!

Thom Sturgill
07-05-2011, 10:36 AM
Dane, I agree with all that's been said. Get some one-on-one training - there is nothing like watching the body movement and tool presentation in person and having someone coach you. Borrow or buy some videos (books are almost worthless to a beginner), and practice. You'll be posting pictures before you know it!

Jamie Donaldson
07-05-2011, 1:27 PM
Always learn correct basic skills, and then the more you practice, the luckier you get!

Chip Sutherland
07-05-2011, 3:32 PM
You have local clubs in Amarillo and Witchita Falls. Find someone going to Waco next month and come watch dozens of demostrators at the South West Association of Turners (SWAT). There is a recent thread about SWAT on this forum.

It gets even easier once you relinquish your wallet to the vortex. The vortex will be very strong in Waco.

Tim Rinehart
07-05-2011, 3:48 PM
Dane,
Also look at some woodturning videos. The stuff that they do is intricate but the cuts and technique are interchangable with what you do as a beginner. And POST PICTURES. I am just beginning to learn as well. I post pics of my work and my ego is in safe hands at the Creek.
Happy spinning!!!!!

Dane, Betty makes a great point about posting pics of what isn't working. For example, if you're using a gouge that is catching badly/often, or not doing what you expect...have someone take a pic of just how you're holding it to the piece (best you can remember and pose it), and the ability for us to help goes up dramatically. There are just as many decent ways as bad ways to use a tool...so if you accept that in the beginning...it's easier to accept the learning. Just remember, take all you hear with a grain of salt, as personal style will govern what tool/technique works best for you. The big thing early on, is to help make sure what you are doing is safely done.
If you don't have a decent faceshield and respirator for dust, start with that as a priority. Then, start reading threads about sharpening, and you'll see most will suggest use of slow speed (1450 or so) grinder with soft aluminum oxide, and repeatable tools like the Wolverine jig. You can do this with conventional grinder and homemade jigs too, just makes it a little more challenging. Regardless...you have to accept that your tools will need to be SHARP and ground or dressed often while turning to get acceptable cuts.
Looking forward to seeing your progress, and the suggestions on getting some one on one will most definitely make this fun early...as opposed to frustrating. It's really pretty straightforward stuff once you understand the sharpening, and geometry of the tool cutting edge to the wood, and the wood grain and how to deal with different wood issues.

Have fun!