PDA

View Full Version : doweling jigs...end grain?

Andy Maldoror
07-04-2011, 4:15 PM
i have to make a glass case with glass on all sides and an oak frame with grooves to hold the glass. the frame is of 3/4" square pieces. there will be one dowel in each end of the horizontal pieces. not enough room under my drill press.
are doweling jigs good for the end of small sticks like this with one dowel? would it be difficult to keep it square?
which jig would be best for this? the standard self centering economy jig?
is the one at harbor freight any different from the one in the WW catalogue stores?
is the vintage stanley doweling jig a good option?

Jerry Marcantel
07-04-2011, 8:34 PM
Andy, I have built at least 20 kitchens and can't count the number of furniture pieces using a #9 Dowlit jig. It also self centers, but I set mine up to where the dowels are off center. If you end up needing a piece of wood that is thicker/thinner than the rest, at least one side of your frame is going to be flush. In about 1983 I bought a pnuematic horizontal borer, and set it up off center also. I still use the Dowlit. In fact, just 2 days ago I broke down and used it for 4 holes on a frace frame I had to cut and reassemble.
If you're concerned about your holes being out of square, after you put your wood in the self centering jig, check it for square before drilling. There is room for movement even after you have the dowels and frame assembled and in the clamps if you need to. You just have to be quicker than the glue setting up....... .....Jerry (in Tucson)

Myk Rian
07-04-2011, 9:13 PM
I've had and used my Dowl-it jig for several years. Nice tool, and USA made, in Michigan.
You can dead-center, or offset it by loosening the lock nut in the back, and turning it.

Dell Littlefield
07-04-2011, 9:15 PM
For a one time or very occasional use, I bought a set of dowel centers at Lowes for around 5 bucks. Drill your first hole, insert the center and use it to make a mark for the second hole. No good for production type work but might do the job for you.

Bill Huber
07-04-2011, 9:28 PM
Andy, I will make you a deal, you become a Contributor to the Creek and I will send you a Dowl-it jig.

This the Economy jig, the one without bushings. I have not used it for 5 years, I got a DowelMax and then sold it and now have the Jessem jig which I really love. I do a lot of doweling so the Jessem is great but if you are just going to do a few the Dowl-It will work fine.

Just send me a PM with the address and then go to the Donate page and become a contributor.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/payments.php

Rich Engelhardt
07-05-2011, 7:41 AM
Wow! Generous offer from Bill!
You can't beat that price anywhere.

I'm pretty happy with my ~ $10.00 Rockler jig.
But - I don't do a lot of dowels.