PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestions and Ideas

Dale Winburn
07-04-2011, 4:03 PM
I have a large walnut crotch log (20" diameter at the lower end and 36" across the two limbs at the upper end) and I'm looking for ideas and suggestions on how to cut it and what I could make with the log.

I've made several shallow bowls and plates from crotches, I usually cut down the pith of both limbs and have two identical pieces. When I make a deeper bowl a lot of beautiful grain is lost. The following is from a smaller walnut crotch, it's about 14" diameter and 2.4" high and has a wide rim to show the grain.

(http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=200379&d=1309808073)

Roger Chandler
07-04-2011, 4:48 PM
Dale,

Have you tried hollow forms? Walnut form with a maple or holly finial would be hard to beat, and with a log that size you could likely get several good blanks from it. You could even orient the sapwood to give you snow on the top with a beautiful contrast with the heart wood..............

Just an idea.........good luck!

John Keeton
07-04-2011, 4:54 PM
When I make a deeper bowl a lot of beautiful grain is lost.Dale, while it may limit the diameter of the platter/bowl, you will get more of the crotch feather if you make the pith side the bottom of the bowl. If it is a shallow platter, you shouldn't lose much.

charlie knighton
07-04-2011, 4:58 PM
Dale, do a search on
Todd Hoyer, woodturner, he does crotches, very nice bowl

Dale Miner
07-04-2011, 5:02 PM
It is pretty hard to tell from the picture, but the crotch might have a bark inclusion down the center. The bulge on side of the crotch where the two limbs meet is common on a crotch that has bark. The fairly acute angle to the two limbs also increases the possibility of a bark inclusion.

I typically split crotches the same way as you describe. On larger crotches or crotches with a visible bark inclusion, I split each limb through the pith at 90 degrees to the normal way. With a large crotch without bark, the remaining Vee shaped piece is split in the normal fashion. This gives two half logs for standard bowl blanks, and a relatively good sized pair of platter or shallow bowl blanks. Another option after the two standard bowl blank pieces are removed, is to cut a lengthwise hollow form or vase blank from the Vee section. This blank will have the feather running top to bottom in the center of the blank, so a smaller diameter tall piece will show the figure best.

If the crotch has bark in the center, after the two standard bowl blank pieces are cut, the center section may not be worth the effort. A large bark inclusion across the center of a platter or bowl poses a danger while turning.

Dennis Ford
07-04-2011, 8:49 PM
I agree with Dale, that crotch may have a large bark inclusion. The first step is to find out if there is a bark inclusion or not. I recommend cutting as shown in the sketch with a red line to find out.

If you have a bark inclusion, my recommendation is to use the sketch named "cut_platters", cutting right down through the bark inclusion to seperate two platter blanks. They should have nice figure (not the "flame" figure usually associated with crotches but still very nice).

If you do not have a bark inclusion, my recommendation is to use the sketch named "cut_vase" to make a large vase or tall hollow form blank. This would take quite a bit of trimming but should yield an exceptionally figured blank.

David E Keller
07-04-2011, 8:53 PM
Can't help you with the cutting, Dale, but the finished piece you posted is fabulous!

Roger Chandler
07-04-2011, 9:03 PM
Can't help you with the cutting, Dale, but the finished piece you posted is fabulous!

David,

Dale is a member of our local club........I have seen a number of his bowls and platters......his work is like you said, fabulous. I think his bowls will match up with anybody's I have seen.........I am glad he is working with us on the Jackson Prayer tree project!

Dick Wilson
07-04-2011, 9:14 PM

Dale, A couple of times I have turned limb crotch bowls. I rip the crotch with a chain saw ending up with "half crotches". I place the bowl in the middle and turn it so most if the crotch ends up as a rim.

Baxter Smith
07-04-2011, 9:48 PM
Thats a very pretty plate! Looking forward to however you cut it!

Jeff Nicol
07-05-2011, 12:00 AM
Dale, Since it is a large piece of timber the only portion that may have some bark in it is the first 6-8" from the crotch. With it being an almost perfect "Y" you can see the bumps on each side since it has been that way for a long time. I had one that I slabbed on the woodmizer that looked similar, but not so much a "Y" but a straight main trunk and a say 40 degree branch. I started cutting from the top of it down through leaving about a 3" slab with the pith in it as it was at a bit of an angle and not centered. But every slab was solid and had the beautiful "Feather" of the crotch in it with those closer to the outside less than at the center. I turned a bunch of platters and plates and I still have some of them left that are just 1" thick and they are shaped like the state of Minnesota!

So for me if you have access to a mill or want to cut it through the pith and then slab it in both directions in thicknesses you want, the but end will be the best feather and the branches will give you 4 half logs for bowls if you cut them off prior to the slabbing. I have been sawing them on the woodmizer for the 7 years with good resulsts on many different woods.

Wish I was closer I would saw it up for you, hope your Independence day was a great one!

Jeff