PDA

View Full Version : Temporary change in climate (wood movement) question

Bryan Cramer
07-04-2011, 12:50 PM
I recently get a chance to display some of my work. Here is the problem. The building is not air conditioned meaning the temperature could be 80 to 100 degrees inside and high humidity. The display pieces are in my home now which is 70 to 75 degrees air conditioned and between 65 to 70 % humidity. I will be displaying them for eight days. I properly finished my furniture, milled the wood properly, and allowed for summer expansion. The reason why I posted this question is this summer wood has been doing strange things to me, other wood workers and the dealer I get my hardwood from. I am afraid my projects might be affected by this drastic change and the things I have seen happen to wood and other projects(cutting boards split in half, boards twisting, freshly cut end grain checking, all happening to kiln dried wood with the proper moisture content) makes me even more concerned. I made all of this furniture on my own time with my money. I don't want a 700$ + labor entertainment center to become ruined. I live in North Dakota. I hope I explained it clearly. I will watch this tread so ask me questions to clear it up.

John TenEyck
07-04-2011, 1:47 PM
Seems like you have a few options. You could decline the offer to show your work. That guarantees no problems. But assuming you want to show it, then you have a couple of options. You could just move the furniture with complete disregard for the change in humidity and trust that you built it with those changes in mind, and hope for the best. Brave move, but there is at least another approach with less risk. You could gradually adjust the humidity in your house closer to what it will be be in the building where it will be shown. Or you could put the furniture for the show in one room and just adjust that room. Temperature control isn't all that important, but humidity is. If you could raise the humidity in that room 5% every day or two, say, until it matches that of the new building, all will be well when you move it. Actually, I don't think you will have a problem if you just move it, since we're only talking about a change in humidity of 65 to maybe 95% worst case, and more likely less than that. That means a worst case EMC change from about 12% to 24%, and an expansion of around 4% in the tangential direction. I'm not saying it couldn't cause problems, but it doesn't seem like it should. But anything you can do to make the transition from one enviroment to the other gradual seems like a good thing. Good luck, and please post some pics of your show.

Harvey Pascoe
07-04-2011, 4:21 PM
If you are air conditioning down close to 70 degrees I would think that inside humidity is lower than what you stated, probably closer to 50%. I'm in Florida, air condition to only 78-80 and my humidity is 60%. That is a bit low, and even varnish sealed furniture will expand, drawers and doors become tight if I open up and let 80% humidity in, and will do so rather quickly. Even so, I've never had any damage as a result.

Raising your thermostat by increments over time and letting the humidity rise sounds like a good strategy to me. However, if you are certain that your internal humidity is correct, another 10 - 15 point increase to 80% outdoor humidity should not cause you any serious trouble.

phil harold
07-05-2011, 8:16 AM
Little wet in ND?

there is a boat building forum here too :p

gradual changes are best!