PDA

View Full Version : DC - single stage now or cyclone later?

James Biddle
02-14-2005, 6:23 PM
My next purchase is for the chalk outline on the floor labelled "Dust Collector". I was waiting for the new 1-1/2 hp Grizzly cyclone ($703 inc. shipping) to come out in Feb, but their website has changed the release to April. Either the other cyclones are too tall or wide, or too expensive, so I either have to wait or rethink my earlier single-stage choices of a Grizzly G0572 ($553 inc. shipping) or Penn State DC2000CF ($469 inc. shipping, but out of stock until 3/1). Should I keep my respirator on and wait?

Matt Meiser
02-14-2005, 6:31 PM
You could get decent performance out of a Grizzly G1029Z or Jet DC1200 on a smaller cyclone (such as the Oneida C650). I have the DC1200 blower and the C650 with two Torrit Style filters and get good collection. I have a large piping network as well due to 12' ceilings. I did this as the cyclone craze was hitting but haven't seen a reason to upgrade. You could buy the stand alone collector now, convert to a Wynn Environmental filter for better breathing, and then add the cyclone later.

Also with cyclone height issues, consider that the motor can pop up between ceiling joists (with adequate ventilation) and that you could use a short drum to get the clearance you need. At our old house, I solved the issue by mounting the DC1200 blower in the attic above the cyclone, with the intake pointing straight down into the cyclone.

Phil Winn
02-14-2005, 6:36 PM
Clearvue/Pentz cyclone system? Or just the Pentz system?

www.clearvuecyclones.com (http://www.clearvuecyclones.com)

http://billpentz.com//woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm

I have one and I love it!
Phil

Marshall Harrison
02-14-2005, 7:30 PM
James,

I would say it depends on how much woodworking you do. Since we all know that the fine dust is bad for you I would reccomend cutting back on making the dust until you get the cyclone. If you can't quit making dust then get the DC of your choice and add the Wynn filter. It may not be as good as a cyclone but every little bit helps.

If you do plan on getting the Wynn filter then I would not spend any extra money to get the better bags. Just go with the 30 micron bags because when you add the filter the bottom bag is replaced with a plastic bag. No need wasting money on the better bags just to replace them.

Scott Parks
02-14-2005, 8:03 PM
I'm in the same dillemma. I plan on building the Pentz cylcone and blower, but it doesn't fit the budget right now. So I looked at DC's and I'm not happy with the performance of upgrading one to a cyclone later. For the cyclone, I would build a better blower unit anyway, so I feel IMO, that buying the DC and upgrading to adequate filters would be a waste of $. By the time you buy a cheap DC (~$200), you've got the impeller and blower housing paid for.

For the Pentz Cyclone / Blower, I'm estimating my cost to be between $600-$650 (not including ducting, hoods, gates, etc). This is right in line with the costs of some of the systems you've mentioned. This includes a Leeson 5hp motor, and filters. There are many guys here that have built these and can probably give a better estimate of cost for just the cyclone/blower setup.

Meanwhile, I'm being patient, and rolling my tablesaw and jointer out into the driveway everytime I use them.

Jeff Sudmeier
02-14-2005, 8:07 PM
If the cyclone is coming out this year, I would wait for it. Keep your respirator on and try not to create too much dust. If it is coming out next year, I would get the Harbor Freight Dust collecter and the Wynn canister filter. For about $250 you can have a fully funcitonal dust collector. I have one and I am VERY happy with it!

When you want to upgrade, you can probably get most of your money back out of the DC or keep it to use on a downdraft table. Also, you won't be one of the first to try out the new Grizzly. The bumbs should be worked out :)