PDA

View Full Version : An accessory for you Wixey angle gauge, kind of..........

Bill Huber
07-04-2011, 12:16 PM
Well it is kind of and accessory, lets call it a Critical Reference Alignment Part. This a highly crafted very accurate fixture and I am sure it would sell for $50 to $75 retail...:D

I know its kind of crazy but I like to have the Wixey square to the blade on the table to zero it and then I also like to have it square to the table when it's on the blade......

So some scrap and 5 minutes and I have it now. I cut it so I can use it on both sides of the blade, I set the 90° on the left and any other angle on the right. I just hold the Wixey against the board, zero it, flip it and hold it against the board again and it is always square.

200361200364200362200365200363http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/misc/pencil.png

Victor Robinson
07-04-2011, 2:29 PM
Machine these out of aluminum Bill and you'll have a waiting list...

Bill Huber
07-04-2011, 2:41 PM
Machine these out of aluminum Bill and you'll have a waiting list...

It will be a one time only thing.....:D:D

Ryan Hellmer
07-05-2011, 11:07 AM
That's a fantastic trick. Thanks for sharing!

Ryan

David Kumm
07-05-2011, 11:16 AM
Bill, cool deal. Does your angle gauge seem accurate? I have a bunch of Wixey stuff and like all except the angle box. I have two and when both read 90 they don't reference exactly right with my precision square that I know is correct. I mentioned that to the proscale guys who were complimentary of some of Wixey's products but not the angle box. They felt it was inaccurate as well. Mine are a few years old now so the technology may have changed. Just interested in other opinions. Dave

Bill Huber
07-05-2011, 12:49 PM
Bill, cool deal. Does your angle gauge seem accurate? I have a bunch of Wixey stuff and like all except the angle box. I have two and when both read 90 they don't reference exactly right with my precision square that I know is correct. I mentioned that to the proscale guys who were complimentary of some of Wixey's products but not the angle box. They felt it was inaccurate as well. Mine are a few years old now so the technology may have changed. Just interested in other opinions. Dave

I have 2, the older one and the new style. The older one is .1° off, I know that so when I set things up I calculate that in. When I set the table saw blade to 90° I set the Wixey at 89.9 and that is spot on.

With the new one I find that it is spot on to start.

I set the blade with the new one to 90° and then check it with the old one and it read 89.9. I then took the widest board that I could cut on its edge and cut it in half. I then flipped the one over and while setting on the saw I checked and there was no gaps. Then I checked them for squareness with a small Starrett and a Woodpecker square and found them to be square.

So I guess to answer your question I think they are but you do have to check it and to know if it is off and then adjust for that.

David Kumm
07-05-2011, 1:36 PM
Thanks, Bill. Off isn't nearly as bad as inconsistency so I will do more testing. I had given up on them but will re evaluate. Dave

Bill Huber
07-06-2011, 10:06 PM
Thanks, Bill. Off isn't nearly as bad as inconsistency so I will do more testing. I had given up on them but will re evaluate. Dave

I went out this afternoon and with the Wixey protractor I did some checking. The older model was off still by .1° no matter what angle I used but the new one was right with the protractor. I tried many different angles and many different rezeroings and the new one was always right with the protractor.
So I would say it was very consistent over the full range but again that was with the Wixey protractor, that is all I have to check with.

Philip Berman
07-07-2011, 7:20 AM
I have a different/older? model which seems to only register angles relative to the rotation of the bottom magnetized surface of the unit. I've always used it to square my blade relative to the saw table but have never used a jig to do so and it's worked fine. I reference the table, zero it out, then just rotate 90degrees clockwise and stick it to the sawplate. I keep it [sort of] straight up-and-down but have never used a jig to do so. Now I have to check tonite to see if it makes a different, although I've had it for a couple of years and do get cuts square to the table.

Philip