PDA

View Full Version : "Kathy's Vase"

Rick Markham
07-04-2011, 6:08 AM
Named after Kathy for providing the beautiful mesquite. I cut the hunk in half. I think I may make two smaller forms from the other half. I really really really like how this one turned out!!!:D This is my first endgrain hollowing. I used the Kobra for this one.

10.5" tall and 5" in diameter. Finish is WOP sanded to a satin finish with 0000 steel wool. It really seems to suit this wood to just be. As always C&C is welcome and appreciated. Thanks for looking!
I hope I did the wood you sent justice Kathy!!! Thank you again, your a super :cool: person!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/Rick357/IMG_0247.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/Rick357/IMG_0246.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/Rick357/IMG_0250.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/Rick357/IMG_0248.jpg

Dennis Ford
07-04-2011, 7:16 AM
Very nice hollow form, mesquite is nice to turn and looks great too.

Roger Chandler
07-04-2011, 7:23 AM
Very nice Rick............that mesquite turned out nice. Good form on this, and the neck area is nicely done........Naming it "Kathy's Vase" is a nice tribute to Kathy M. She does so many nice gestures for so many turners, a generous heart in that Lady!

That will do any table or mantle proud.........make for lovely base to an artificial flower arrangement. BTW, how do you like the Kobra system?

Tim Thiebaut
07-04-2011, 7:28 AM
Wow Rick that came out great looking! I am really starting to look forward to working with my piece, I am just trying to finish up a large project I have been working on first, good job Rick.

Rick Markham
07-04-2011, 7:30 AM
Roger, I LOVE the Kobra system. It's worth every penny I plunked down for it. It is so heavy duty, it's a real pleasure to use.

Thanks fellas!

Kathy Marshall
07-04-2011, 8:06 AM
Beautiful vase Rick! The form looks great and I think it shows off the grain well. It just looks like it would feel good in your hands. You definitely did that wood justice!

John Keeton
07-04-2011, 8:45 AM
Great looking vase, Rick!! And, the finish is perfect. Kudos to both you and Kathy!

Joe Landon
07-04-2011, 8:53 AM
Nice vase Rick. How is mesquite to turn?

Bernie Weishapl
07-04-2011, 8:59 AM
Rick that is a great looking vase for sure. Gotta love turning mesquite. Nice form.

Curt Fuller
07-04-2011, 10:57 AM
Beautiful vase Rick. It has the nice soft look that makes you want to pick it up and fondle it.

Rick Markham
07-04-2011, 3:01 PM
Thanks everyone!

Ed Morgano
07-04-2011, 5:10 PM
Rick,
That is simply beautiful!

Scott Hackler
07-04-2011, 5:26 PM
Very nice Rick. I haven't decided the fate of my piece of mesquite yet. You are pushing me closer to picking the Kobra system for my hollowing rig!

Steve Schlumpf
07-04-2011, 5:37 PM
That is nice! Good form, great looking wood and your finish allows the grain show! Nice work! You should be happy with this one!

Baxter Smith
07-04-2011, 9:54 PM
Very pretty wood made into a very pretty vase!

David DeCristoforo
07-04-2011, 10:25 PM
Nice one. I'm eyeing that piece of mesquite on my bench but I'm thinking more "bowl" than "vase".

James Combs
07-04-2011, 10:46 PM
Really like that shape as well as the wood. Did you have any problem getting under the shoulder at the top? I did a similar one a few weeks back and that area gave me fits.

Rick Markham
07-04-2011, 11:40 PM
Mesquite is wonderful to turn, anyone who hasn't should definitely give it a go.

Thanks eveyone :) I am very pleased with this one.

David D, It would make a very very nice bowl. I just had to see what it would look like in vase form :D

James, I've done a few of these now and have mostly figured out the shoulder. Granted I'm using a laser system so that takes the scare out if. That section takes me the longest, I take very light cuts and take my time, and just work my way from the top to the bottom. I use my finger to feel any ridges and gradually work everything until it is nice and even and smooth. I've been using the tool head with the cutter set at 45degrees, and just work my way around the curves in there. I think the hardest part is the transition where the shoulder curve meets the curve of the body. It's easy to get a ridge there. Do a few of this shape, you'll have it mastered in no time.