PDA

View Full Version : Ca glue

Harry Robinette
07-03-2011, 11:52 PM
I read or heard somewhere that the CA glue is( for the lack of a better word) releasing so things are coming apart after a certain amount of time, if so whats going to happen with the CA finish.I'd like to do some pendents with CA finish but NOT if it's going to come off in 9 or 10 years these are going to be I hope keep sakes for many years.I can't remember where I read or heard about this so if someone knows please
let me know where it's at and I can contact them for info on this. Or if anyone here knows whats happening please let me know whats happening.
Thanks all

Bill Blasic
07-04-2011, 7:50 AM
Harry,
I firmly believe that if you use fresh CA glue that you will not see failures. People have a tendency to use the glue well past its useful date.
Bill

John Keeton
07-04-2011, 9:05 AM
I think there is a big difference in a "finish" of CA (even though I have never done that!) and affixing something with CA. I have quit using CA to assemble turnings after having multiple failures. It does not hold up well to temperature changes and shock. But, on a small object used as an homogenous finish, I would think it would do fine.

Bernie Weishapl
07-04-2011, 9:15 AM
Harry I have had some things come apart that have been put together with CA about like John thus I don't use it to glue things together. I have a pen that I have used almost everyday for 6 yrs that has a CA finish that has held up well. I have 3 coats of thin on it. Don't know if it will hold up another 6 or more yrs but so far so good.

David E Keller
07-04-2011, 9:50 AM
I've had great luck with CA on pens and stoppers, but I don't know that I think of it as an 'heirloom finish'... I guess I'd lean more toward some type of penetrating finish rather than a pure surface finish for some reason.

Alan Trout
07-04-2011, 9:56 AM
Harry,

I do a lot of fairly large pieces in CA finish Most of my gloss pieces under 8" tall get finished that way and have never had a failure or even show any signs of trouble. The oldest CA finish I have is probably over 4 years old and looks as good as the day that I did it. The only failures I have seen with CA finishes are when boiled linseed oil has been used with the CA. The BLO does not allow the CA to cure properly. I would not hesitate to use it on a pendent.

Alan

Gary Max
07-04-2011, 10:29 AM
I think any glue will release after a certain age but that is different than using CA as a finish.

Wally Dickerman
07-04-2011, 11:11 AM
Harry, I think that CA gets a bum rap. I've been using CA for a long time and I've never had a problem. If there are failures I suspect that it's because the glue was too old when it was used. I always put a date on mine when it's opened. After a period of time I toss whatever is left.

Donny Lawson
07-04-2011, 11:16 AM
I've been using CA for years now any never had a problem with it. It adds a spectacular finish to the product. Only caution is to keep your fingers out of the way of the CA.

John Keeton
07-04-2011, 11:50 AM
Only caution is to keep your fingers out of the way of the CA.Now, that sounds like the voice of experience talking!!;):D:D

Harry Robinette
07-04-2011, 6:00 PM
Thanks all
I guess a CA finish is what the pendents will get.I'd still like to know where the failure question came from,I'm going to have to see if it's possibly on one of the other forums I know I read it somewhere.

Jim Heikes
07-04-2011, 6:34 PM
Friends

An interesting read.............http://www.woodcentral.com/russ/russ6.shtml

Jimmy

Donny Lawson
07-04-2011, 6:53 PM
Now, that sounds like the voice of experience talking!!;):D:D

Yes, I had a great time with the CA yesterday while adding the final coat to my pendant.Trying to use a small amount of paper towel and tooo much CA came out. Glued my fingers before I could get it off. That stuff dries QUICK. Oh,well it's not the first time and it will not be the last.

Jim Burr
07-04-2011, 8:40 PM
As a pen finish...it can't be beat. But I've been working on some herringbone pen blanks and it won't hold worth beans so I went to TB III and no problems.