PDA

View Full Version : Another Creeker Visit

Bernie Weishapl
07-03-2011, 10:40 PM
I had a PM about a month ago wanting to know if we would be home around the 3rd of July. I said yes we would probably be back the 1st of July. Well I had the pleasure and honor of meeting my friend and my good buddy Ken Fitzgerald. He stopped by on their way home. Ken and I started turning about 3 months apart and he was part of the bomb if any of you remember that Andy Hoyt dropped on him. I was part of it and we have been friends ever since. My wife, myself, Ken and his wife Sharon had lunch along with a pleasant visit. Ken and I talked about old times working on electronics both military and civilian. He and Sharon came to the house to see my modest shop and turnings. I also treated them to see my clock repair shop. What a great day. Oh and I think Ken might get some new tools as Sharon wanted him to make a couple of things she saw of mine. He said well I can't do them without the proper tools.:D:rolleyes: Thanks Ken and Sharon for a great visit.

Greg Just
07-03-2011, 10:44 PM
sounds like you guys had a nice visit. Thanks for sharing

Michael James
07-03-2011, 10:45 PM
You guys look like you had a blast! double teaming the bride for tool needs.... hmmmmm I see some possibilities here.
Thanks for posting.
mj

Roger Chandler
07-03-2011, 10:47 PM
Great Creeker get together there............nice to see you guys connect after all these years, and great to get caught up........good luck Ken on the new tools and make sure to post when you get those turnings done for SWMBO!! :D;)

Steve Schlumpf
07-03-2011, 10:55 PM
Very happy to see two of my good friends be able to spend some time together! Great photos! Thanks for sharing!

Ken Fitzgerald
07-03-2011, 11:49 PM
If any turners need help greasing the skids for some new turning tools, it's certainly worth a visit with Bernie!

It was truly an honor and a pleasure to finally meet Bernie and his lovely wife Maryann. Sharon and I enjoyed our short visit and hope to enjoy the pleasure of their company in the future too!

Thanks again Bernie!

John Keeton
07-04-2011, 8:12 AM
Bernie, I don't understand why you are so privileged to have a visit from Ken!!! His sister lives right here in KY, and I can't entice him to visit me!!!:confused::D:D Must be the quality beer you have in your fridge!;):p I guess I will need to do some beer shopping before I can get Ken here!!!

Great times, and excellent pics, BTW. Hard to pick which of you guys is grinnin' the biggest.

Tony De Masi
07-04-2011, 8:46 AM
Nice to see you guys finally get together. I remember Ken posting some time ago that Bernie was on his list of Creekers to meet and it's great to see that happen for both of you.

JK, maybe it's not the beer????

Bernie Weishapl
07-04-2011, 9:12 AM
Thanks. It was my pleasure for sure. Ken is one of the all around good guys for sure and his wife is a gem for sure. My wife really had a nice visit with Sharon. She really enjoyed the time.

John I don't think it is the beer it is the good water here.:eek::D:rolleyes:

I think I see some Easy Wood Tools and 4 more skews in Ken's future.:D;) He said he needed 4 more skews so he has 8 to keep up and better the Weishapls 7 skews.:D Oh and the SWMBO gave him orders for at least 3 things she wants turned.

Ken, you and Sharon drive safe. Talk to you when you get home.

David E Keller
07-04-2011, 9:39 AM
That's great! I think it's so cool when folks get to meet up after knowing each other for so long online... It's even better when there's a covert(maybe overt?) mission to get more tools for the boys!

Is is just me, or does Ken need to update his avatar photo?:D

John Keeton
07-04-2011, 10:00 AM
Is is just me, or does Ken need to update his avatar photo?:DYou mean to the somewhat older, more mature, more handsome pic that has been posted?????:D:D:D

Pete Jordan
07-04-2011, 10:20 AM
Two of my all time favorites!

I am jealous!

bob svoboda
07-04-2011, 11:15 AM
Sounds like a great visit. I love the "I need some more tools" angle!

Ken Fitzgerald
07-04-2011, 8:05 PM
1. There was no beer consumed or mentioned.

2. John......my sister moved from Kentucky back to Illinois last September. I saw her twice while I was in the Fairbury, IL area.

3. The last year has added a good 35 lbs to my frame and I will update my update my avatar when I get on my home computer. Seriously, I don't like being photographed. This is one of the few you will see taken of me.

charlie knighton
07-04-2011, 8:17 PM
7 skews.......i should close my mouth i guess

Ken.....hint, hint get your blood suger checked, espically if you are drinking more water than ususal....ask me how i know....better to gain like that than lose like that.....ask me how i know

Ken Fitzgerald
07-04-2011, 9:47 PM
Charlie, I just had a complete physical 2 weeks ago. No blood sugar or any other problems.

I went to sleep 12 months ago and woke up deaf. They don't have a clue about the cause of my sudden deafness but regardless, I had to retire. For 9 months all I did was worry about how we would financially survive as I couldn't continue my 34 year profession as a deaf person for safety reasons and my income was 85% of our total income. The huge global company I worked for took care of us and about 6 weeks ago I realized we would survive financially. I then got over my minor bout of worry and depression and started becoming active in life again. I started exercising and will pick it back up as soon as we return home. We have been on vacation and should, God willing, arrive home tomorrow.

Thanks for the concern!

Baxter Smith
07-04-2011, 9:51 PM
Congrats on the get together. Sounds like a good time!

Bernie Weishapl
07-04-2011, 10:47 PM
Ken good to hear the driving is going well. Be safe. Oh by the way Ken we started our exercise program today with a 2 mile fast paced walk.

By the way we got home on Friday before Ken and Sharon came from a month long vacation to North Carolina. So it all worked out and we got home for the visit.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-05-2011, 7:56 AM
BTW Bernie....while driving from Laramie, WY yesterday, I thought about that "Receive Audio" amplifier used for speakers in control towers. I will retract my statement and agree with you.....when the AC keys the mike, the output of the amplifier is opened or removed from the speaker not...shorted as my poor memory initially thought. So, in fact, you and I troubleshot and fixed identical problems..........years and miles apart.

just swapping the miswired pair of wires causes the relay to be energized and disconnect the audio when the mike is keyed....

Bernie Weishapl
07-05-2011, 9:48 AM
Hey Ken sometimes I can't remember what I did 5 minutes ago let alone 25 yrs ago.LOL You can be sure we repaired many of the same problems.

Drive safe my friend. Tell the LOYL hello for us.

Tim Thiebaut
07-05-2011, 12:26 PM
Hey glad you guys had a chance to get together and meet after knowing each other for so long. Always nice when you get the ok to buy some new tools to!

Ken, I know alot about how depression can effect a person, besides the fact I have always wanted to get into turning one of the main reasons I got my lathe last Dec was to give me something postive to focus on and give myself an outlet for my creative side, I have gained about 80lbs in the past 4 years since my injury...since Dec I have lost #20 of that and still working on it. I think I have the depression behind me now, and just looking forward. Glad you are starting to feel better and come out of it as well!

Ken Fitzgerald
07-05-2011, 11:26 PM
Well folks.....we arrived home about 1800 this evening. We spent last night in Pocatello, Id and drove home a different route than we had ever taken before. We took US-26/US-20 to US-93 through Challis and Salmon, ID. Gorgeous country.

If you ever happen out our way, 2 routes I would recommend......US 30 from Kemmerer, Wy to I-15....a stunningly gorgeous drive. We drove it late last August during our dry season.....from high elevation desert to mountain scenery...We drove it again yesterday in our Green season...... Gorgeous......add to that the Swan Valley of eastern Idaho.

The 2nd route I have driven so many times I have lost count and it is still one of the most beautiful drives in our entire country.....US-12 from Lolo, MT to Lewiston, ID......215 miles along rivers and the greenest mountains in this country......The Lochsa River...The Clearwater River........ I'll never tire of this beautiful drive.

But alas....it's good to be home.

Bernie.....The Best Things has the Sorby Spiral tool for $169.99......everybody else is $20-$30 higher....

A trip to the Spokane Woodcraft should find 2 Jet air filtration systems in the rear of my Honda Pilot.

Thanks again my friend!