PDA

View Full Version : Spalted Holly/Cherry Design Advice

Nate Davey
07-03-2011, 10:32 PM
I wanted to try another piece along the lines of the cherry bowl I recently posted. The thickness and width of the cherry dictates the size and depth. I also wanted to try some "embellishments" so with my trusty Dremel and the tiny grinding burr that came with it, I went to work. There is no finish on it yet and not final sanded, but wanted your thoughts on the embellishment ring so it's really horrible and unfixable I can wipe it out and do something else. Thanks for looking.

John Keeton
07-03-2011, 10:36 PM
Nate, did you inset the holly bowl? Interesting concept! Hard to tell much with the pics, but from what I can see, I like it.

Michael James
07-03-2011, 10:51 PM
Looks good from here Nate! Almost look like inlaid dowels in that rim. I'd sure finish it! Thanks for upping the pics.
mj

Bernie Weishapl
07-03-2011, 10:55 PM
Looks good Nate. Did you inset the Holly?

Jim Burr
07-03-2011, 11:05 PM
That looks really cool Nate! How did you burn the top?

Harry Robinette
07-03-2011, 11:29 PM
Nate
I'm with Jim B how did you burn the ring,really neat idea, I like it and would defiantly finish it.

Dennis Ford
07-04-2011, 7:24 AM
Looks good to me also.

Nate Davey
07-04-2011, 8:54 AM
Thanks all for the kind comments. The Holly insert as a trued up bowl blank which fit into a mortice I cut in the cherry, then hollowed the holly bowl piece. Not sure I could come close to making two bowl shapes match. The ring is not burnt, it's magic marker, though you've got me thinking about how to burn a ring like that. I'll finish it up and post when it's done.

David E Keller
07-04-2011, 9:44 AM
It's a cool idea, Nate! I think I might like the contrast ring even better if it were all black... You could go back over it with the marker or even use something like milk paint. I hope you'll post some photos of the finished product whatever you decide.

Nate Davey
07-04-2011, 9:51 AM
It's a cool idea, Nate! I think I might like the contrast ring even better if it were all black... You could go back over it with the marker or even use something like milk paint. I hope you'll post some photos of the finished product whatever you decide.

I thought about leaving the ring black, but it looked really plain.......maybe if i blacken the divots.....

David E Keller
07-04-2011, 9:53 AM
I thought about leaving the ring black, but it looked really plain.......maybe if i blacken the divots.....

I didn't do a good job of describing what I had in mind, but you said it! You'd still get the texture from the carving, but it would be more subtle.

Alan Trout
07-04-2011, 10:02 AM
Nate, I like the idea. It is one of those things I would have to see in person to really give any advice on but overall the concept seems to work well.

Alan