PDA

View Full Version : Walnut from Doug Swanson

Kathy Marshall
07-03-2011, 10:27 PM
A couple months ago I received a nice chunk of walnut from Doug Swanson, I've been letting it sit in it's bag until the humidity here rose a bit. Well the monsoon season is here and the humidity's up so I thought today would be a good day to turn it.
I decided to turn a thank you bowl for one of my sisters (she's offered to drive me to the hospital for my surgery and bring me home the next day, that's about a 3 1/2 hour trip for her each time).
I really like how this one turned out. It's just a basic bowl form, but I really like the contrast with the sapwood and the patterns it made.
It's about 9 x 4 with a walnut oil finish, turned green to completion. There's a little bit of warping so far, but I don't mind that as long as it doesn't crack.
Thanks again Doug for a beautiful chunk of wood!

This is what the Arizona Monsoon looks like! This dust storm started to roll in just as I was finishing the bowl. In the 2nd pic the dust has just about wiped out the sun. This was at about 5pm.

Thanks for looking!
As always comments and critiques are welcome.

Bernie Weishapl
07-03-2011, 10:56 PM
Kathy that is a great looking bowl out of some really nice looking wood. Yep the dust storms are a pain. We get them here occasionally but along with the dust comes the tumbleweeds.

Dennis Ford
07-04-2011, 7:33 AM
The bowl looks great. I grew up with dust storms in West Texas but we never called them "Monsoons".

Roger Chandler
07-04-2011, 8:11 AM
Nice bowl Kathy.........with that dust storm coming on the horizon, you could name it "Dust Bowl!" :D

Sorry to hear of your need for surgery...........will send up a prayer in your behalf! Trusting every thing will be fine in a few days, a speedy recovery with no complications, and not too much time till you can be back at the lathe...........

Hang in there!

Doug W Swanson
07-04-2011, 8:22 AM
Nice looking bowl, Kathy. I like the color variations and the half circles on each end. The little foot is a nice touch, too!

I was in Phoenix a few years ago when one of those dust storms rolled through. It was a unique experience!

I'm sure your sister will be pleased!

John Keeton
07-04-2011, 8:25 AM
Nice work, Kathy, and the sapwood really adds some character! Hope you heal quickly, and you can keep the duststorms - don't need any here!

Curt Fuller
07-04-2011, 11:02 AM
That's a great bowl! I like the way you kept all the interesting wood.

Don't know how you desert dwellers can handle the heat, dust, and then the intense humidity of those afternoon monsoons. I'm wimpering around here just because it got close to 100 yesterday.

ray hampton
07-06-2011, 10:32 PM
Kathy, go ahead and send the dust storms to Kentucky and all point East ,,the dust that fall in Ky will be send down to New Orleans by two of Ky rivers, the Ohio and the Mississippi

Chris Burgess
07-07-2011, 8:59 AM
Kathy, you really need to slow down your lathe speed. Your neighbors must get pretty tired of you kicking up these dust storms everytime you make a bowl.:D

Sorry to here about your up coming op. Prayer coming to lift you up.

And AWESOME bowl. the way you just scratched the dark wood leaving the awesome pattern in the sap really makes me want to cut up one of my black walnut logs and see if I can create something along those lines. You have an amazing talent and a great eye for form. Thanks for sharing.