PDA

View Full Version : Ambrosia/Walnut - Work in Progress

Roger Chandler
07-03-2011, 9:59 PM
I had some free time this afternoon, and after a very busy month of June, I decided to have some time in the shop.

This is a piece of ambrosia maple.......from a neighbors tree.......see the thread about the wood.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?163067-quot-Little-quot-ambrosia-gloat-of-massive-proportions&highlight=

Anyway this is a work in progress........only a coat of shellac to serve as a sealer, and I have some sanding to do still........a little end grain roughness, that I have to get out of the inside, and then a light sanding and some WOP.

I like this combination of ambrosia and walnut. the tree was so big that the wide growth rings and ambrosia beetle marks compliment one another I think.

Size is approx 9.75 inches tall and 5.25 inches wide. This was made beefy on purpose..............my better half likes it already, so I guess it will likely end up as something she keeps.

Jon Nuckles
07-03-2011, 10:24 PM
I like the way the walnut helps to accentuate the ambrosia marks in the maple, and it is always nice to please the wife!

John Keeton
07-03-2011, 10:30 PM
Roger, Ambrosia Maple and walnut is a perfect combo!! I have used it several times, and love it. It served you well here, too. Nice transition into the cup, good proportions and a nice overall appearance! Great job!

Roger Chandler
07-03-2011, 10:38 PM
Roger, Ambrosia Maple and walnut is a perfect combo!! I have used it several times, and love it. It served you well here, too. Nice transition into the cup, good proportions and a nice overall appearance! Great job!

Thanks John!

Bernie Weishapl
07-03-2011, 10:50 PM
Really a nice combination Roger. The walnut really sets off the ambrosia. Well done.

Roger Chandler
07-03-2011, 11:21 PM
Really a nice combination Roger. The walnut really sets off the ambrosia. Well done.

I agree about the combination of ambrosia and walnut....I think the dark color of the walnut really picks up the ambrosia streaks and makes for a symmetrical look. Thanks Bernie!

Scott Hackler
07-03-2011, 11:39 PM
I agree, the ambrosia and walnut are meant for each other. Great color combo. I will remember this as I bought a couple small pieces of ambosia from Mike Smith and was wondering what to do with it. :)

Tim Thiebaut
07-04-2011, 7:32 AM
That looks great Roger, those woods go well together, and like the form alot as well.

Roger Chandler
07-04-2011, 7:52 AM
I agree, the ambrosia and walnut are meant for each other. Great color combo. I will remember this as I bought a couple small pieces of ambosia from Mike Smith and was wondering what to do with it. :)

Scott,

I almost glued up a rim piece of walnut.........that would have made a more striking appearance, but I did not have the time.....I kinda of did this one on impulse.........just wanted to get out and turn something with the afternoon free.

Is something like that what you had in mind for your piece?

Roger Chandler
07-04-2011, 7:52 AM
That looks great Roger, those woods go well together, and like the form alot as well.

Thanks Tim!

Roger Chandler
07-04-2011, 10:00 PM
Here is the ambrosia/ walnut form with WOP on it after another round of sanding.........very smooth.

Since this is approximately 10 inches tall and 5.25 wide, what would you call it......a vase with stem base or just a huge goblet? I wanted it to be a familiar form with some uses that might include some type of arrangement...........hard to say what to call it for sure. Any ideas?

charlie knighton
07-04-2011, 10:15 PM
my better half likes it already,

don't matter what we think, keep her happy

very nice

Dane Fuller
07-04-2011, 10:27 PM
Very nice Roger. That ambrosia is some beautiful wood.

John Keeton
07-04-2011, 10:36 PM
A manly goblet, Roger...a manly goblet!!

Roger Chandler
07-04-2011, 10:49 PM
A manly goblet, Roger...a manly goblet!!

John,

:D:D:D.........that's funny! How about a fancy name like "The Ambrosia Chalice?" Like it was some significant rendering of some storied, but altogether infamous "R-teeest's" rendering of some,........... well, ..............

maybe not!!!:rolleyes::D:D:eek::D

David DeCristoforo
07-04-2011, 11:14 PM
Very nice Roger! I kinda wish you had gone with the walnut rim. would have made it very "Hartlike". But it's very nice as is. I'm going to have to try some of this WOP stuff...

Roger Chandler
07-05-2011, 7:37 AM
Thanks DD..........I may try that walnut rim on another piece that is bigger than this one, only it is likely to be a bowl form. On the other thread about that maple you posted "I see many bowls in your future" so that is the likely scenario with this wood....

...I also have some outside per Baxter Smith's suggestion just allowing it to spalt away...........hopefully I will catch it in its prime condition for turning some nice things from it as well.

Michelle Rich
07-05-2011, 11:02 AM
Goblet for the Hulk? when I saw the pics with the finish , I began to like the ambrosia even more. Big enuf for a planter?? :-)

James Combs
07-05-2011, 11:30 AM
Exceptionally pretty wood, great finish and I like the overall effect. The only thing I would have changed if it had been mine is that the base would have been closer to the same diameter as the "bowl" with appropriate transitions for the bigger foot of course.

Roger Chandler
07-05-2011, 12:27 PM
Goblet for the Hulk? when I saw the pics with the finish , I began to like the ambrosia even more. Big enuf for a planter?? :-)

Michelle,

:D.......a base for an arrangement of some sort........maybe..........I just thought this piece of wood lent itself to a familiar form and size that would make folks take a second look, and say........."what could I do with that?"

Thanks for looking and posting!

Roger Chandler
07-05-2011, 12:30 PM
Exceptionally pretty wood, great finish and I like the overall effect. The only thing I would have changed if it had been mine is that the base would have been closer to the same diameter as the "bowl" with appropriate transitions for the bigger foot of course.

Thanks JD!

Roger Chandler
07-05-2011, 7:50 PM

Michelle,

On another forum a person said a goblet this size could be called a "trophy vase," but I like "Ambrosia Chalice" better, and well as far as a planter goes................eh, maybe not! ;)

Rich Aldrich
07-05-2011, 10:38 PM
Roger - that is a really nice goblet. Did I see this earlier on AAW?

Roger Chandler
07-05-2011, 11:10 PM
Roger - that is a really nice goblet. Did I see this earlier on AAW?

Rich,

I did post it in the forum galleries, along with some of my other turnings.