PDA

View Full Version : GLOAT - finds on my vacation

Chris Griggs
07-03-2011, 8:29 PM
This weekend my fiance and I are visiting her family in Bucks County PA. I, of course, had to use this as a opportunity to hunt for old tools, which are not easy to find in New Orleans where we currently reside. So far I've had some great finds.

1. 3 nice handsaws - Two 5 1/2 point rip and one 8 point xcut - all 26". Both rips are nearly dead straight and have nice stiff blades The xcut was was pretty bent up. I hammered it straight on my future father in laws anvil, but there's very little tension left in the blade so it will never be a great user. Two of the saw have Warreneted Superior Medallians, but the third is one of the nicest thumhole D8s I've ever seen. Total cost - $4 for all three.

2. A North Bros Yankee 2101 Bell System 10" brace. At $25 I think I did pretty well.

3. A nearly full set of Jennings Auger bits in the original box. Nos 9 and 10 are missing, but the 11 remaining bits are is quite good shape. I haggled the price of these down from $50 to $40, which to my knowledge is a pretty good price for a set like this.

4. Upon my arrival to PA my future father in law handed me this little Stanley 75. Nothing fancy - but could prove to be useful and I'm certainly not one to turn down a free plane.

5. We'll call these last 2 to things a future gloat. They belong to my finances father and mother, but perhaps someday they will be passed to me.

A nearly perfect 30" disston miter box saw - with its original miter box.

And a big nearly 2 ft long anvil.

Hope you've enjoyed this gloat - will post more pics I find any other cool things on my trip. Actually I found and passed up several other great tools including a Stanley 45, some nice spokeshaves and #42 saw set, and a Millar falls 18C, just to name a few. VACATION IS FUN!

Archie England
07-03-2011, 8:59 PM
You're doing great, Chris. Keep it up. I look forward to seeing these new tools put into service. And, that anvil is a fantastic future tool. Don't let anybody "shoo" that one!

Archie

Terry Beadle
07-04-2011, 10:30 AM
Man the gloat birds must be sending a full flock to your house !

That anvil is the real gem. Hard to find good ones.

Chris Griggs
07-04-2011, 11:36 AM
Man the gloat birds must be sending a full flock to your house !

That anvil is the real gem. Hard to find good ones.

Here's hoping I inherit it someday - but hopefully not anytime soon.

Peter Scoma
07-04-2011, 10:46 PM
Nice finds. Where is bucks county did you find these?

PJS

Chris Griggs
07-05-2011, 7:31 AM
Nice finds. Where is bucks county did you find these?

PJS

The brace and bits were found in an antique store in Quaker town. There are 3 antique stores there and they had a fair amount of stuff - some way overpriced and some very reasonably priced.

The saws were found at a small antique store in Milford, NJ - just across the river from Upper Black Edy, PA

In about a year we are going to be leaving New Orleans and moving to/near the Philly - can't wait to be so close to so many great old tools.

Bill Houghton
07-05-2011, 10:27 PM
4. Upon my arrival to PA my future father in law handed me this little Stanley 75. Nothing fancy - but could prove to be useful and I'm certainly not one to turn down a free plane.

I found the No. 75 darned awkward to use until I modified it. The problem is that the iron sticks up out the back of the plane exactly where it can stab you in the fingers or palm. I could never find a comfortable grip. Adding a palm rest helped tremendously. Just a chunk of hardwood cut to fit the back of the body, held on by a screw from inside the body, and then rasped and sanded to a smooth rest in back. As I said when posting this on another forum back when I did it, it resembles a Barsoomian pickup truck on the way to the dump with a load of yard waste tarped down in back; but it is a lot more comfortable.

Peter Scoma
07-05-2011, 11:57 PM
Thanks for the tip! If you are around the philly area take the drive out to Adamstown, PA. Tons of cool antique tool dealers and some incredible antique furniture to see as well. Email me if you'd like further info.

PJS

Bill Rusnak
07-06-2011, 10:41 PM
The brace and bits were found in an antique store in Quaker town. There are 3 antique stores there and they had a fair amount of stuff - some way overpriced and some very reasonably priced.

The saws were found at a small antique store in Milford, NJ - just across the river from Upper Black Edy, PA

In about a year we are going to be leaving New Orleans and moving to/near the Philly - can't wait to be so close to so many great old tools.

I was there this weekend and I believe I saw the brace, but missed the bits. Good for you. I picked up a Disston D8 rip saw at one of them for $4. Your $4 lot was a steal. The handle is cracked in a few places and is missing the horms but it has the thumb hole, the plate is great with no missing teeth, and I figure I can use the busted handle as a partial pattern.

Good luck with the move. We moved from 10 miles away last August and it was a ton of work getting all the shop stuff from one place to the other. I don't envy you moving from a half a country away.

Bill