PDA

View Full Version : Fastest way to rip wood

John Coloccia
07-03-2011, 7:25 PM
Fast forward to :25 and watch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_sGwQ3bMv8&feature=youtu.be

Phil Thien
07-03-2011, 8:01 PM
Watched the entire thing. Impressive. Wish I undersoon Japanese.

Just watching him sit on the floor and work makes my back ache!

george wilson
07-03-2011, 8:13 PM
I am sure a lot was left out,but I wonder what is holding those drawers together besides glue? Near the end there was a bit of hidden dovetailing shown being done on the corners of the case. He had no bevels on the edges of his chisel. Neither did I when making the dovetails in the movie about making the spinet. Just angled the chisel to get into the dovetails.

John Coloccia
07-03-2011, 8:29 PM
I am sure a lot was left out,but I wonder what is holding those drawers together besides glue? Near the end there was a bit of hidden dovetailing shown being done on the corners of the case. He had no bevels on the edges of his chisel. Neither did I when making the dovetails in the movie about making the spinet. Just angled the chisel to get into the dovetails.

I was thinking the same thing when I saw him assemble the drawers. To me, it looks like a very basic box joint in the back, maybe a half lap on the front, and I don't know what on the bottom, with a couple of drops of glue. To me it looks like the whole thing is ready to fall apart, so I don't really know what's going on there.

If you look at the all the poster's videos, there's quite a few videos like this. There's another 2 parts to this video but you have to go to his channel and scroll quite a ways to find them. I will post them here just because I know how to find them and to be complete about it.

Part 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_p7libPJKg&feature=youtu.be

Part 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6xP9ShD4rk&feature=youtu.be

John Coloccia
07-03-2011, 8:33 PM
FYI:

It's from the same user that posted this 6 part series some time ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85GrCHbdaJ4&feature=youtu.be

Jim Koepke
07-03-2011, 8:59 PM
Just watching him sit on the floor and work makes my back ache!

Same here, I could do that maybe 30 years ago. Getting back up was/is the hard part.

jtk

Mike Siemsen
07-03-2011, 9:05 PM
File that under things we forget. A slitter was part of every Stanley 45. Cutting gauges do the same thing, softwood is best for this.
Mike

michael a nelson
07-03-2011, 9:25 PM
im going to have to try this method next time im in the shop

Harlan Barnhart
07-03-2011, 9:28 PM
John, why did you force me to watch those... again. I just can't stop. I really admire the simple beauty of his work but he must know something I don't about wood movement to expect those drawer bottoms to work out.

John Coloccia
07-03-2011, 9:37 PM
FYI: this is for the newcomers who may not be familiar with cutting gauges. That's not a standard, western style scratch marking gauge. That sucker's got an actual knife in it and is quite useful for cutting veneer, in addition to marking (I don't even own a scratch style gauge anymore).

re: wood movement

Along with what George said, I know what you mean...it just doesn't seem right but it obviously works so we're missing something. Maybe it's the kind of wood. It seems and "sounds" soft and not very dense, and maybe it's just a very pliable species of wood so that wood movement is really not an issue. Dunno.

I love what looks like to be a giant Hellman's mayonnaise jar full of glue, and how they apply it. Makes my glue bottle squirting and pinky spreading seem downright barbaric. These guys can go to work dressed nicely and not get a drop of anything on them. I come up from a long day in the shop and I look I had a fight with the Titebond monster....I have shavings everywhere, including in all my pockets and in my shoes (somehow). These guys look like they just stepped out of the bath, as neat and relaxed as ever.

Harlan Barnhart
07-03-2011, 9:44 PM
Who said stopped dadoes are difficult with hand tools? Part 2, 2:00.

Brian Ashton
07-04-2011, 2:23 AM
I really found it interesting how he started planing the wood. Anyone got an explanation for that.

David Wong
07-04-2011, 3:35 AM
I believe he is using Kiri (Pawlonia) wood. It is very soft similar to balsa. Needs sharp tools to work with to cut clean.

Pam Niedermayer
07-04-2011, 4:31 AM
I really found it interesting how he started planing the wood. Anyone got an explanation for that.

Looked quite normal to me. What do you find interesting?

Pam

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
07-04-2011, 6:41 AM
I love what looks like to be a giant Hellman's mayonnaise jar full of glue, and how they apply it. Makes my glue bottle squirting and pinky spreading seem downright barbaric. These guys can go to work dressed nicely and not get a drop of anything on them. I come up from a long day in the shop and I look I had a fight with the Titebond monster....I have shavings everywhere, including in all my pockets and in my shoes (somehow). These guys look like they just stepped out of the bath, as neat and relaxed as ever.

I didn't get time to see the whole thing before heading to work, but after viewing a similar video here, (probably the 6 part series you link further on in this thread; the videos don't even show up at work) I had a go at applying my glue with pallette knives; for pretty much everything, it's how I do it now. It's quicker and less messy, and after a little practice, I can get a small box or other joinery type situation glued up in half the time. I've got a few different knives from my painting days, different sizes and shapes for different jobs, works great.

Chris Fournier
07-04-2011, 8:46 AM
The softness of that wood should help put many Japanese tools in context for the western woodworker. The video would look a lot different had someone snuck into the shop and substituted white oak for the Kiri!

It would be nice to have a studio off to one side of the shop where time and money allowed that sort of work one day a week. I would likely be found stuck to the floor with the big pot of glue on its side. Neat video clip, thanks for posting it John.

Walter Plummer
07-04-2011, 8:49 AM
My back might take it but I have to go ice my knees now from just watching it.

Carl L Goff
07-04-2011, 10:02 AM
Well, I liked the wood he has in his workbench. Looks like a piece of crotch cherry to me.

Terry Beadle
07-04-2011, 10:25 AM
It looked to me like he used his eye to see which side of the board had a crown and which side had a concavity. He then planed the concavity side edges until they were close to flat and made sure the board would not rock. He then put the crown up and performed cross grain leveling using very lite cuts and then with the grain finish strokes. He then flipped the board back to the previous concavity side and finished with the grain planing it flat. His jigs to shoot the sides and ends took care of the other surfaces.

Once done he had a dead flat square work piece.

I wished they had shown how he does his dove tail lay outs. That 45 degree shooting board and plane set up was really niffty too.

The secret is to get some of those slippers with a separate big toe holder. That allows one to bend down, sit down, and hold down the work pieces. For me, a rope tied to the cieling would take care of getting back up...hoot! I wonder if those jogging shoes with 5 toes that were recently banned by the US Army would increase your control 4 more times ! Hoot!

Sam Takeuchi
07-04-2011, 10:26 AM
This kiri (paulownia) wood is extremely light, and soft, but not as soft as balsa. Kiri has been used extensively in Japan for high quality furnitures and musical instrument like koto, a string instrument that has a long hollow kiri body with multiple strings. One of the most prized qualities of the kiri is it shuts humidity out and doesn't move much at all. Also those drawers are made to extremely tight tolerance, nearly air tight so that humidity as well as bugs won't go inside. I don't hear them getting stuck inside due to wood movement, I guess it's a non-issue.

The softness of that wood should help put many Japanese tools in context for the western woodworker. The video would look a lot different had someone snuck into the shop and substituted white oak for the Kiri!I don't get how this person working on the kiri puts many Japanese tools into context. Is Japanese tools = softwood again?

David Keller NC
07-04-2011, 10:27 AM
I believe he is using Kiri (Pawlonia) wood. It is very soft similar to balsa. Needs sharp tools to work with to cut clean.

While possible, another more traditional wood for the secondary parts of a tansu cabinet would Cryptomeria Japonica (japanese cedar). It is similarly quite soft and light. Interestingly enough, there is a very popular variety of c. japonica that is called "tansu". Not sure if that's a coincidence or not. The outside of the cabinet would traditionally be made of japanese grey bark elm (Zelkova sp.).

One thing that I found particularly interesting about the first video is the craftsman's method for joining the case sides - mitered full-blind dovetails, and he method for cutting them. It appears that he's made an end-grain cut along the width of the case side to separate the pins/tails from the part that he miters. That would make over-sawing the waste to remove the part between the pins a whole lot easier.

David Weaver
07-04-2011, 11:43 AM
I would kind of like to work sitting like that. I have more trouble leaning over at a bench, standing up or sitting straight up than I do sitting down. Plus, if you do it, you won't lose the ability to do it over time.

Phil Thien
07-04-2011, 3:58 PM
Plus, if you do it, you won't lose the ability to do it over time.

Kinda like doing yoga while woodworking.

Staffan Hamala
07-04-2011, 5:15 PM
One of the related videos was interesting to see:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5e_syOvQHiY

I don't know what he makes, but it sure looks solid. Nice looking joinery that finally ends up inside the finished project.

Sam Takeuchi
07-04-2011, 5:24 PM
He's making this thing called mikoshi. It's a small shrine like structure people carry for festivals and such. They are built very sturdily as they can't come loose while being carried and must withstand a lot of movement

Peter Cobb
07-06-2011, 1:45 AM
Sort of "Frank-ami Klausz-amoto"... really cool workmanship.
Using an azebiki? for stopped dados and then the mitred half lap, a thing of beauty. The stock selection and prep. Didn't understand a word except for shokunin (when they were showing his tools) and kiri when they showed the stock. (my japanese is limited to 2 years of judo in my school years). But seems absolutely spot on if shokunin is what Odate says it is (FWW magazine read a long time ago).
Another "Klausz moment" at the end: "If it doesn't go together don't force it, get a bigger hammer"
Thanks John C. for the link.
Cheers,
Peter

Steve Branam
07-06-2011, 6:16 AM
Awesome video! It's always fascinating to watch an efficient worker at work. No words necessary, just the sound of the tools. He's clearly done this a few times before!

john brenton
07-06-2011, 9:49 AM
You got anything for resawing? Hiiiiiiiiiiii-yaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!