PDA

View Full Version : Sorby lathe purchase?

Luke Townsley
07-03-2011, 5:41 PM
I'm looking at possibly purchasing a Sorby lathe. I haven't seen it yet, but the owner says it has a 6' bed. I can't find much information on these.

I have been turning on a 30 year old Rockwell lathe with about an 11 inch capacity over the gap. I really want a larger lathe, but my main complaint about this lathe is that it has a 6 amp 1/3 hp motor. For roughing out bowls, the lack of power is very frustrating. Also, it doesn't have a regular banjo, just a tool rest with a bolt through it.

I added almost 200 hundred pounds of mdf and beefed up the stand, so it will handle out of round stuff pretty well now.

I mostly do bowls and don't expect to get into more than the occasional spindle. Also, I don't have much to spend right now. If I had more to spend, I would be looking at a Nova.

Has anyone used a Sorby lathe? Are parts still available?

Regarding my current lathe, would it help a lot if I got a 3/4 HP motor with a run capacitor? Counting the pulley I would have to change, I would be in for about $200 and maybe 30-60 minutes installation time.

Steve Schlumpf
07-03-2011, 9:19 PM
Luke - I've never heard of a Sorby lathe - so had to look it up! Sorby Lathe (http://www.lathes.co.uk/sorby/) The write-up sounds good but only you can determine if the lathe is a step-up from what you already have or not. Sounds like what you have is working for you at the moment and, just my opinion, but I would save my money and go for the Nova. I know that Nova has a lot of very happy users out there!

Good luck and please start posting some photos of your work!

charlie knighton
07-03-2011, 9:31 PM
Luke, it does sound interesting, does that fancy chuck come with it, and do they still make it. i have never seen the chuck offered on the board.

Bernie Weishapl
07-03-2011, 11:02 PM
Sounds good but I think I would wait and save for the Nova. I have the Nova DVR XP and love it. I would want to know if they still made it and can you get parts for it.

Harry Robinette
07-04-2011, 12:08 AM
I think I'd wait for the Nova,allot more lathe for the money,also getting parts could be a
problem.

Josh Bowman
07-04-2011, 6:41 AM
Parts and accessories would be your primary concern. I'm betting unless you live in England, you may have troubles here. I'd shop around for a used motor and soup up what you have, until something more common comes along.
I know someone who 1st answered this post that might have a Jet 1642 for sell in the near future:D

Luke Townsley
07-04-2011, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the input everyone. That really helps. I'm planning to go look at the Sorby tomorrow since it is close to me.

A Jet 1642 would be nice. I can supply a shipping address to anyone who wants to get rid of theirs...

Josh Bowman
07-04-2011, 2:01 PM
A Jet 1642 would be nice. I can supply a shipping address to anyone who wants to get rid of theirs...

Steve, here's your chance.;);););):eek:

Luke Townsley
07-05-2011, 7:35 PM
I went by to look at the Sorby, and the owner didn't show. In the meantime, I found a used motor and pulley to upgrade my existing machine. I'm definitely going to keep my eyes open for a bigger machine though.