PDA

View Full Version : Band Saw Problem!!

Ed Breen
02-14-2005, 4:06 PM
Hi All, :mad:
I use an ancient Dupli-Carver model 249 band saw. It hs a 24" throat, and I've grown quite used to it. I bought it second hand with no manual. Up til now I've had no problem, however, my starret blade just broke and I ordered 3 new ones from Suffolk Machinery. The blade keeps riding off the wheels (3 wheel machine). This machine has a bolt on the outside of each axle and I'm wondering if this causes the wheel to "toe" in or out. Can anyone shed some light on this.
Thanks for the ears.
Ed

Bart Leetch
02-14-2005, 5:55 PM
Hi All, :mad:
I use an ancient Dupli-Carver model 249 band saw. It hs a 24" throat, and I've grown quite used to it. I bought it second hand with no manual. Up til now I've had no problem, however, my starret blade just broke and I ordered 3 new ones from Suffolk Machinery. The blade keeps riding off the wheels (3 wheel machine). This machine has a bolt on the outside of each axle and I'm wondering if this causes the wheel to "toe" in or out. Can anyone shed some light on this.
Thanks for the ears.
Ed

Thats the way my old Sears 12" band-saw works. Spin it by hand & give a try adjusting the top one.

Steve Stube
02-14-2005, 9:49 PM
On a 3 wheel bandsaw only one wheel is adjustable for setting the blade tracking (toe in & out as you say), of coarse all three wheels have to be capable of occupying the same plane. A bad bearing, dropped shim, snap ring or set collar out of place or a loose axle shaft can lead to the blade wandering on the tire.