PDA

View Full Version : My first lathe

Bob Jones
07-03-2011, 12:28 AM
Well, I bought a lathe. I build furniture for fun and I have been looking for a lathe for a while for occasional use. I paid $370 for the lathe, 3 tool rests, and the tools pictured here. I hope I did ok. Most of the tools are Buck Brothers and Delta. I have not run it yet because I want to grease everything first and check it all out. The previous owner inherited it (from the original owner) and claimed that it has not been used much. The belt sure looks new. I don't know how old it is, but I am guessing late 80's.

It did not have an owners manual. The model number is 46-541P. I called Delta and they have no records that old. Any idea where I can get a manual? That would be really helpful for checking that everything is hooked up right.

I am working on a chest of drawers now, but I expect this lathe will be my next project. So, is turning tough? :)

mickey cassiba
07-03-2011, 2:16 AM
Bob, I have the Service manual pages covering the -541, but I cannot find the 'P' identifier. No User manual, but I can scan the Parts list and service notes for you.

Bob Vallaster
07-03-2011, 7:38 AM
Bob,
You can go here: http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/detail.aspx?id=1141&tab=3
...and search for your manual.

As to the tools.
There is a threesome near front row/center and a stray (white handle) near centerfield that appear to be carving tools. I recommend not using them on the lathe. Their handles are too short for mechanical advantage (in leverage) and their tangs are likely too small to resist bending or breaking in use.
The group of like-handled tools on the left looks like Sorby. These have been sold under house names (Sears, Shopsmith, Delta) over the years, but the handle shape, brass tack at the butt and brass ferrule are distinctly Sorby; check for an etch near the base of the exposed blade to see if 'Sheffield' is present. If 'high speed steel' or HSS is also present, you have a relativley new version; otherwise it's carbon steel---still a fine tool.
The bunch on the left are Buck Bros; likely carbon steel in view of their age. Useable tools if sufficient length remains. About half of the ones present look to be worn to the nub; salvage the handles and honorably retire the stubs.
The back row is a bit cloudier. The one in the far right corner looks like a Crafstman---might be HSS if the blade is black oxided. The rest are not recognizable to me. Those are some short handles---might benefit from a transplant of the salvaged handles from the worn-out Bucks...

Good luck with the project. I have one like it and can vouch it will give you good service.

BobV

John Keeton
07-03-2011, 8:28 AM
Bob, here is the dilema as I see it. In October 2009, at the height of my interest in furniture building, I bought a lathe to turn a set of table legs for a project - which I did. However (and herein lies the danger!), I have never even looked back at building furniture!!!! You are doomed to repeat this scary saga!!!! The vortex is much stronger than the lure of a planer and jointer!!

Looks like you ended up with a nice lathe, and some very usable tools - all in all, a good deal. Congrats!

cal thelen
07-03-2011, 10:18 AM
Bob, John is Right I too was an avid furniture builder, and while I still dabble a little in furniture part I really look forward to turning stuff. My talents are no where the level as most people on this forum, but it is what i look forward to doing the most. Enjoy the lathe and if you have any questions this is the place to get the answers. I know I have a long way to go but these people have helped me inprove my skills with every project i do.

Harvey Ghesser
07-03-2011, 10:26 AM
Say hello to the vortex, Bob...

Bill Bolen
07-03-2011, 10:26 AM
'Ya done good! And by the way a table saw is really intended to store your bowl blanks on. My jointer works well for this too. As far as your $$ goes just plan on a turning budget and no bank account.

Marc Himes
07-03-2011, 10:36 AM
Welcome to the Vortex, Bob. "Is turning tough?": doing it right is tough and I still keep on trying to get it right. Some of the time it works out better than others, but it is the most enjoyable hobby I have ever had. I would guess most on this forum feel the same. Have fun.

Marc

Steve Schlumpf
07-03-2011, 10:47 AM
Bob - Welcome to the vortex! I don't know anything about your new lathe but it sure looks like you got a good deal!

Is turning hard? Well, it was a struggle for me when I got started because I knew of no one around that could show me anything. Best thing I can recommend is to get with your local turning club because they love all things turning and will be most happy to help you learn the basics! Once you figure out how to create the basic shapes, what tools do what, etc - turning becomes so much more than a hobby - it becomes almost an addiction!

ray hampton
07-03-2011, 1:49 PM
you got a good lathe however the belt is old and I would buy a extra belt as soon as possible in case of breakage

Roland Martin
07-04-2011, 8:48 AM
Congrats Bob, welcome to the money-sucking vortex:), it aint' over 'till it's over:D

Russell Johnson
07-04-2011, 3:17 PM
Nice Lathe. I look forward to seeing what you create.

Mark Hazelden
07-04-2011, 3:44 PM
Bob, I think you did well. I have seen people asking a lot more for your lathe.

I have a pdf copy of the owner's manual for your lathe. PM with your email address and I'll send it to you.

Mark

James Combs
07-04-2011, 4:35 PM
Mark Hazelden can send you a manual but just in case it doesn't have a parts break down you find one here http://www.ereplacementparts.com/delta-46541-type-1234-wood-lathe-parts-c-3275_9659_12801.html

Nice heavy looking machine. Looking forward to seeing what you turn with it.

Baxter Smith
07-04-2011, 10:04 PM
Nice deal on a nice lathe Bob. Add a reversing switch and you will have a very nice lathe for not much money!

Rex Guinn
07-05-2011, 9:17 AM
Bob;
I have a Del Stubbs dvd with the same or similar lathe, he shows how to modified it for better performance. The dvd shows how to do the modifications, it is also a great how to dvd. If you can't find it let me know.

Bob Jones
07-06-2011, 1:39 PM
Thanks for all the tips and help. I am really looking forward to making a few round things :)

Dick Wilson
07-06-2011, 5:21 PM
You are doomed!!! You don't think so now but are you in for a rude awakening:D:D:D

Bob Jones
08-15-2011, 11:25 PM
Well, I decided that for my current project I really NEEDED to turn my own knobs/pulls so I had better get my lathe operational and learn to turn. I have it all cleaned up now and pretty functional. There are still a few minor things i need, but I thought I would post pictures of the de-rusted and tuned up lathe. I have lots of questions, but I will start a new thread for that. Thanks!

Ken Fitzgerald
08-15-2011, 11:34 PM
Bob,

The lathe is looking pretty good.

If I may suggest. If you have never turned before, play with it for a while before you attempt your knobs. Making "identicals" such as knobs is IMHO one of the most difficult turning projects you can turn for 2 reason. 1) they have to be identical or awfully close....2) a small mistake on something small like a knob is stands out more than on a larger project.

So...play with it....Learn to use the tools and get familiar with it before you attempt your knobs. Turning is the closest thing to instant gratification in the woodworking realm because you can start and finish a project often in less than an hour but......the project you selected could be a challenge. I wouldn't want to see your beginners excitement dashed too soon.

Have fun with it and good luck!

Bob Jones
08-15-2011, 11:58 PM
Yep, thanks Ken. I bought the book "Elementary Turning" which includes 20 basic exercises to learn turning. I plan to work through that before turning my knobs. I have learned 1 lesson in the last year of building furniture. Practice. Practice. Practice. :)

Steve Kubien
08-16-2011, 4:47 PM
Start cleaning up your flatwork tools for picture taking purposes. Customers will want pictures when you start selling all of them. DAMHIKT