PDA

View Full Version : 1st Multi Axis Turning

Kathy Marshall
07-03-2011, 12:10 AM
Thanks to Jason Clark for his easy to understand instructions!
Jason also did a demo on multi axis turning at one of our club meetings.
I've been wanting to try this for awhile and finally took a stab at it today. It was a good day for turning at a balmy 118 deg :eek: .
Since this was my 1st attempt, I used a scrap piece of poplar that I picked up at woodworkers source from their $1 bin. This was turned using 3 axis, the blank started out about 3 1/2 x 3 1/2 x 8 or so. I turned tenons on either end then turned each axis using a roughing gouge, then parted it, then chucked each piece and hollowed, then turned a jam chuck out of another scrap and finished the top and bottom. The outside was all sanded by hand with the lathe off. Since the poplar was pretty plain, I decided to go with dye and it's got the 1st coat of WOP, it's about 7" x 2 1/2" (didn't measure).

Nothing special, but now that I have the 1st attempt under my belt, I'm ready to try another from a nice piece of something or other.

200168 200167

Thanks for looking!
As always comments and critiques are welcome.

Ed Morgano
07-03-2011, 12:38 AM
Kathy,
Very nice first attempt. I like poplar. It is the wood that I started with when I first started building furniture and didn't know anything about different woods. Anyway, one questions; is it safe to assume that the axis were not inline at both ends of the piece and that is what gave it the twist?

Kathy Marshall
07-03-2011, 12:47 AM
Kathy,
Very nice first attempt. I like poplar. It is the wood that I started with when I first started building furniture and didn't know anything about different woods. Anyway, one questions; is it safe to assume that the axis were not inline at both ends of the piece and that is what gave it the twist?

Thanks Ed and you're correct the axis are not inline. That's about the extent of my technical knowledge other than there's something about 90 deg. Maybe Jason will pop in with a better explanation.

Steve Schlumpf
07-03-2011, 1:15 AM
Well that sure turned out nice! I like the way everything lines up and find it refreshing that it is not round! Pretty cool and I look forward to seeing your next multi-axis! Have fun!

Michael James
07-03-2011, 1:17 PM
Very interesting and subtle. I was expecting one more of those over thetop "look how weird this is" foms. Impressive - carry on!
mj

Scott Hackler
07-03-2011, 1:49 PM
Very nice Kathy. Has that hand sculpted look.

Roger Chandler
07-03-2011, 2:38 PM
Nice one Kathy..........I like it! :)

Matt Hutchinson
07-03-2011, 4:01 PM
Kathy, that is very cool! You did a really great job, and I would have never guessed it was your first of this form. And nice touch with the dye, it looks great!

Your piece reminded of an online video I watched years ago, Three Sided Spiral (http://www.woodworkingchannel.com/dolphin/vidego_video_library.php)

Once the page loads, the tabs at the top of the playback screen can scroll to the right. Click on AAW, and down the list there is a video by Laurent Guillot.

Looking forward to the next one!

Hutch

Jason Clark2
10-23-2011, 6:19 PM
Somehow I missed this thread before. I do things differently than Kathy did but her results look pretty good. I always hollow first and then turn the outside. That way I can get the best grain match possible when the twist is lined up. If anyone wants a copy of my handout send me a PM. It has a simple method for laying out and numbering the centers that makes the turning nearly dummy proof. Jason

Josh Bowman
10-23-2011, 6:33 PM
Way...Cool!

Nate Davey
10-23-2011, 6:51 PM
Thanks for the inspiration Kathy:)

Bill Bolen
10-23-2011, 7:25 PM
Cool piece Kathy. Gotta say I sure admire your spirit. Just not afraid to try anything at least once!!

Bernie Weishapl
10-23-2011, 9:07 PM
Kathy that is a really cool piece. I was wondering if the axis were offset.

Baxter Smith
10-23-2011, 9:23 PM
Nice shape Kathy. I am looking forward to seeing it out of some of your neat wood!

Michelle Rich
10-24-2011, 7:01 AM
fun to try & learn new stuff..looks extremely well done for a first!

BILL DONAHUE
10-24-2011, 10:22 PM
Wow! That's tough looking. I'll have to try it at some point in the future, like right after I get a full face helmet.

Kathy Marshall
10-24-2011, 10:52 PM
Thanks guys!

Somehow I missed this thread before. I do things differently than Kathy did but her results look pretty good. I always hollow first and then turn the outside. That way I can get the best grain match possible when the twist is lined up. If anyone wants a copy of my handout send me a PM. It has a simple method for laying out and numbering the centers that makes the turning nearly dummy proof. Jason
Jason, I figured if I hollowed it first, I'd probably end up making the outside smaller than the inside! :eek:

Wow! That's tough looking. I'll have to try it at some point in the future, like right after I get a full face helmet.
Thanks Bill! Much easier than it looks. The hardest part for me was getting the axis marked correctly and remembering to use the correct ones for each face!

Thanks for the inspiration Kathy:)
You're welcome Nate! I see you've already put it to good use!

Cool piece Kathy. Gotta say I sure admire your spirit. Just not afraid to try anything at least once!!
Thanks Bill! Gotta try new things in order to grow!

Kathy that is a really cool piece. I was wondering if the axis were offset.
Thanks Bernie! Yep they're offset.

Nice shape Kathy. I am looking forward to seeing it out of some of your neat wood!
Thanks Baxter! I did turn another much bigger one from mesquite, but I think I may have messed up on the axis :eek:.

Jason Clark2
10-25-2011, 1:07 AM
I've made the outside smaller than the inside a couple times. I make the inside smaller than what I think is the maximum size. My theory is I can always remove more wood from the outside. I also periodically stop the lathe and check the wall thickness at the tenon, this also helps me keep the sides even.