PDA

View Full Version : Hand Tools from MWTCA 2011 Bowling Green KY

Bob Jones
07-02-2011, 11:47 PM
Not an intentional gloat, but I wanted to give a a review of the MWTCA meeting in Bowling Green from a user perspective. A great time was had by all. The meeting was mostly collectors rather than users. I was about the only shopper there who was not trying to sell, too. That was kinda funny that these guys were mostly buying and selling to each other. I missed the parking lot sale - note to self - that is the best part for user grade tools. Anyway, I got a lot of good tools at GOOD prices (not amazing, but good). The best part was picking out hammers, screwdrivers, and dividers. I probably picked up 50 hammers before I settled on the 2 in the picture. You just can't do that on ebay. I was able to find most of the things on my list.

One sweet find was the miter box. I can not find a name on the box, any guess who made it? For $20, I think I did ok. It came with a Langdon 28" saw (5in deep). It is straight as an arrow. I guess I need to learn to sharpen.

I also got to meet Patrick Leach for the first time. That was neat. Avoid his table unless you want to be lighter by a couple thousand dollars.

Everything on the table cost a total of ~$270. Not bad, I think.

Another fun find was a flat top 603 at the local flea market. It needs a new body. I might just end up parting it out. Not sure yet. That was good for $8. :) I hope to go again someday, but I think I would rather go to WIA next.

Another note - creeker Mat Evans (hope I spelled that right) was there selling large wooden vise screws for a good price. They looked great. If I needed one I would have bought it in a second. I got the wooden clamp from him for my daughter.

Mark Dorman
07-03-2011, 12:02 AM
Looks like a good haul for the money. I'd love to go sometime. Who is the maker on the small backsaw? Handle looks like the the one on my J.D. Darllington.
I'd say twenty on the miter saw is good.
Mark

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
07-03-2011, 12:13 AM
Is that a wart on the side of the 603 a weld? Makes me appreciate how well done the weld that showed up on my MF 22 after cleaning all the years of gunk was. Nice haul, though. I've been meaning to join the MWTCA for a while now. Seems like Area H regional meeting is always "pending notification".

john brenton
07-03-2011, 1:34 PM
I was going to comment on the hammers when I saw the pic. Good hammers are hard to find...you wouldn't think that would be the case. Maybe people figure that they are so common that nobody would want them.