PDA

View Full Version : Partners and Pen Photos - 2011 SMC Pen Exchange

James Combs
07-02-2011, 10:46 PM
Attention all Pen Turners here is the listing showing your partner.

Rather then doing a random drawing and since there is an even number I just cut the last 22 names and pasted them beside the first 22 and presto we have team mates. Having the originals in alphabetical order by first name should randomize the assignments as much as anything else.

(BTW The team numbers do not mean anything they just helped me organize the posting.)

BE SURE to post in this thread photos of the pen that you received plus photos of any accessory items that may have came with it.

If I can get a moderator to un-stick the original thread (possibly putting it in the master) and stick this thread in it's place until sometime after the 1st of September, It would be appreciated. It will simplify finding it by participants.

REMEMBER a COMPLETION DATE of September 1, 2011 has been established. All pens should be turned, finished and shipped by 9/1/2011.

The Partners are:

Team Partner-A - Partner-B

1 Alan Zenreich - Jim Slovik

2 Allen Thunem -Joe Aliperti

3 Andrew Arndts - John Merc

4 Betty Fox - John Pratt

5 Bill Embrey - Karl Card

6 Billy Tallent - Larry Pickering

7 Bobby McCarley - Lee Koepke

8 Brandon Nichols - Mack Cameron

9 Clint Baxter - Mark Hix

10 Curt Stivison - Matt Ranum

11 Dahl Troy - Michael Gallagher

12 Dale Coons - Mike Campbell

13 David Hullum - Mike Rushing

14 David Warkentin - Mike Svoma

15 Don Alexander - Peter Elliott

16 Don Nicholas - Peter Hay in Aus

17 Doug W Swanson - Quinn McCarthy

18 Gene Tereba - Ronald Fox

19 Greg Just - Russell Eaton

20 JD Combs - Scott Woodson

21 Jeff Belany - Shawn Koehn

22 Jim Burr - Thom Sturgill

PM me if you have any questions or concerns.
Have fun and here's wishing everyone a successful 2011 Pen Exchange, enjoy.

Thanks,
JD

David Warkentin
07-02-2011, 10:50 PM
Cool! Been waiting for this.

Bobby McCarley
07-03-2011, 12:25 PM
Can we get one of the moderators to make this a sticky so it will stay at the top, thanks

Bobby McCarley

Greg Just
07-03-2011, 7:31 PM
Can we get one of the moderators to make this a sticky so it will stay at the top, thanks

Bobby McCarley

or we can manually bump it to the top

James Combs
07-03-2011, 10:57 PM
A bump until it is stuck. If we bump this thread against the ceiling enough perhaps it will stick there. lol

Edit: Hey look at that it worked. ;-) (Steve was sticking it just as I posted the bump) lol

Peter Hay in Aus
07-04-2011, 4:44 PM
Morning James,

Grateful for the draw happenstance my mate Don and I are in constant touch via Skype and E Mail, are incredible friends who enjoy each others company immensely. Could not be more content with the draw and your efforts.

Kind Regards Peter.

John Pratt
07-13-2011, 12:45 PM
OK, I'll go first. I received this great pen and goodies from Betty Fox. Sorry about the picture quality, they don't do the pen justice. Electra pen kit with Wenge.

John

James Combs
07-13-2011, 8:57 PM
OK, I'll go first. I received this great pen and goodies from Betty Fox. Sorry about the picture quality, they don't do the pen justice. Electra pen kit with Wenge.

John

OK folks, we now have first blood and even a little heart, way to Wenge it Betty. (I know, I know, terrible terrible puns but hey we got a start).

Oh, and Betty that looks like a really nice pen. Looks like John has made a great score.

If anyone else out there is ready to post let's get em done.

David Warkentin
07-13-2011, 9:44 PM
Sending mine to Mike Svoma tomorrow. I'll let him take pics.:)

Mike Svoma
07-14-2011, 9:34 AM
Mine should be on the way to David by the weekend.

Mike Svoma
07-19-2011, 1:14 PM
This is the pen received, for the pen exchange, from David Warkentin last night. Nice Cigar wrapped in a burl cap/acrylic blank. He also sent some additional goodies as packing material. Thanks David.

David Warkentin
07-19-2011, 1:20 PM
Glad it made it there, Mike. Aspen burl with acrylic. And for you folks that are on IAP this may come as a surprise. That blank was given to me by none other than RON ADAMS!!

Mike Svoma
07-19-2011, 1:37 PM
This pen exchange shows how small the world is that we live in......David sent me a cherry burl blank from Barron, WI. This town is only 30 miles north of where I live and David is alll the way down in Alabama. Cool.

John Merc
07-20-2011, 8:44 PM
Thanks Andrew Arndts. Received a great looking Bocote Cigar this weekend. Sorry for the bad pictures...they do not do the pen justice!!!

Jim Burr
07-20-2011, 9:04 PM
Some Beautiful stuff!!! I'm thinking of hiding after mine it's mailed! Some great pen "Art" guys!!

David Warkentin
07-23-2011, 6:27 PM
202802 This is the pen I received from Mike Svoma. Burls and swirls on a Sierra Elegant Beauty. Plus some free blanks and a bullet pen! Thanks Mike!!!

Greg Just
07-23-2011, 10:59 PM
I was lucky enough to get paired with Russell Eaton. I didn't realize Russell made pens and sold them on his website. Boy did I get the better end of this deal. I got home today from a week long camping trip with the Boy Scouts and a big box was at the front door. Just look at what he sent me. Not only did he include a pen, it was sent in a beautiful box, a bunch of blanks plus 2 laser cut kits. Boy do I have some work to do. The last picture is the pen I sent to him. Thanks Russell.

Russell Eaton
07-24-2011, 10:18 AM
Greg thanks for the nice pen. My wife saw it and now it is in her purse. Oh well easy come.... Glad you like your pen and other goodies.

Scott Woodson
07-30-2011, 3:25 PM
This was a fantastic idea, had some set-backs with this design but was finally able to pull it together.203502203503

Gary Herrmann
07-31-2011, 7:23 PM
Wow. Very generous Russell. Beautiful pen too.

I completely forgot about the exchange this year. Nuts. I guess next year I can try to be 3 of 4.

James Combs
08-01-2011, 1:17 PM
This was a fantastic idea, had some set-backs with this design but was finally able to pull it together.

Thanks again Scott. like I said in the PM, "Can't wait to get that in my grubby hands" lol Yours will be on it's way sometime this week.

James Combs
08-01-2011, 1:21 PM
Wow. Very generous Russell. Beautiful pen too.

I completely forgot about the exchange this year. Nuts. I guess next year I can try to be 3 of 4.

Sorry you missed out this year Gary. If I remember it next year I will send you a PM as a reminder. :-)

Peter Hay in Aus
08-05-2011, 5:15 AM
My swap to Don arrived in the States yesterday with my daughter visited with us here for a month she was due to post out today. Different swap to most I am sure to my great mate Don. Entitled Keys to friendship.

Kind regards James from Peter.

James Combs
08-05-2011, 3:05 PM
I received these two pens over the past couple of days.

The first one is from my pen exchange partner Scott Woodson. Scott has already posted a couple of photos of my pen but it is so fantastic I just had to post a few more. Scott, I love the pen and as far as I am concerned you got snookered in the deal.:D I love it.

204183204184 204186

Kevin little was day or so late getting into the exchange so I offered to exchanged pens with him and yep I did it again, another snookeree. Another awesome, fantastic, and beautiful pen. Just hope it keeps good time.:rolleyes:

Thanks Guys, I really do appreciate your sacrifices.:cool:

It has been over a month now since the opt-in closed so if you haven't finished your partners pen its a good time to get started. September the first is just around the corner.

Jim Burr
08-05-2011, 3:52 PM
Sweet work guys!!!! The steampunk is a huge favorite of mine and I started casting a few. These guys are artistic masters!!!...I'm not

Curt Stivison
08-10-2011, 6:48 PM
Recieved my pen from Matt today. It is a beauty. I will get a picture posted soon.

Curt

Curt Stivison
08-11-2011, 12:16 PM
Got my pen from Matt Ranum yesterday. It was a cherry burl pen along with some other goodies.

Curt

Matt Ranum
08-11-2011, 5:19 PM
Glad you liked it Curt!

Quinn McCarthy
08-12-2011, 9:52 AM
I was lucky enough to get a cigar pen from mt exchange person Doug Swanson. It was crafted from curly leaf mountain mahogany. WHat a wonderful looking pen. It had an exceptional finish as well and pen blanks to fill up the box. Won't have to buy blanks for a while. Thanks Doug.

Don Nicholas
08-12-2011, 12:12 PM
204872I received this beautiful set from my friend in Austraila, Peter Hay.
I was thrilled to learn that Peter and I were swap partners. Peter and I communicate frequently via Skype and I respect and treasure our friendship, my wife said we are like two little kids with our "show and tell".

The Pens are Ebony and Alt Ivory mounted to Piano keys from a 100 year old Piano, The Background timber is Tasmainian Black Hearted Sassafrass, A beautiful piece of timber.
Thank you my friend, I will treasure the display and put it in a prominate place in our home for all to see and enjoy.
Cheers Peter
Don

Joe Aliperti
08-14-2011, 9:31 AM
Allen Thunem asked me to take some pics of the pen I sent him... so I took a couple before I sent it out last week.

It's a kitless rollerball made from blue Italian acrylic (my first attempt at a kitless rollerball). The threads were all cut with a tap and die on the wood lathe and the cap threads are triple-start for easy capping/uncapping.

http://www.silverlakewoodworks.com/images/pens/colonial_blue_rb1.JPG

http://www.silverlakewoodworks.com/images/pens/colonial_blue_rb2.JPG

Hope you're enjoying it, Allen! It was a fun pen to make.

- Joe

Scott Woodson
08-14-2011, 1:08 PM
Here is the beautiful Cocobola pen and "extra packing" that I recieved from my pen exchange partner JD. Thanx JD for the pen and packing materials.

Matt Ranum
08-14-2011, 10:18 PM
This is what I got from Curt Stivison the other day. Curt went way beyond the call here sending not only a gorgeous ultra cigar made from a log of their new home but also a Diplomat and a slimline made from a Redwood burl, plus a pile truly awesome blanks!

You da man Curt! Thanks again! :D

Dale Coons
08-15-2011, 5:10 PM
All dressed up and lost my date for the pen prom! Anyone know if Mike Campbell is OK? I've tried getting ahold of my pard now several times/different ways, so far no success--I see there are several possibilities for Mike--Michael, in KS, plain Mike, etc.

Mike if you're there send me a pm!

Thanks

Betty Fox
08-15-2011, 6:41 PM
Well today the mail lady brought me a box of goodies from John Pratt in Oklahoma. Thank you so much John!!!!
205266 205267205268205269
The pen is made from a special burr oak tree in Oklahoma called the Witness Tree. I don't know much about the tree yet but I'll read all about it in the book that John also sent entitled "Silent Witness." So far I know the tree was an ancient tree on Fort Sill in Oklahoma.
John writes in the letter that he cut up the downed tree and milled the parts into bowl blanks and pen blanks for the historical society. I'm glad he saved a pen blank to make into a pen for me. It's gorgeous.
Also included in the trunk (big package!!) were a lot of other pen blanks.There are 2 burr oaks from the same Witness Tree ( so I can turn my own pen from it), a Thuya Burl, 2 acrylics, a Spalted walnut blank, cocobolo blank, spalted maple blank, and bubinga blank. OH, and the wonderful engraved box that the pen came in.
I LIKE pen exchange!!!

Jim Burr
08-15-2011, 7:23 PM
Beautiful work by all of you!! Joe...someday I have to learn the kitless thing...long way to go...

Peter Hay in Aus
08-23-2011, 8:54 PM
My gifts from the Swap with Don.205936205937205938205939Overwhelming thanks Don Greatly appreciated.

Jeff Belany
08-26-2011, 11:58 AM
The other day I received a large package from my Pen Exchange partner Shawn Koehn. Opened it up and it was filled with some gorgeous wood, Pecan, Hackberry, Walnut, Sycamore, Oak, Osage Orange and a few others. And that was just the icing on the cake when I found a box with a beautiful pen. Not only a pen but a special, closed end pen wrapped in a beautiful ElMostro blank. What a deal!! The photos show his pen and just a portion of the wood he sent. As usual, I have to apologize for the photos, not the best. I have my new photo tent all ready to assemble, just can't seem to get it done.

I'm running late getting my pen sent but I will get it out before the deadline. I just moved my laser business to a new location in July and my penturning has taken a back seat.

Thanks again, Shawn.

Jeff Belany
Ashland, Wisconsin

Thom Sturgill
08-26-2011, 3:06 PM
Here's the pen I got from Jim, and some cast blanks he sent along with it.
sorry about the picture quality, but I had to use my cell phone.

Billy Tallant
08-28-2011, 12:23 AM
This is the pen I got from Larry Pickering today. It is an amazing beauty. My pictures don't do it justice... The best part of the deal was that we actually got to meet at the S.W.A.T. meet in Waco, Tx. today & swap pens face to face. While visiting with Larry, I also had the pleasure of meeting David Keller. The last 2 pictures is the pen that I made for Larry.

Peter Elliott
08-29-2011, 4:36 PM
Just got a PM that Don A. got my pen swap today.. his pen is on the way to me this week (so you can mark us down as complete)

I wanted to include some Creeker wood:
Green end blanks - Ken Hill stash, when we did the SMC-Meet last fall at his place
Screwdriver- is from spalted maple we got from Mike Cruz house... look carefully, I named it "evil eye"
Not shown is a few blanks from Jack Daniels whiskey barrel with COA papers..

Had fun, looking forward to next year!
-Peter

Chris Burgess
08-30-2011, 2:54 PM
Well I was not actually part of the pen exchange but Mr Ronald Fox's came available so I jumped at the chance to participate. Ronald agreed even though I have never made a pen........kidding, and this is what I got in yesterday. Needless to say I had nothing in my arsenal to compete so off to WC I went and picked up a nice kit to send his way. My goal is to have it out by the end of the week. Thanks RON!!!!

The pen is an Electra w/ Gold and Chrome dressed in a Yew, Maple, Purpleheart & Zebrawood atire. Spectacular.

My shoty camer skills do not do it justice.

Dahl Troy Perry
08-30-2011, 7:52 PM
Well here it is almost Sept 1st my first time throwing my name into the pen swap hat. Looking forward to turning a pen that I could be proud of giving to the person that is I’m sure is a much better turner. I searched and searched for the perfect pen kit and wood blank. The Majestic from PSI. and a Turquoise died box elder blank. I bought a new arbor the one that the tailstock center clamps the bushing (my old one ran out of round).And thought what can I but in to fill the usps flat rate box . This is what I stuffed in the pen, a box to hold the pen 7 wood blanks Cumaru,Cocobolo,Myrtlewood,Purpleheart,Curly maple,Black Walnut,and Ebony. The box was not full so I put in a eccentric chuck that I made to turn necklace and ear rings I have made several for friend turners and some 13 2x2 x1/2 corian blanks. The box was full I wanted my pen swap partner to not look at my turning job but what he got with it. I wrote him 3 times sent him my e-mail address had James Combs write him no response I waited no one has heard from him (hope he’s all right) . But now I know how
it feels to be left at the pen alter by myself

James Combs
08-30-2011, 8:34 PM
Dang, looks like Mike might forfeit some really nice "alter" gifts.

BTW does anyone here on SMC know Michael Gallagher personally? We have been trying to contact him for quite some time and would appreciate know if he is OK. His last post was on 6/29/11 opting into the pen exchange.

Also looks like Dale Coons may be in a similar boat. Seems his partner Mike Campbell has missed the pen prom so far.

James Combs
08-31-2011, 10:25 AM
All dressed up and lost my date for the pen prom! Anyone know if Mike Campbell is OK? I've tried getting ahold of my pard now several times/different ways, so far no success--I see there are several possibilities for Mike--Michael, in KS, plain Mike, etc.

Mike if you're there send me a pm!

Thanks

Dale, you might want to fallow Dahl's lead if you have already made a pen for Mike, go ahead and post pics of the pen that he has potentially missed. I am sure we all would like to see it.

James Combs
08-31-2011, 10:35 AM
Here is the status as I see it on this last day of August 2011. If you see that I have missed you or your posting in this thread let me know so I can correct the list.206451

Dale Coons
08-31-2011, 11:06 AM
Mike did get ahold of me finally a few weeks ago. I sent (without taking a picture, oops!) a spalted crabapple el grande and a few blanks for fun. Sounded like he might be having some computer problems or something but haven't heard more since then. Either way, I had fun turning.

Alan Zenreich
08-31-2011, 12:57 PM
Jim Slovik and I have finally been able to exchange private messages and addresses.

I've had my pen ready for a while, and intended to post a photo, but the post-Irene situation has been beating us up with power outages.

I'll get a photo posted her ASAP.

Joe Aliperti
08-31-2011, 11:29 PM
Allen Thunem sent me this beautiful osage orange cigar ballpoint with a nice gift case:

http://www.silverlakewoodworks.com/images/iap/allen_thunem_cigar.JPG

Thanks, Allen!

Jim Burr
09-01-2011, 11:23 AM
Got a box from Thom the other day with cool pens! He will have to jump in with the style and manufacturer, but a nice surprise was the Certificate of Authenticity. These are both BOW which is hard to get and a bit pricey due to the limitations on harvesting. These are really beautiful!! Thanks Thom!!:D

Bill Embrey
09-01-2011, 1:25 PM
Good Grief Dahl... for that pile of goodies, I'll send you two pens :) ... and some goodies ;) . I haven't had a lot of luck getting any corian to play with.

Doug W Swanson
09-02-2011, 11:21 AM
Here is what arrived this morning from Quinn McCarthy. It's a very nice looking twist pen! I'm not sure of the wood (maybe Quinn can chime in) but it's a burl and looks great! He also included some blanks with some spectacular grain to them.

Thanks, Quinn!

PS: Sorry for the crappy cell phone photo!

Dale Coons
09-02-2011, 3:58 PM
I was all excited to get home as I heard there was a package for me. Thanks to Mike Campbell for this really sharp Zen Rollerball all done up in buckeye burl. It was a nice end to my first pen swap. Some nice blanks to play with also came along for the ride. Sorry about the pic, no photographic skills here.

Bill Embrey
09-02-2011, 8:14 PM
Below is the Polaris style pen (Karls gonna have to tell us the wood), and hidden compartment keychain I received from Karl for the pen swap. This was my first pen swap (I've done several Native American flute swaps on another group)... If they are all like this, I definitely want to participate in all of them. The pen and keychain are great, but they came in a HUGE box of wood that will keep me busy turning pens for quite some time... even a few bottle stopper sized chunks in there. Thank you Karl... wonderful package of goodies and will be enjoyed a bunch :)

PS... Karl will have to post the pic of the pen I sent him... I had a brain cramp and forgot to get a picture of it before I sent it!

Bill & Laura

Dahl Troy Perry
09-02-2011, 8:42 PM
Holy cow I want Karl next year as my partner that looks like the mother load:)

Karl Card
09-02-2011, 11:51 PM

The above picstures are what I received from Bill Embry for the pen exchange. Well not just the pictures but what is in the pictures too...lol Bill turned this pen out of a tru-stone blank and I have to say that it is one of the prettiest unique pens I have seen in awhile. Bill put the icing on the cake with the matching pen holder tied with a gold ribbon and the blanks are top shelf. I do not have much domestic wood and some of this I had never seen or heard of before. Needless to say they were very much appreciated.

Shawn Koehn
09-03-2011, 2:32 PM

Here id the pen in I received from Jeff Belany, it is a Virage from Berea wrapped in rosewood burl very nice pen. I also got some very nice blanks, some katalox, waterlogged oak from Timeless Timber, curly maple, redwood, and some others. It was a great trade I love it.

Betty Fox
09-03-2011, 3:35 PM
This is the pen Ron received from Chris Burgess. It's a Rinehart kit done up in amboyna burl. It kinda looks like bolts for the centerband. Beautiful pen and he also sent some pen blanks with it: Lace Redwood Burl, Cocobolo, Water oak burl, spalted maple, and a nice ziricote with the lines in just the right places.
Thanks Chris for your last minute partnership.

Clint Baxter
09-04-2011, 7:29 AM
206785I received my pen from Mark quite a while ago but have been more occupied with flood cleanup. I finally got his pen off to him and would like to post this pic of the super job he did. He included a note indicating that the blank was a high pressure wood/resin casting but I was unable to make out what it was called. Maybe he'll chime in with the name. I'm not versed enough in which type of pen it is to say with certainty. Beautiful pen and a few nice blanks for when I can get the lathe going again. Thanks again Mark.

Brandon Nichols
09-04-2011, 1:35 PM
This is the pen that Mack Cameron sent me. It is a clicker kit with Bolivian Rosewood. Also a lot of blanks including that nice burl cap cast in acrylic. Will be lots of fun I am sure. Got it a few days ago but had a little trouble with the picture and posting it here. Thanks a lot Mack. I will try to not mess up too many of them nice blanks:rolleyes:

Bobby McCarley
09-06-2011, 5:17 PM
206986Finally getting around to posting a picture of the pen I recieved from Lee Koepke. Its a great looking pen
and the finish on it is outstanding. The wood is cherry Burl and he used the Stick Fast Finishing system
for pens. He was also kind enough to include a couple of blanks to go with it. A piece of the cherry burl
and a piecethat he thinks is IPE.

Thom Sturgill
09-06-2011, 7:33 PM
Got a box from Thom the other day with cool pens! He will have to jump in with the style and manufacturer, but a nice surprise was the Certificate of Authenticity. These are both BOW which is hard to get and a bit pricey due to the limitations on harvesting. These are really beautiful!! Thanks Thom!!:D
Glad you like the pens!
I believe the BOW (Bethleham Olive) is an Americana Roller Ball from CSUSA. The other pen is one I did some time back and I am not sure what the model is. The wood is from a cutoff of Long leaf maple burl that I used to make a HF. It had some nice inclusions so i picked the long barrel style to show it off.

Alan Zenreich
09-10-2011, 11:27 AM
Jim Slovik and I were partnered, but he didn't get a chance to photograph his pen before sending it to me.
So I waited until his arrived and photographed ours together.

Jim made the 'Cigar' style ballpoint, the wood is curly mango.
I made the "Jr. Gent" style rollerball, using black and white acrylic.

I look forward to future swaps and challenges... sharing is fun!

207285 207283 207284

Mack Cameron
09-11-2011, 9:22 AM
My thanks to Brandon Nichols for this swap pen and some pen blanks for more pens!
I'm not certain of the wood turned for the pen, but the style of pen is known as a Baron Rollerball in Canada. It may go by another name in the US.

If I recall correctly, Brandon mentioned this would be his first pen swap. He has done his first swap proud! Thanks so much again, Brandon.

Brandon Nichols
09-12-2011, 9:25 PM
Sorry i forgot to tell you what kind of wood that is. It is maple burl. And not that it matters but that pen kit is called a gentelman jr 1.

Jim Burr
09-12-2011, 10:03 PM
Sweet work guys!! Big hi 5!!

Primvs Aebvtivs
09-17-2011, 4:49 PM
To Bill Embrey ^^^
Darn! That's a LOT of blanks there! Looks like you'll be busy with that lot. Well done on the swap, looks like you landed a partner and a half!

John Terefenko
03-14-2012, 3:00 PM
I see this exchange should be well over by now and I was wondering is there another thread where all the pens are displayed. I only see 2 here. Sure would be nice to see what everyone has gotten. I love to see pens photos. What does everyone have to say??? Can you please point me in the right direction. Thanks