PDA

View Full Version : G0634XP Gloat and a question

Stephen Saar
07-02-2011, 9:54 PM
My Grizzly G0634XP came in!!!. I ordered it about 1.5 months ago, and I was not happy about the delays, but I finally have it.:D:D:D

Haven't had much chance to actually use it yet, spent most of today getting the thing lifted up and set on the ground. I used a little HF 1000# lift cart to get it in to my garage. I was able to do it mostly by myself, but I ended up having to build a little gantry/A-Frame crane to hoist it up and that actually worked pretty well. Then I spent another couple hours cleaning it, and then cleaning it some more, and finally setting it up.

I'll post a more thorough review on it in the future when I have a chance to actually really use it for a project.

I did a question though. The unit came in, and from the shipping container it didn't look like it had any damage. But once I got everything cleaned up, I noticed some small discoloration on the planer bed, but it doesn't look like rust. Also a reasonable sized gouge on the outfeed table. Pics attached. Does this seem like something I should bring up to grizzly. This is the first jointer or planer I've ever owned, so I'm not sure how much difference this will really make. I wouldn't think either would cause a real issue, but I want to handle it now, rather than 3 months down the road, and have grizzly say that I caused the damage.

-Stephen

jonathan eagle
07-02-2011, 10:05 PM
Stephen,
Congrats. I just got mine two days ago. Do you think it will affect functionality? I don't see how. Looks pretty trivial to me.
Considering what a crappy crate it was in, I'm shocked how perfect mine looks. I haven't wired mine up yet. Did you fire yours up?
I had to get mine down some basement stairs. Why did you need such a system to basically move it around on the same level? I don't understand.
Jonathan

Stephen Saar
07-02-2011, 10:09 PM
I did get it wired up, and man it sounds nice. It has that deep hum of a nicer motor, and it's just rock solid. Did some quick jointing on some scrap 2x4 pine I had laying around just to make sure everything worked and it cut very nicely. The thing is absolutely massive though. I hadn't realized just how big the unit was going to be. Still have some fine tweaking to do, but it will be nice to actually start some real projects with lumber once I get everything up and running.

jonathan eagle
07-03-2011, 7:23 PM
I started mine up. But need to go thru the calibration process. Have you done this yet?
Any issues?
Jonathan

Jim O'Dell
07-03-2011, 9:00 PM
If the gouge you are talking about is in the last picture, yea, I'd bring that to their attention to correct. Do you have some pictures of the shipping box to show there was no damage to that area that would have made you look deeper? I'd send all of them to Grizzly.
Congrats on your new tool! Enjoy it! Jim.

Jerry Balzell
07-03-2011, 9:46 PM
It isn't unreasonable to expect a $2200.00 machine to be delivered in perfect condition.

Bruce Page
07-03-2011, 10:30 PM
Guys, let's not let this turn this into a rant thread for or against the manufacture.

Your friendly Moderator staff :)

ed vitanovec
07-03-2011, 11:39 PM
Congradulations! That is a nice looking machine, I was considering this machine but I got a great deal on a Rojek. Looking forward to hearing how the performance is once you get some time using it. If possible can you post a picture from the planer end. As far as the gouge goes it you can live with it, just let Grizzly customer service know about this so they can let the quality control know.

Regards!
Ed

Curt Harms
07-04-2011, 8:12 AM
I look forward to a report once you get some use out of it. I have and would recommend a digital depth gauge for the planer table. One of the downsides of Combo machines is the inability to leave a planer set to a preset depth.

-Need 4 pieces the same thickness and plane 4 pieces at the same time. Switch over to jointer mode for whatever reason.

-Cut one of the 4 1" short. Utter some words not suitable for polite company.

-Now you need to plane another piece the exact same thickness as the other 3. With a DRO (digital read out) it's pretty easy, without a DRO it's sneak up on it without going over. Grizzly sells an iGaging unit that seems to work well. You have to be a little creative mounting it. Matt Meiser did a nice job-one post is here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?157200-Jet-JJP-12HH-iGaging-Readout-Install. Wixey sells a remote readout unit which is easier to calibrate for more $.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-Digital-Scale-with-Remote-Readout-Inch-Metric-Fraction/T23012

http://wixey.com/remote-planer/index.html

John Gornall
07-04-2011, 12:36 PM
The cutting head on the GO634XP finally revealed.
Wide spaced carbide cutters - 4 rows of 8 = 32 - 15mm cutters = 18 7/8" of cutting edge
Other Grizzly 12" jointers have 4 rows of 15 = 60 - 14 mm cutters = 33" of cutting edge
Standard blade 12" machines have 3 - 12 inch blades = 36" of cutting edge
or 4 - 12 inch blades = 48" of cutting edge
I'm interested in how the GO634XP performs with this blade configuration:
Is the cutting speed slow?
Cut quality?

jonathan eagle
07-04-2011, 1:14 PM
Guys,
I can't see why one can't leave the planer at the exact same thickness. It cuts from the bottom side of the cutter. The thickness is adjusted by adjusting a table below the cutter.
The jointer is used from the top. No adjustments from the jointer effect the planer, at least how it looks to me.
I have the g0634xp, so I can't speak for other combos. I like to fully re-adjust all the adjustments.
It helps me understand the machine.
This is an upgrade from my previous 6" grizzly jointer. I'm curious how it runs with the kind of wood I like to use. Curly/birdsye maple, bubinga, etc..
I mainly got it for the 12" capacity.
Jonathan

Rod Sheridan
07-04-2011, 2:34 PM
Guys,
I can't see why one can't leave the planer at the exact same thickness. It cuts from the bottom side of the cutter. The thickness is adjusted by adjusting a table below the cutter.
The jointer is used from the top. No adjustments from the jointer effect the planer, at least how it looks to me.
Jonathan

Hi Jonathan, the planer table has to be lowered to greater than 4 inches to swing the dust hood over to convert from planer to jointer.

This is typical of these machines, on my Hammer it's 7 inches..........Regards, Rod.

P.S. That's why I purchased the digital height readout option for mine, it makes returning to a setting simple.

jonathan eagle
07-04-2011, 5:17 PM
Rod,
You are correct. I didn't realize that the dust shield collector interfered with the table.
For the mentioned problem, I usually run the new piece thru and just measure it with my micrometer, and creep up on it. I guess if I were a pro, I'd worry about the extra minute or so. I can see the beauty of it, though. I know you are a big Felder fan. Have any good contacts there?
Jonathan