PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic - polishing?? Need help from the pen turners!

John Keeton
07-02-2011, 1:33 PM
I am working on the concept for a piece on which I will be using an acrylic finial. Been practicing on the cuts, etc., and I think I have a handle on that part. But, what is the best down and dirty way to polish acrylic. Keep in mind that I don't need the durability of CA, and, I won't need a glass finish on it. But, I do need a smooth finish with a moderate gloss. The qualifier is that it will be delicate, so I will not be able to put much pressure on it.

I have sandpaper to 2,000, but I suspect there are other secrets you penturners know that would make this task much more simple!

Thoughts?

Nate Davey
07-02-2011, 1:39 PM
This may or may not be of value.

http://www.youtube.com/user/CraftSuppliesUSA#p/c/3D50C76302FF05F8/3/EsUEGE_P0pM

Jim Burr
07-02-2011, 1:53 PM
If you have a Auto paint store near by, get the highest grit wet/dry you can find 1200 at least 10k is great. The 2k will get you in the ballpark and you may want to stop there. CSUSA and other vendors sell Micromesh w/d pads as well. You have a couple of options that are quick and easy once you achieve the desired level of polish; Ren wax is great and if you have a woodworking store near, also check out Hutts Ultra gloss...I use both and great results. Since the finial won't be handled much...I'd go with the wax. High speed and a microfiber towel works well with a light touch to miniize heat build up.

David Warkentin
07-02-2011, 1:58 PM
Definitely Micromesh and then depending on shine you may want some liquid polish. I use the stuff from Wal-Mart for removing scratches from headlights.

Donny Lawson
07-02-2011, 2:05 PM
John, if you have any Micro mesh pads use them,they work the best. No CA needed. Get the shape you want and while on the lathe,wet sand it from 1500 to 12000 grit, making sure you keep the sanding discs wet. The sanding does not take but 2-3 minutes. Keep the acrylic and sanding disc wet. Thats the key. If it stays wet it will not get hot and turn out great.

David E Keller
07-02-2011, 3:37 PM
+1 for wet sanding with micromesh with plastic polish at the end if you need the extra shine

John Keeton
07-02-2011, 3:40 PM
Thanks, guys! I have sanded to 2,000, and quite honestly, it is not too far from what I want. I think I will wet sand it (been sanding dry at low speed) and Gary Max suggested some auto polish. That may take me as far as I want for this one. If not, I will check out the Micro-mesh. If I get too much gloss, it may look out of place with this turning.

I am actually pleased with the way the stuff turned - much easier than I anticipated. Thanks, again!

Bill Bolen
07-02-2011, 4:12 PM
If you end up needing a bit more gloss or have some very fine sand marks showing go to WC and get a tube of pen polish. Top off your sanding with this stuff and it will look great. I believe it is nothing more than a very fine rubbing compound with a bit of wax thrown in too. I've used it on pens and bottle stoppers made with acrylic, Corian and a solid surface counter top material called Quartz....Bill...

Michael James
07-02-2011, 4:28 PM
If you have any EEE paste that should do it if or some product with abrasive like "blue coral" or whatever the equivalent in an auto paint restore product would be in todays line up. Looking forward to seeing whachu making!
mj

Jim Burr
07-02-2011, 4:46 PM
John, take a look at the pen I just posted...only sanded/polished to 8k...pens I usually polish to 12k. You'll get an idea of gloss with that grit.
After thought...Plastic polishes have grit that work the surface rather than set on the surface...that may help you choose your application.