PDA

View Full Version : new smoother, version two

Mark Baldwin III
07-02-2011, 9:37 AM
Due to my rather bad reaction to the woods used in my first attempt, I elected to build a new plane rather than fix the one I had already made. In fact, my skin is still recovering. I never intend to work with Brazilian rosewood or zebrawood again. The new plane is the same dimensions, 5 5/8" with the same 1 1/2 iron. Two pieces of advice offered here were incorporated into it: taller wedge, larger escapement. The performance is much better. It is made from ash and maple.

David Keller NC
07-02-2011, 10:57 AM
Mark - Very nice. If you have some true Brazilian rosewood in any larger size, you will have absolutely no trouble selling it - it's quite sought after after its importation was banned.

One comment about the new plane - it appears that your wedge has end-grain on the face. If that's really correct (and not just an illusion from the photograph), you likely to have some real issues over time. Typically, the face of the wedge is edge-grain wood (i.e., it's made from quarter-sawn stock). However, wedges with faces of face grain (made from flat-sawn stock) will still work just fine, they're just a bit less stable with humidity changes. However, a wedge made with end-grain on the face is going to have problems - the largest of which is the tendency to split into pieces when it undergoes stress.

David Turner
07-02-2011, 5:05 PM
Mark: On version #3, I think you should take into account the grain on the block of wood. All of my wooden planes were built with the grain running the exact opposite of yours. ie. with the grain instead of into the grain.

Mark Baldwin III
07-02-2011, 6:05 PM
David K, thanks for the word on wedges. I hadn't thought about that. But now I know!

David T, I noticed that right after glue up. Kind of an "oh $*#&" moment. The center blocks are properly orientated, I must've had a brain fart when I set up the outsides. There will be a version three, done at 45 degrees. I'll pay more attention to what I'm doing!

george wilson
07-02-2011, 7:09 PM
Get all the layers of the wood in the body going the same way,and in the right direction,or you won't be able to plane the plane's sole flat without something tearing out,as well as getting the wedge grain correct.