PDA

View Full Version : PSI Master Turn handle system

Chris Colman
07-01-2011, 9:34 PM
I know being a woodturner and being on a budget is a functional oxymoron, but there I am.

I have some Penn State Benjamin's Best Chinese made low-budget tools, and I am happy with them. I can only dream of using Thompson or Glaser tools.

Has anyone here in the creek tried PSI's Master-Turn Handle System? It is an 18" handle with 3/8, 1/2, and 5/8 double ended gouge inserts.
Link: http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LCMASET.html

It is selling on Amazon for $117.

I kink of like the idea of having 3 gouge diameters with 2 ends and 2 grinds each in the same set.

Anybody tried this one?

Jeff Fagen
07-01-2011, 10:00 PM
I too have a set of BB tools that I have been satisfied with.
The Penn States combo looks like a good deal.
I didn't know you could get a better price on PSI stuff at Amazon.

Jeff Nicol
07-01-2011, 10:11 PM
Chris, You can get 2 of Doug Thompson or other tools for the price of the PSI set, you can make your own handles and then you would not have to wait for the good stuff! The PSI set looks nice but I don't know what the steel is for sure, just HSS or M2 or what. But you would be able to buy other tool shafts later and us them in the handle since it is set up for all the sizes. It won't be your first purchase and when you think you are done, there is always more to buy!

Flip a coin and buy both,

Jeff

Steve Schlumpf
07-02-2011, 12:27 AM
First I've seen of them. If you pick the set up - be sure to let us know what you of them! Cool idea.

Michelle Rich
07-02-2011, 7:02 AM
I have no clue as to quality of the set, but I would not buy them as changing the handles out & having to find an allen wrench (?? I assume it will have set screws) in sawdust, would annoy me. Reaching for a ready tool is about what I can do while I am concentrating. But that's just me. Maybe you have much more patience!

John Keeton
07-02-2011, 8:26 AM
PSI tools are M2 HSS to my knowledge, and for that grade of steel, they seem to be good quality. There is a huge difference between M2 and the new steels used by Thompson, Glaser and even the M42 Cobalt used by D-Way. But, for what they are, they are good value.

Incidentally, if you tell PSI about the Amazon price, they will match it. I asked them once about that odd relationship, and they indicated Amazon set its own pricing on BB tools.

Gary Max
07-02-2011, 8:50 AM
I have thought about trying to buy just the 5/8---------they look like a One-way copy to me.

Keith Outten
07-02-2011, 8:55 AM
Chris,

There are four brand new Glaser Hitec turning tools in our FreeStuff Forum that will be given away on the 4th of July. It's not to late to register to win a very nice prize or prizes.

Chris Colman
07-02-2011, 8:59 AM
PSI tools are M2 HSS to my knowledge, and for that grade of steel, they seem to be good quality. There is a huge difference between M2 and the new steels used by Thompson, Glaser and even the M42 Cobalt used by D-Way. But, for what they are, they are good value.

I have many carbon steel tools and some BB HSS tools. I notice the HSS tools hold an edge longer, but I feel I can get put a little better "Razor" fine edge on high carbon steel. It does not last long, though.

What makes the Thompson and Glaser tools so much better? Do they really hold an edge that much longer?

I am doing more work with green wood and am looking to buy a good 5/8 or 3/4 bowl gouge. Any suggestions for a guy on a budget?

John Keeton
07-02-2011, 9:10 AM
Chris, there is a significant difference in the metallurgy used in "standard" M2 HSS used by nearly every company that sells mass market turning tools vs. that used by the specialty manufacturers. I do not have enough knowledge to explain the alloy characteristics to you, but I would refer you to their respective websites for more information. But, yes, the better tools will hold an edge much longer. Your observation on carbon steel is correct - it will take a keener edge than nearly any of the other metals used in turning tools, and on flatwork, you will not notice the rapid dulling as much. But, when you introduce a carbon edge to wood on a lathe spinning at 1,000 rpm or more, that edge will dull very quickly. It is akin to planning a shop full of lumber with a handplane blade - just a lot of cutting!

Having started with the M2 HSS, I would never buy another gouge of M2. They have their purpose - helping one get started, learning to sharpen, etc. But, once you quit grinding away metal by poor sharpening technique, you will find the better tools to be the best value.