PDA

View Full Version : Help It is too Hot

Craig Matheny
07-01-2011, 7:36 PM
With every one on this board having lasers all over this planet I am sure some one has a great idea.

I have an epilog 45 watt mini, max suggested working temp by manufacture is 90 deg. I am under a steel 9' height roof open area ambient air temp under this is 105 steel is 135+.

The problem.. I have to stop work due to the heat being the laser is air cooled, I need to find away to cool this unit being running ac in an open area not to useful.

Thank you

Dee Gallo
07-01-2011, 7:40 PM
Just a shot in the dark, Craig - can you insulate the roof so it does not transmit the heat but block it? Old fashioned air conditioning: a fan blowing over a block of ice.

Good luck! dee

Bill Marcheck
07-01-2011, 7:53 PM
I had a similar temperatures in my garage which had an exposed metal roof. I put some reflectix radiant barrier on the the inside of the tin roof. Made a pretty large difference in temperature.

Bill

Craig Matheny
07-01-2011, 7:56 PM
We are in the process of insulating the roof how ever if it is 95 degrees outside it will be 95 at the laser and limited on room.
Thanks

Doug Griffith
07-01-2011, 8:18 PM
You could get creative and mount peltier plates with large heatsinks and fans directly to the laser module. They'll drop the temperature up to 40 degrees below ambient. A little crazy of an idea but, if done correctly, might just do the job.

Craig Matheny
07-01-2011, 8:23 PM
You could get creative and mount peltier plates with large heatsinks and fans directly to the laser module. They'll drop the temperature up to 40 degrees below ambient. A little crazy of an idea but, if done correctly, might just do the job.
Please explain

Doug Griffith
07-01-2011, 8:36 PM
A peltier is a heat pump that, simply put, pulls heat from one side of the plate and expels it on the other. All in relation to how well the heat from the hot side of the plate can be evacuated. Many computer modders play around with them and there's a lot of info online. I've worked with them and they work well.

Joe Pelonio
07-01-2011, 8:57 PM
You can get a "window" AC unit for under $100, I have a pretty big one in my laser shop and keep it at 70F. Even in your situation you could feed the cool air from one directly into the air intake of the laser, while letting the hot air run out into the air outside the covered space.

Craig Matheny
07-01-2011, 9:31 PM
I was thinking maybee get a chiller and put some 90mm radiators over each of the inlets for air in theory that would draw in cool air

Richard Rumancik
07-01-2011, 9:47 PM
For a quick-and-dirty temporary solution I think I'd go for the small A/C unit as Joe suggested. This would require that your laser tube is in it's own enclosure (as opposed to being in the path of exhaust air as some lasers were designed.) If the chamber the tube is in is s separate compartment, then I'd try to feed the cool air into the enclosure at one end and let it exhaust at the other.

To use a room A/C unit you probably want to place the unit several feet away from the laser system. Then you could build a plenum (box) to attach to the "cool" side and connect a flexible duct to the plenum to supply the laser.

Try not to create "cold spots" on the tube so as to keep the temperature uniform.

Craig Matheny
07-02-2011, 4:02 PM
Well I have fixed the issue will post picture next week when I have the camera. Thank you all for your ideas.

Joe Pelonio
07-02-2011, 5:58 PM
Well I have fixed the issue will post picture next week when I have the camera. Thank you all for your ideas.
Wow, a teaser on the Creek just like they do on the TV news. Film at 11?

ray hampton
07-02-2011, 6:38 PM
Wow, a teaser on the Creek just like they do on the TV news. Film at 11?

I hate it when that happen

Craig Matheny
07-03-2011, 12:31 AM
Ouch... I have a cell phone camera but I wanted to give a good picture....So forget news at 11:00 check back next week :)

Craig Matheny
07-06-2011, 7:02 PM
Well here we are mid week and pictures of the a/c for my air cooled laser