PDA

View Full Version : Glaser Screw Chuck evaluation

Harvey Ghesser
07-01-2011, 7:03 PM
Didn't feel like doing much today but thought it might be fun to try out my new Glaser Screw Chuck and share the experience with ya'll!

The first thing I did was drill a 1/4" inch hole 3/4" deep into the cherry blank and then insert the Glaser Screw Chuck. BTW, the instructions were written by Jerry Glaser himself.

I then screwed the chuck into the wood and mounted it on the spindle. I noticed that the threads are very thin and are supposed to not damage the wood fibers so that if the need to remove and replace the chuck at a later time, this can easily be done. I compared the Glaser screw itself with the one that comes with my Oneway Talon and Stronghold Chucks and the Glaser screw was very "crisp" and polished in comparison.
I then tightened the screwchuck to the spindle with the hardened stainless tommy bars which came with the Glaser.
Then the fun began! I think It's my newest best tool!:D
I can see already that the Glaser Screw Chuck will be getting a real workout in my shop. :D The learning curve on this is minimal (really) and I felt safe using it. The hardened stainless steel screw used really held the wood tight up against the body of the chuck. For smaller bowls you don't need to use the collar and for larger bowls there is a 5 1/2" collar available.
The Glaser Screw Chuck is a very elegant alternative to the faceplate.:D

Joe Adams
07-01-2011, 7:19 PM
Good review and photos.

I use a Oneway Talon wormscrew and am curious as to what advantage the Glaser might offer (other than looking mighty cool).

Thanks!

David DeCristoforo
07-01-2011, 8:38 PM
The worm screw is (IMMHO) crude compared to the Glaser screw. At least the one that comes with the Nova chucks is. The holding power of the Glaser screw is legendary.

Jeff Nicol
07-01-2011, 8:59 PM
I use the one way and it has sharp deep threads that cut in and hold very well. I made a small one that is somewhat like the glaser out of a hardened deep threaded screw for attaching decks to the house, I use it for smaller bowls up to maybe 8" and it has done everything I want it to do. Not everyone has the desire or the tools to make a lot of the things I do so I guess I am spoiled that way!

Looks like a nice tool, but my frugal soul won't let me have one,

Jeff

David DeCristoforo
07-01-2011, 9:42 PM
"...one way...has sharp deep threads that cut in and hold very well..."

The main advantage is that the Glaser screw only needs a 1/4" X 3/4" deep hole. The "Woodworm" needs a 3/8" X 1 1/2 - 2" hole. I have not yet tested the capacity of the Glaser chuck with the large backing plate but the screw itself has a tenacious grip. I mounted a 2" X 6" chunk of wood on mine with the screw driven into the end and then whacked the wood on the other end with a hammer just to see. The wood did break and come off the chuck but there was a large chunk still gripped by the screw. It's pretty amazing how well this thing holds. Most people think nothing of having several big chucks like the Novas or Oneways. I only have one. But I now have two Glaser screw chucks and I would not mind having a couple more!

Jeff Nicol
07-01-2011, 10:02 PM
The Oneway that I have only goes in the wood about 1" after it is mounted in the chuck and on most all of the woods I have used it on a 5/16" bit is just fine and on pine or aspen or softer woods smaller is better as the threads are deep and they cut right into the soft wood. On wet wood it holds almost to good sometimes with larger blanks. I have a 1/2" spacer that I will use on plates and platters so it will only go in about 1/2" and it will hold a 16"x2" blank with no trouble.

Just like everything, when you like it you like it, and there are a thousand things that are just as good, but not always practical to have them all, but I am a toolaholic and may try to have it all before I go to the big woodshop in the sky!

Happy 4th of July to everyone!

Jeff

David DeCristoforo
07-01-2011, 10:10 PM
"Just like everything...not always practical to have them all..."

Yes... Depressing isn't it? Like I said, I have never used the Oneway but I have the Nova and there is no comparison between that and the Glaser screw. BTW, I love the steady you made.

Wally Dickerman
07-01-2011, 10:11 PM
I got my first Glaser screw chuck soon after they came out in the early 90's. I'd been using screw chucks for a number of years. The quality of the Glaser is way above the others. The real difference is in the screw itself. The threads are deeper, sharper and thinner than any other. The holding power is better because the threads displace very little wood.

I'm a lefty and for years turned in reverse on the outboard side of my then lathe, a General 260. I asked Gerry if he would make me a chuck for a lefty. He did. The threads on the screw are left handed and the chuck was threaded to fit the left hand threads on my lathe. The 260 is long gone but I still have the chuck which gathers dust. I do have 2 Glaser chucks to fit the 33mm threads on my Oneway.

I usually use a screw chuck with a glue block. It's nice not to have the mass of a 4-jaw chuck when I'm turning, especially small pieces.

A couple of tips in using a screw chuck....because you have only one screw in the center, it's necessary to get a very tight fit on the blank. I often use a large slip joint pliers to give it that little extra turn. When using soft wood it helps to apply some thin CA to the screw hole. Be sure the glue is dry when mounting the chuck. You really don't want to glue the chuck to the wood.:mad:

Jon Nuckles
07-01-2011, 11:01 PM
I have the SN2 and haven't had any problems with the screw up to now. It sticks out 3/4" from the #2 jaws, and takes a 5/16" hole. Unfortunately, I have only one chuck body and I recently put the powergrip jaws on it. Now the screw doesn't stick out at all. Guess I "need" the Glaser screw chuck or a second chuck body now! I bought the Oneway big bite so I can start my turnings between centers without removing the chuck, so I am leaning toward a second chuck body right now. Of course, I may be tempted by the CBN grinder wheel instead. I didn't go to the symposium, so I figure I can spend all the money I saved by staying home.

Chris Burgess
07-01-2011, 11:26 PM
That sounds great. I have a PSI chuck and it has the Screw adaptor but I alreadysheared the threads off of one. PSI sent a replacement w/in a couple of days.It seems beefier. We'll see. The thought of only needing 1/4 x 3/4 isappealing.

Bill Blasic
07-02-2011, 7:36 AM
Wow, I guess I am fortunate that my crude screw for my Nova Chucks has never given me any grief. It has held solid in every piece I've done. The only "problem" that I've had is that about 50% of the time I have to loosen the jaws and take the piece out and loosen the screw with pliers. The advantage is that I can turn the piece right around and mount it in the jaws without having to take off a screw chuck and put on a jawed chuck. If I need a shallow hole I just use spacers and have no problem holding a piece with just a couple of threads.
Bill

Michael Mills
07-02-2011, 9:06 AM
Unfortunately, I have only one chuck body and I recently put the powergrip jaws on it. Now the screw doesn't stick out at all.
Actually, Nova did make a worm screw for the powergrips. I have one, it came in their Supernova Premier edition.
I seldom use a worm screw but I have never had a problem when I did (never even tried it with the powergrips, just the 50mm jaw standard worm screw).
This has nothing to do with the Glaser and I am sure it is an excellent product.

John King
07-02-2011, 9:48 AM
Where did you buy the Glaser Screw Chuck? How much did it cost? - John

Didn't feel like doing much today but thought it might be fun to try out my new Glaser Screw Chuck and share the experience with ya'll!

The first thing I did was drill a 1/4" inch hole 3/4" deep into the cherry blank and then insert the Glaser Screw Chuck. BTW, the instructions were written by Jerry Glaser himself.

I then screwed the chuck into the wood and mounted it on the spindle. I noticed that the threads are very thin and are supposed to not damage the wood fibers so that if the need to remove and replace the chuck at a later time, this can easily be done. I compared the Glaser screw itself with the one that comes with my Oneway Talon and Stronghold Chucks and the Glaser screw was very "crisp" and polished in comparison.
I then tightened the screwchuck to the spindle with the hardened stainless tommy bars which came with the Glaser.
Then the fun began! I think It's my newest best tool!:D
I can see already that the Glaser Screw Chuck will be getting a real workout in my shop. :D The learning curve on this is minimal (really) and I felt safe using it. The hardened stainless steel screw used really held the wood tight up against the body of the chuck. For smaller bowls you don't need to use the collar and for larger bowls there is a 5 1/2" collar available.
The Glaser Screw Chuck is a very elegant alternative to the faceplate.:D

Harvey Ghesser
07-02-2011, 10:34 AM
Hi John,

You can go to the Glaserhitec.com website and get all the information you need. I've bought several items from them and the service is as great as the product.

Harv

Michael Ginsberg
07-02-2011, 10:37 AM
I have both The Glaser screw chuck and the Oneway longer 2" screw. They both work very well. The Glaser is very finely machined and looks very cool!!
I also have the screws that came with my Nova and Vicmarc chucks. The threads are knowhere as sharp as the Glaser and the Oneway. The bite of the wood is not comparable.

Jerry Wright
07-02-2011, 1:02 PM
I too have a nova chuck and screw as well as the glaser. I occasionally have alignment issues when turning a bowl around after turning the foot on the screw and then gripping the spigot with jaws. There are lots of tools out and accessories out there and we need to keep our minds open. As the jammed tail stock said to the head stock, "we seem to be stuck in our ways."

Harvey Ghesser
07-02-2011, 1:28 PM
Wow, I guess I am fortunate that my crude screw for my Nova Chucks has never given me any grief. It has held solid in every piece I've done. The only "problem" that I've had is that about 50% of the time I have to loosen the jaws and take the piece out and loosen the screw with pliers. The advantage is that I can turn the piece right around and mount it in the jaws without having to take off a screw chuck and put on a jawed chuck. If I need a shallow hole I just use spacers and have no problem holding a piece with just a couple of threads.
Bill

That' the point, Bill!
I'm not saying that you can't accomplish whatever you want with a screw. For all intents and purposes, one could just fasten the piece of wood with drywall screws and mount it on the lathe...

With this unit I DON'T have to use plyers to loosen the screw and for the shallow holes, a turn of the threaded plate takes care of that without using a spacer. It is always on center and the accuracy and machining quality of the Glaser Screw Chuck is absolutely superb!

Besides, if I want a larger piece of wood, without removing the body, I just change the collar to a larger one which gives me 4.5" support on one side or 5.5" on the other side.

Bill, you must agree with me, that Jerry Glaser was ahead of his time when he came up with that in the 1980's. I believe as a woodturner, you can also attest to the fact that these innovations, created on his own....never copied anybody....and even had a patent....pretty cool in my book....creating stuff from scratch and seeing your name go into the future! Just do an internet search on Jerry Glaser. I can see Glaser Hitec being as old as a Sorby's or beyond if they continue with this type of quality and innovation.

Currently, I've got my eyes on their quick release system which is coming up. I understand Bonnie Klein and Jimmy Clews are big supporters of this system. No set screws!

You should check out their write up on the miniGlaser, Bill...

Dave Kartzman
07-02-2011, 4:32 PM
I have the newer Glaser screw chuck from Paolo Marin, and I love it... the threads bite into hardwoods beautifully and I have rarely ever had the threads cut loose (only on softer hardwoods). To get around that I bore the hole 1/16" smaller than I normally would for hardwoods (it can be a bear to thread but it works).

Wally Dickerman
07-02-2011, 5:01 PM
I have the newer Glaser screw chuck from Paolo Marin, and I love it... the threads bite into hardwoods beautifully and I have rarely ever had the threads cut loose (only on softer hardwoods). To get around that I bore the hole 1/16" smaller than I normally would for hardwoods (it can be a bear to thread but it works).

Dave, when you're using the screw chuck on softer woods, apply some thin CA after you've bored the hole. Really firms up the wood.

Joe Adams
07-02-2011, 5:02 PM
Okay, I'm sold. Open wallet, feed vortex.

Dave Kartzman
07-02-2011, 5:14 PM
Hi Wally....

Thanks for the suggestion. When I turn bottle stoppers on my mandrel, I do run into those situations where I have had to add CA glue to the thread (especially with spalted woods), but I have had good success on the Glaser chuck by boring the hole a little smaller. The threads on the glaser chuck are so sharp, that works really well. When I have been away from turning, I will turn some pine or douglas fir first, and when I do the softwood, I bore the hole at least 1/8" smaller.... the Glaser chuck, for me, is a mandatory part of my tools.

Joe, if this is your first experience with the vortex, enjoy the ride. It's wonderful! (except when you get the bill at the end of the month!...lol)

Jeff Nicol
07-02-2011, 7:50 PM
I knew they were pricey buy for $155.00 for the base unit and then another $65. for the bigger backer plus shipping and tax. I can buy a new Oneway talon chuck with the screw and jaws, seems a far better deal for most casual turners. But if you are a production guy turning 100s of small items the same one after the other, I can see an advantage.

It kind of goes to the old adage that a Chevy will get you there, but a Cadillac will get you there in style but with a much thinner wallet!

When I ge back to Wisconsin after visiting our new grandson I will post a picture of my creation from a few years ago, I might have $3.00 in it, but it is not pretty nor is it food grade, not sure why that is needed but it must be important for the $35-$40 for a replacement screw.

I guess I am jabbing a little bit, but I just don't get it,

Jeff

Jerry Wright
07-02-2011, 8:26 PM
I knew they were pricey buy for $155.00 for the base unit and then another $65. for the bigger backer plus shipping and tax. I can buy a new Oneway talon chuck with the screw and jaws, seems a far better deal for most casual turners. But if you are a production guy turning 100s of small items the same one after the other, I can see an advantage.

It kind of goes to the old adage that a Chevy will get you there, but a Cadillac will get you there in style but with a much thinner wallet!

When I ge back to Wisconsin after visiting our new grandson I will post a picture of my creation from a few years ago, I might have $3.00 in it, but it is not pretty nor is it food grade, not sure why that is needed but it must be important for the $35-$40 for a replacement screw.

Jeff
Jeff - Dollar and cents arguments are hard to apply to hobbies or passions. I even know people who have justified spending $3000 - $5000 on lathes, imagine that. Some folks even justify variable speed drives when pulley changes worked for years, imagine that. I even have a neighbor or two with a swimming pool, when there is a public one down the street - imagine that!:) Seems, somedays, that it should be OK to just plain like any tool or accessory, and share that joy, especially if you take the time to show or explain why you like it. LIking one thing doesn't have to mean disliking another.

Harvey Ghesser
07-02-2011, 8:39 PM

Jeff

Jeff, allow me to quote Mr. Decristoforo...."the holding power of the Glaser screw is legendary".

I personally enjoy driving a Cadillac.

Rick Markham
07-02-2011, 10:37 PM
You guys are killing me! Ever since David D. posted about getting the new version of this chuck, and his experiences with his old one, it has been in the back of my mind. I have the Nova screw, and though it works it's not ideal. Now two of you are ranting and raving about it, it is no longer lurking in the background. Guess I better start saving my pennies again lol. Great review Harvey ;)

Harvey Ghesser
07-03-2011, 10:37 AM
You guys are killing me! Ever since David D. posted about getting the new version of this chuck, and his experiences with his old one, it has been in the back of my mind. I have the Nova screw, and though it works it's not ideal. Now two of you are ranting and raving about it, it is no longer lurking in the background. Guess I better start saving my pennies again lol. Great review Harvey ;)

Thank you, Rick!

It was my intention to share information on this product. I found the Glaser Screw Chuck to be a worthwhile addition and as such wanted to share with others. However, there are some here who take on an almost adversarial approach and attempt to denigrate both the product and my analysis. Can't understand it.:o

If you get one, you'll love it!

Harv

Jerry Wright
07-03-2011, 12:08 PM
Harvey - that is why one of my favorite self analysis sayings is "There are those who do, there are those that do, what kind of person are you."

Continue your careful analysis of any tool or accessory, and I will enjoy reading it. Remember that unsupported commentary is like wood, most of us have too much of it! :)

Rick Markham
07-03-2011, 5:36 PM
Harvey, Don't get discouraged, woodworkers, woodturners, we are all passionate people. The craft, the art, and the tools are generally the three biggest passions among us. Often in varying amounts depending on the individual.

Don't get me wrong I enjoy well crafted beautiful tools, but ultimately we can't lose sight of the fact that tools are just a means to an end. I'm always interested in seeing a different way of doing something. One of the things I love the most about turning is no two of us do it exactly the same :)

Thanks for taking the time to do this review, I will be picking one of these up in the future.

Justin Stephen
07-03-2011, 8:33 PM

Since no one has rushed to your defense on this one, I shall. While this seems like a great tool to have around, I cringed when I saw the pricetag and immediately made the same Oneway Talon mental price comparison as you.

Harvey Ghesser
07-03-2011, 9:03 PM
Since no one has rushed to your defense on this one, I shall. While this seems like a great tool to have around, I cringed when I saw the pricetag and immediately made the same Oneway Talon mental price comparison as you.

Justin,
I'm so sorry that this finely engineered devise is out of your price range... there are many things in life I simply can't afford either. But I can't imagine that Jeff Nicol needs anyone to come to his defense for his opinions.

Justin Stephen
07-03-2011, 9:20 PM
Justin,
I'm so sorry that this finely engineered devise is out of your price range... there are many things in life I simply can't afford either. But I can't imagine that Jeff Nicol needs anyone to come to his defense for his opinions.

I rather enjoyed your fallacious assumption that anyone capable of doing a basic cost-benefit analysis must be destitute.

Jon Nuckles
07-03-2011, 9:29 PM
Harvey,

I appreciate your review and the time you put into it. I may not pony up the cash to buy one, but I like reading about well-made tools. For what it's worth, I didn't read Jeff's (or anyone else's) replies as critical of the tool or of you for liking it, just the price. Hope you don't feel attacked.

Jon

Harvey Ghesser
07-03-2011, 9:36 PM
Harvey,

I appreciate your review and the time you put into it. I may not pony up the cash to buy one, but I like reading about well-made tools. For what it's worth, I didn't read Jeff's (or anyone else's) replies as critical of the tool or of you for liking it, just the price. Hope you don't feel attacked.

Jon
Not at all Jon. Just felt that for whatever reason, Justin needed to come to Jeff's defense.:confused:

Justin Stephen
07-04-2011, 12:18 AM
Not at all Jon. Just felt that for whatever reason, Justin needed to come to Jeff's defense.:confused:

I shall rephrase then. I agree with Jeff's skepticism, not of the quality and usefulness of the tool, but of the function that it provides over existing solutions for the price.

neil mackay
07-04-2011, 3:33 AM
Actually, Nova did make a worm screw for the powergrips. I have one, it came in their Supernova Premier edition.
I seldom use a worm screw but I have never had a problem when I did (never even tried it with the powergrips, just the 50mm jaw standard worm screw).
This has nothing to do with the Glaser and I am sure it is an excellent product.

[/QUOTE]

Yes I have three Nova SN2 screw chucks and use them allot, never had a problem in 6 years.

Bill Blasic
07-04-2011, 7:45 AM
That' the point, Bill!
I'm not saying that you can't accomplish whatever you want with a screw. For all intents and purposes, one could just fasten the piece of wood with drywall screws and mount it on the lathe...

With this unit I DON'T have to use plyers to loosen the screw and for the shallow holes, a turn of the threaded plate takes care of that without using a spacer. It is always on center and the accuracy and machining quality of the Glaser Screw Chuck is absolutely superb!

Besides, if I want a larger piece of wood, without removing the body, I just change the collar to a larger one which gives me 4.5" support on one side or 5.5" on the other side.

Bill, you must agree with me, that Jerry Glaser was ahead of his time when he came up with that in the 1980's. I believe as a woodturner, you can also attest to the fact that these innovations, created on his own....never copied anybody....and even had a patent....pretty cool in my book....creating stuff from scratch and seeing your name go into the future! Just do an internet search on Jerry Glaser. I can see Glaser Hitec being as old as a Sorby's or beyond if they continue with this type of quality and innovation.

Currently, I've got my eyes on their quick release system which is coming up. I understand Bonnie Klein and Jimmy Clews are big supporters of this system. No set screws!

You should check out their write up on the miniGlaser, Bill...

Harvey,
I'm not dissing the glaser I'm just stating that the Nova screw has great holding ability (that is why I have to take it off to loosen it). The more important fact is that I do not have to then take off the screw chuck and add a gripping chuck as it is already there. And I have seen the miniGlaser set which works like a quick release air hose fitting. I believe that there will be better quick release systems coming in the future but I've not yet run into a need for them. The important thing for me is that be it grub screws or collet handles I want to be able to take the tool out of the handle to sharpen it.
Bill

Jerry Wright
07-04-2011, 8:19 AM
Bill - I am a big fan of technical innovation. What I find refreshing about Jerry Glaser's old products as well as the products from the "new Glaser" crew is that they were and are true innovations. Lots of companies simply produce products that they see others already producing and then try to add to or join the existing market. Few if any actually innovate anything. Innovation is one of those things where either the culture of the company has it or doesn't have it. It can't be faked. Relative to the new quick release innovation - compared to set screws, you have to admit that it is a neat concept. If one wants to separate a tool from the handle for sharpening, it seems that it would be handy not to have to reach for the T-wrench. Also the tolerances necessary to execute such a handle are indicative to me of overall quaity of the entire tool.
What I don't understand is the general aversion of some to anything new or different. I still have a 1930s vintage Craftsman 9" lathe with brass bushings, oil cups, and open step cone pulleys, and a set of HCS tools. It is really all I need to do spindle work, or small boxes or bowls. Is it my only lathe? No. Why - because things have come a long way since 1932 and will continue to do so. As to pricing of excellent tools, I used to know a BMW motorcylist, who worked for me, who bought a $200 helmet 25 years ago. I asked him if he couldn't get a $50 helmet. He said - "If I thought I had a $50 head, I would buy a $50 helmet!" 'nuff said. :)

John Keeton
07-04-2011, 11:04 AM
Folks, this thread started out as a tool review by a satisfied user. Let's not let it degrade into some form of a tool comparison, or a comparison of manufacturers. It would seem sufficient in a tool review thread, that other posters either find the information helpful and comment accordingly, or simply ignore it. It doesn't accomplish much to go into other areas except to cause dissent. That won't be tolerated. This thread is not about handles, it is not about innovative technology (except as to the product being reviewed), and it is not about whether some folks are more accepting of a new idea.

Let's keep it on topic, and without discourse.

Jerry Wright
07-04-2011, 11:22 AM
John: Point well taken!! Nicely moderated. Happy 4th!!!

Jerry

Bill Bolen
07-04-2011, 12:29 PM
Cool tool and your review is sure appreciated.

Harvey Ghesser
07-04-2011, 1:39 PM
Cool tool and your review is sure appreciated.

Thank you, Bill. I enjoyed putting the review together.

Peter Fabricius
07-04-2011, 2:13 PM
Nice review Harvey;
It looks like the Glasser model is very well made and those that have it obviously like it. Well done.
There have been a couple of comments about getting the wood on or off a woodscrew... I have a rubber strap tool (Canadian Tire Corp, called a Cobra strap, I think) that easily adjusts to the diameter of the wood and allows a good firm grip for getting it off, in particular. If my wood blank is hard to screw onto the woodscrew I apply a little candle wax inside the hole and it goes on just fine, up tight against the jaw. I have two OneWay Stronghold chucks and in the #2 jaws the screw needs a 3/8 x 3/4 deep hole. I also use a 1/8" plexiglass or 1/4" plywood spacer if I am working on a platter with little depth. Never a failure -- all good!!!
I have made a few much smaller woodscrew chucks for mini projects and they are also very efficient and easy to use.
Nice thread, nice to hear about good tools.
Peter F.

Jeff Nicol
07-04-2011, 3:39 PM
Harvey, It seems that I am the only one who will be totally honest about every issue that can affect those who are looking for something to add to their arsonal of tools. I understand all that goes into designing, testing and building things and have done so for about 35 years. So I feel that I will give insight in more of a real world laymans way of looking at things. Everyone would love to have the best of everything, but most times it is not possible. That being said, if someone builds something that is beautiful, with all efforts at perfection of looks, materials and function with a "Known" name on it, some how it becomes more valuable. I just don't understand that idea, that a name adds value to a product, but in marketing if you can get the rights to add the name of someone to it there are those who will buy it just because of the name, even if the product is the basically the same as someone elses. This sort of "Prestige" buying is great for the independently wealthy and the hollywood types, but the blue collar Joe will most always want the "Gold" standard, but can only afford the "Steel" or should I say "Steal"
of a deal standard.

So Justin is in the normal class of folks and just agreed with my input, the Glaser screw is a beautiful piece of machining and anodizing for sure, but no matter it is way to expensive for what it is in the eyes of people like me.

Honesty is always the best policy so fear not what you feel or see, we all have opinions good or bad right or wrong it still keeps us involved and learning every day,

Land of the free home of the brave, Enjoy our nations Independence day,

Jeff

Harvey Ghesser
07-04-2011, 3:48 PM
Harvey, It seems that I am the only one who will be totally honest about every issue that can affect those who are looking for something to add to their arsonal of tools. I understand all that goes into designing, testing and building things and have done so for about 35 years. So I feel that I will give insight in more of a real world laymans way of looking at things. Everyone would love to have the best of everything, but most times it is not possible. That being said, if someone builds something that is beautiful, with all efforts at perfection of looks, materials and function with a "Known" name on it, some how it becomes more valuable. I just don't understand that idea, that a name adds value to a product, but in marketing if you can get the rights to add the name of someone to it there are those who will buy it just because of the name, even if the product is the basically the same as someone elses. This sort of "Prestige" buying is great for the independently wealthy and the hollywood types, but the blue collar Joe will most always want the "Gold" standard, but can only afford the "Steel" or should I say "Steal"
of a deal standard.

So Justin is in the normal class of folks and just agreed with my input, the Glaser screw is a beautiful piece of machining and anodizing for sure, but no matter it is way to expensive for what it is in the eyes of people like me.

Honesty is always the best policy so fear not what you feel or see, we all have opinions good or bad right or wrong it still keeps us involved and learning every day,

Land of the free home of the brave, Enjoy our nations Independence day,

Jeff

Thank you, Jeff. I have always appreciated your thoughtful input.:)

Jim Heikes
07-04-2011, 6:49 PM
I TOTALLY concur with Jeff. I'm going to start calling my friend "the professor." In my humble opinion, his replies are always extremely thoughtful and cogent.

That said I find these discussions both informative and entertaining at the same time. I liken some of them to the long time war between Ford pickup owners (introduced in 1948) and Chevy pickup owners (introduced in 1930). Since the debate erupted in 1948 there has NEVER been a meeting of the minds. However we all truly know that the F150 is the best truck made.:D:D:D:D:D