PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis Peacock
02-14-2005, 8:56 AM
Well, another weekend has come and gone. The weather here finally broke and we have SUNSHINE for the first time in WEEKS!!!! :D

Spent a little time in the shop this weekend. Mostly just piddling around in the shop for a change and realizing how much cleanup I honestly need to do. Maybe one day in spring so I can open all the doors and just blow the shop clean with my leaf blower. :eek:

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Jeff Sudmeier
02-14-2005, 9:08 AM
I monkied around with some more dust collection enhancements. I played with a new toy I received on Friday, gloat to come :). Finally, I filled out the raised panels for my dresser sides and assembled the sides. The rest of the weekend was spent with family.

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

Jeff

Keith Christopher
02-14-2005, 9:10 AM
Nada, I just cleaned up a little. was a lazy restful weekend. because next weekend won't be! :D

Bob Hovde
02-14-2005, 9:13 AM
Went to the Habitat for Humanity Re-Store and picked up a couple of doors for the garage. Built door casings, mortised and installed all of the hinges, and got the two garage doors and a door to the new shop installed. A little trim and it'll look like I know what I'm doing.

Bob

Jim Becker
02-14-2005, 9:38 AM
It was a "this and that" weekend around here with a bunch of odd-jobs and only a little "woodworking". I managed to get the new lighting in the pantry finished...a job that has been hanging on for far too long...and also hung a new fixture at the top of the back stairs. The old one was not in a style we prefer and with the low ceilings in that 250 year old portion of our home, it was very easy for folks like me to get conked in the head...right at the top of a steep stairway. It's gone and replaced with a nice, sedate fixture that hugs the 78" high ceiling. Of course, like any good project, I managed to buy the wrong lighting units for the pantry on the first trip to the 'Depot ("read the box....read the box...read the box...") and thus, wasted an hour and a half rectifying the mistake. I also caulked and painted the new railing on the same rear stairs and while I had the caulk gun out, I took care of a number of areas in the kitchen that things have finally settled in.

Sunday, after a late start and the wait for the shop to warm up, I worked on getting our kitchen knives into a drawer on the kitchen island as a better and safer storage solution. That is detailed in another thread... (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=16854) I also put time in working in SketchUp! on some floorplan ideas for a potential home addition should the Prize Patrol ever decide to show up in our driveway with a big check... ;)

DVD of the week was Mystic River, a very dark story, but well played by Sean Penn, Tim Robbins, etc. Dr. SWMBO cooked up a storm this weekend with a wonderful mushroom and pasta dish on Satruday and a delightful pork roast on Sunday. I choose a Sebastiani Merlot (2000) and LOML, who only drinks white, chose Pshcevino Marche Bianco (2003). She also put her new breadmaker to work and provided not only a loaf that tasted like and felt like english muffins, but some fresh strawberry jam. No weight loss this weekend...not that I'm trying! :)

----
Edit...oh, I did the preliminary run of our taxes. While I always plan to owe something (I don't give interest-free loans), the changes in the tax code for some reason withheld slightly less than they did previously. Hence, the tax bill will be about a grand more this year. :rolleyes: Not a problem, but not what I wanted. Fortunately, I have some money automatically shuffled each month to an interest bearing account at ING for my local taxes (which my employer will not withhold) as well as the delta in federal from what comes out and what is ultimately required. Any left over is for tools, of course... :D

John Shuk
02-14-2005, 9:46 AM
I showed my friend the giant jointer that has been under a tarp on a trailer in my driveway. He was admiring it and told me he would be back in an hour with his backhoe to lift it off the trailer and get it into the garage. Sommethings you don't politely decline. Help moving an 800 - 1000 pound jointer with a big machine is something you jump on! John and his brother Joe were back in a little while and in 15 minutes the machine was in the garage ready to work on. In 25 minutes John had about 3/4 chord of split dried fire wood thats been sitting at my house a while loaded in the bucket of the machine and a half hour later we were drinking some Sam Adam's white ale. What a good day!

Jim O'Dell
02-14-2005, 10:09 AM
Hi all!

Did a little bit Sat. am caulking the siding on the shop addition, then it started raining. Sunday was beautiful here, too. Had all day to myself as the LOML was at an agility trial again. Finished the caulking, mixed up some bondo and filled the screw holes. Had to spend quite a bit of time with the dogs, keeping them happy. Did some digging to get the dirt and grass away from the foundation. Still need to decide what to do for water drainage here. The addition is ready to paint now. I need to have another beautiful weekend to get that done. Jim.

Frank Pellow
02-14-2005, 10:26 AM
As reported last week, I am making Murphy bed for our guest/sewing room. The first attached photo shows me assembling the frame of that bed. A big problem that I faced was that we have a set of very useful but ugly wall cabinets in the room that Margaret needs for her various projects. They are particle board with a thin veneer of what I thought was ugly wood. Early Saturday morning, I decided to sand off the finish to see what was underneath. To my amazement and delight, the veneer is birch and it is a good match for the birch plywood that I am using for the bed. It is going to be a tedious and time consuming job sanding down all the cabinets (there are 10 of them) but, at least, my Festool sanders make the job possible. The second picture shows one of the refinished drawers. I am using Minwax Satin Pecan Polyshades.

To the right and left of the drawer in the picture are small pieces of plywood that I have stained with green and with blue stain. We are contemplating using one of these stains to stain some of the trim on the bed and cabinets. (I would appreciate comments on this (and I have thick skin, so if you hate the idea, please tell me so).

Bob Winkler
02-14-2005, 10:31 AM
Met a fellow Creeker Lou Sansone, who was kind enough to spend several hours with me and my daughter showing his awesome home and workshop. He also allowed me to pick out some nice cherry and tiger maple boards from his considerable stock for an upcoming bookcase project. He humbled, inspired, and motivated me all in one visit.

Bob

Jim Fancher
02-14-2005, 10:58 AM
I installed one of these ....

http://www.suburbangarage.com/tech/wynn/wynn.jpg

And assembled one of these ...

http://www.suburbangarage.com/tech/table/47078.gif

I picked up the HF clamping table for $12.99 for a goof. I have a Wolfcraft 6136 coming this week and I wanted to compare the two.

Scott Coffelt
02-14-2005, 11:00 AM
I had all I could ask for... a major gloat.

Sunday was my Mom and Dad's 50 wedding anniv. Tons of friends and family, my aunt from the West Coast flew in. We got to take pictures of the intire family and all siblings, grand kids etc. Had a professional photographer. First time in 10-15 years that we had a family pic like that. Something more rare was that the best man and maid of honor were both present, not too usual for a 50th.

The rest of the weekend, was good but not worth the same attention for me....

OK, I got to charge up the new Festool TDD. Pics coming this evening.

Dan Gill
02-14-2005, 11:04 AM
I didn't have a lot of time in the shop, but I put the doors together and finished my bathroom medicine cabinet. Pics coming when I get it installed.

Unfortunately, my brother in Honolulu told me the box I made and sent to him got broken in transit. I THOUGHT I'd packed it well. He'll have to send it back to me for repair, I guess.

Kyle Stiefel
02-14-2005, 11:48 AM
I able to accomplish several things which were in need of completion. Taxes, finishing my workbench table with BLO, sharpening my chisels, and packing for the village where I will work this week. On my way down to the float plane dock now. Good week to all.

Matt Meiser
02-14-2005, 12:02 PM
I spent some time Saturday in the shop on some shelves for our family room. Spent some time Saturday and Sunday window shopping for our upcoming Master Bath refresh. I also picked up and assembled one of the Harbor Freight 12.99 workmate knockoffs. Can't complain for the price and I have something to use as a work surface in the house. Finally, I spent some time collaborating with my brother on the design for the buffet I'm going to be building him and his future wife.

Byron Trantham
02-14-2005, 12:20 PM
Spent a bit time in the shop making a series of picture frames for a client. Cleaned up the shop to get ready for a larger project for my daughter; an Island for her kitchen. Pics will be forth-coming. ;)

Scott Parks
02-14-2005, 12:31 PM
I had a trip cancel, so I sat around Denver for the weekend. Work has had me very busy for the past 6 weeks, so it was odd for me to sit around for the weekend. So, I did my taxes. I was expecting to owe this year (the way I plan it) beause I didn't buy any real estate this year and have originating points to deduct. However with the tax law changes, I have a nice return. This year you can deduct what you paid in state sales taxes instead of income taxes off your Fed return. It sure helped that we bought two new vehicles this year, hence the nice return.

Also played with Sketchup. I made a rendering of our main floor in the house to see what it would look like with laminate and slate in the foyer and on the fireplace. I should be doing the laminate in a couple weeks. About 700 sq/ft. I wish I would have NEVER downloaded the Sketchup demo... 'Cause now I want to buy it!:D

lou sansone
02-14-2005, 12:42 PM
met bob winkler who came over to buy some lumber. It was fun getting together with another wood worker and letting him see my shop. As you can tell from his post he is very gracious and a good guy to do business with. He even put back the 500 or so bd feet of wood he went though for what he was looking for.

Worked on carving my flame finials for the tall case clock I am working on. They are looking pretty good. I need to get a camera and snap a few pictures for you all to see. here is a pic of the outside of my shop..... keep you all guessing

Fred Voorhees
02-14-2005, 4:08 PM
A number of small tasks lined the weekend calendar this weekend. The major part of the weekend was ordering my pool table for the new bar room. Made by the second oldest pool table manufacturing company in the county, it is basically oak with the raised panel portions on the legs being lacewood. Have been mulling this decision over for a couple of weeks and finally did something about it Saturday. Hopefully, it will be delivered sometime in early March.

Due to both my and my better half's busy schedules and poor timing on the weather's part, I finally was able to get around to taking down our Christmas lights on the house. I mounted the oak and walnut flat panel access doors to the nine access holes in the soffits in the bar room and also added a receptacle inside one of the bar rooms window seat areas that will be dedicated to serving the new Bose music system that will reside in the floor to cieling bookcase that I built for the room. Fabricated up and applied some walnut moulding on the bar where the keg cooler sits. This completes the finishing off of the bar. Got a couple of coats of Waterlox sealer on the bi-fold French doors that will close in the closet in the bar room and also, I managed to suck down a few cold Coors Lights while watching Saturday night's Nextel Cup event at Daytona.

Arnie Grammon
02-14-2005, 8:54 PM
Installed about 320 sq ft of Brazilian Cherry hardwood floor on Saturday....Sanded on Sunday......and put the first coat of polyurathane this morning. I borrowed a pneumatic nailer from a contractor.....one of the smarter things I've ever done. The floor looks great.......yeah, I know....."no pics, didn't happen". I'll see what I can do tomorrow as far as pics.

Arnie

Tim Morton
02-14-2005, 9:15 PM
worked on my table saw most of the weekend. Put on a new biesemeyer fence and built what I thought would be a one hour extension table for it. Ended up taking most of one afternoon to build just the frame and get the top cut and glued and clmaped. Problem was I used titebond to try and glue melamine and wood together. So I spent most of the next morning regluing and adding blocks of wood to be able to screw in from the bottom to anchor the glue. Maybe buying the table from biesemeyer wouldn't have been such a bad idea. :D
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=16838

But I am very pleased with the new fence and tables...it feels like a real saw finally. And cheaper than trading it in for a cabinet saw.

David Fried
02-14-2005, 9:25 PM
Down with the flu so I avoided power tools and forced myself to take it easy. Did get a new FWW in the mail so I caught up on my reading.

Joe Mioux
02-14-2005, 9:32 PM
Sold a lot of flowers, especially roses.

Tim Morton
02-14-2005, 9:47 PM
To the right and left of the drawer in the picture are small pieces of plywood that I have stained with green and with blue stain. We are contemplating using one of these stains to stain some of the trim on the bed and cabinets. (I would appreciate comments on this (and I have thick skin, so if you hate the idea, please tell me so).

Frank...you look right at home in the new shop...seems to be a good fit for you!!! I like the green...(and the blue)...it contrasts nicely with the natural stain. Takes on kind of a purpleheart look....greenheart? is that a wood? :D

Kelly C. Hanna
02-15-2005, 7:53 AM
Spent some time with the wife this weekend. We cooked out Saturday, then saw Ray on Sunday. Sunday night was lobster and steak night! We had a great weekend!

Kelly C. Hanna
02-15-2005, 7:54 AM
Nice pool table Fred!!!

Mark Rhodes
02-15-2005, 8:30 AM
Spent the weekend running electricity and plumbing to a greenhouse base that i built in anticipation of the greenhouse getting here this week. So until this is complete i have put all other projects on hold as the weather will be nice here in a few weeks. The wife bought me a Dewalt 616 fixed/plunge router kit for valntines day, i didnt have the heart to tell her i wanted the 618, she was excited that she remebered me saying i wanted a plunge router kit as the old router was about to die.