PDA

View Full Version : First Turning off the Free Lathe (not mine)

Belinda Barfield
07-01-2011, 11:47 AM
A follow up to the gloat thread. All the free stuff is cleaned up and running. One of the shop guys surprised me with what is going to be a candle holder. I get to start learning in the next couple of weeks once I get all the safety stuff. I'm sure I'm going to ask a gajillion questions, so thanks in advance for your patience.

Roger Chandler
07-01-2011, 3:06 PM
Welcome to the Vortex Belinda.............buckle your seatbelt..........you are in for a ride now! That old craftsman cleaned up pretty nicely...........my neighbor has one, and only used it after I gave him his first lesson.......

It will be a learning tool for you, but be forewarned..............an upgrade is in your future..........If you do not believe me, just ask John Keeton or Steve Schlumpf!!! :D:D:D

Belinda Barfield
07-01-2011, 3:26 PM
Thanks Roger! The old Craftsman or the old Shopsmith (also free) will have to do for a while.

mickey cassiba
07-01-2011, 3:26 PM
Bwah hah hah! They got you too!

Steve Schlumpf
07-01-2011, 3:59 PM
Oh my goodness - this just keeps getting better!!! Welcome to the Vortex!

I started on that same style Craftsman lathe - in fact I still have it! Lots of fun but watch out for your knuckles when you go to adjust the tool rest or tailstock! I turned on my Craftsman for 2 full years before figuring out that an upgrade might be nice...

Have fun with this - ask lots of questions and post lots of photos! We love to share in the adventure!

John Keeton
07-01-2011, 4:27 PM
Belinda!!! What are you doing over here?!?!?!? Fantastic! Great to have you as a part of the best forum on SMC (not that I am biased in any way!:rolleyes:) I can remember when the Neander forum was the best, and before that, the Projects forum. But......that was before my world starting spinning!

You are going to love this, and I can't wait to see what comes of it.

Belinda Barfield
07-01-2011, 4:50 PM
Belinda!!! What are you doing over here?!?!?!? Fantastic! Great to have you as a part of the best forum on SMC (not that I am biased in any way!:rolleyes:) I can remember when the Neander forum was the best, and before that, the Projects forum. But......that was before my world starting spinning!

You are going to love this, and I can't wait to see what comes of it.

To answer how I got here, I'll refer you here . . .

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?168241-Just-a-Wee-Gloat!-(I-think)

The only low point I see here is that the lathe is at my shop where I go to work every day. I don't go up there on the weekends if I can possibly avoid it as most weeks I'm there from 6:30 to somewhere between 4 and 5 every day. I'm a little concerned also because the shop guys want to use it to, and because it is on my business property liability would seem to be an issue. Also, the shop is not air conditioned and in the afternoons it can get over 100 degrees. I'm sure the humidity is also going to impact anything I turn other than Corian. I just don't know enough about wood so I'm sure there will be lots and lots of questions.

Rick Markham
07-01-2011, 5:26 PM
Hehe, welcome to the vortex Belinda! Good to see you over here on the round side of the creek. Don't try and fight the current, resistance is futile!:eek:

The lathe looks great, now it's time to get busy and make some curlies!

Keith Westfall
07-02-2011, 1:06 AM
Belinda,

Every once in a while someone ends up here and makes a comment like:

The old Craftsman or the old Shopsmith (also free) will have to do for a while.

It will be interesting to see how long you last before thoughts of lathe upgrades start occupying all your time!!!

Welcome to the creek, and whatever question(s) you have to ask, someone will answer. It IS the greatest place with the greatest people!

Hang on tight!

David Warkentin
07-02-2011, 10:57 AM
How many of you think she'll be at the symposium in two years on Atlanta? She may even have turnings in the gallery. Gotta watch that vortex...

Ron Bontz
07-02-2011, 11:15 AM
You would be surprised what you can do with that old craftsman. Should be a 36/12. I had one for over 20 years until I visited this place. I heard a swirl and sucking sound and the next thing I knew....there was a mustard monster in my shop with Vicmarc chucks wizzing around and Thompsons tools with Pro PMs lurking within my cabinets. Ohhhhhh the humanity of it all. And then there were all the "accessories" and all those little pieces of wood I used to throw away but now save. Between the slippery slope of the hand tools and the vortex of the spinny world it is indeed a tangled web we weave.:D Best of luck and enjoy.

Lee Koepke
07-02-2011, 11:49 AM
there goes the neighborhood!!!!!

You will enjoy this part, I assure you .... looking forward to what you get yourself into.

Rob Cunningham
07-04-2011, 10:01 AM
The vortex pulls in another one :eek:.
Belinda, hang on tight to your wallet. Once your start down this path, there's no turning back. Just look at what happened to John Keeton:)

Josh Bowman
07-04-2011, 2:06 PM
Belinda, the lathe looks great. Your going to have a blast!

Jamie Donaldson
07-04-2011, 2:25 PM
I don't know Belinda and am only an infrequent visitor here, but I do well remember that same Crapsman lathe, 25 yrs. and 7 lathes ago! Belinda, you are doomed!

Baxter Smith
07-04-2011, 10:07 PM
Looks like it will make something round! Good luck with your first one! It wont be your last!

Bernie Weishapl
07-04-2011, 10:54 PM
Belinda you know this black hole of turning is deep. Great to have you here. Nice looking lathe. Have some fun now. Next thing you will learn is your tablesaw makes a great table for holding blanks.:eek::D:rolleyes:

Belinda Barfield
07-05-2011, 7:16 AM
Thanks all. I spent the entire weekend doing the wedding thing - not mine (thankfully). I also spent the entire weekend thinking up things to turn and then engrave with my laser. You guys are right . . . I'm doomed!