PDA

View Full Version : Moving Safe across tile floor

Tom Winship
07-01-2011, 10:16 AM
I have a safe which is in my detached garage (bolted to the floor). Am going to move into walk in closet in bedroom. Have to cross a ceramic tile floor. Safe weighs approx 300 lbs.
Do you think that if we use a two wheel dolly and put 1/2 or 5/8 plywood down on the tile, that it would prevent cracking of the tile?
Also the bolts that were used to hold it to the floor were the "red head" type. How can you remove the bolts from the floor?

Eddie Watkins
07-01-2011, 10:37 AM
I just moved a safe across a ceramic tile floor and did no damage. The safe was 450# and I used a two wheel dolly with air-filled rubber tires. I wasn't smart enough to lay plywood down so I guess I was lucky, nothing broke. The plywood sounds like a good idea.

Tom Winship
07-01-2011, 10:54 AM
Thanks, Eddie. Just trying to keep a $700 safe job from turning into a several thousand $ tille job. My wife would love it.

John Pratt
07-01-2011, 11:38 AM
I guess that depends on the dolly. I have moved several things across tile with air filled tires without problems, but when I moved my safe with a refridgerator dolly (solid wheels) I managed to crack three tiles because I wasn't thinking about the tires and weight load. I should have laid down plywood and will next time since I now have a new tile floor.

Jerry Bruette
07-01-2011, 4:47 PM
Good advice for moving the safe, just go slow, they can tip sideways and get away from you. The Redheads can be pounded down into the floor if the holes were drilled deep enough. If they aren't drilled deep enough then the best way is to grind them off with an angle grinder. Don't try to pull them out they'll just wedge tighter.

Jerry

Jay Maiers
07-03-2011, 9:14 PM
Good advice for moving the safe, just go slow, they can tip sideways and get away from you. The Redheads can be pounded down into the floor if the holes were drilled deep enough. If they aren't drilled deep enough then the best way is to grind them off with an angle grinder. Don't try to pull them out they'll just wedge tighter.

Jerry
Amen. Much easier to cut them off than remove them. Also a+ 1 to ply on the floor. Last year I had a 450 lb safe moved over a tile floor by pro movers. They used 3/4 ply, no problems. If your tile is over joists (not a slab) take extra precautions...

Brian Ashton
07-04-2011, 2:18 AM
I'd be surprised if you had any trouble with 5/8 ply. It would be more than up to 150lbs/sq inch, especially if they air filled. IF you're really worried though put some carpet underneath the ply to help deal with any bumps in the tiles.

John Keeton
07-05-2011, 9:00 PM
There is always the old "roll it on plastic pipe method". Get 5-6 piece of pvc and just roll it along on the pipe, moving sections from back to front. It will distribute the entire weight over a large area.

Tom Winship
07-06-2011, 1:02 PM
Lawyer John,
Do you really think the PVC would support 500+ pounds? (I'm serious).
On a funny note, I called rental tool stores yesterday here in College Station to see if they had a pneumatic tired hand truck. The guy said that all the had was solid tire and that if you put that much weight on a pneumatic tire, it would blow out. Never realized that all those trucks going down the road had solid tires. (Lowe's and HF advertise a 700 pound hand truck with pneumatic tires.
No Aggie jokes please.

Tom Winship
07-14-2011, 12:13 PM
Success! Borrowed a appliance dolly from my local gun shop, hired two 20 year olds, and moved the safe. Laid down plywood strips over the tile and nothing cracked. However my wife did find two pieces cracked about 15 feet away from the path on which we moved it. Only had one tight spot; moving a 22 1/2" wide safe through a 23 1/2 in pocket doorway.
John, did not try the pvc. I'm still intrigued by that tho, and think it would work.