PDA

View Full Version : Best fastening method for treads & skirtboard install

Sean Rainaldi
07-01-2011, 8:54 AM
I'm getting ready to fasten my glued up treads to baltic birch sub treads. Anyone have a favorite fastener? I was thinking about counter sinking pocket hole screws and screwing them down and then plugging the holes but I hate putting plugs into my pretty tread boards. Other than that I could only come up with some large finishing nails and filler. Are there any other methods to hide fasteners - any suggestions?

Also I have not decided if I want to install my treads before or after the skirtboards. The two methods I have heard of are to route the profile of the tread into the skirt board first and cut the treads shorter than the full width between the routed profiles and slip them in - or to intall the treads first and then make a long template of the tread profile and cut out the profile. Any suggestions which way to go?

Thanks.

Kevin Stricker
07-01-2011, 10:35 AM
Favorite "fastener" is construction adhesive with some 16ga nails to hold in place tell it cures. If you install your treads before your skirt you can also use some screws at the edges. Best is having access to the underside of the stairs for a completely hidden fastening solution, but that doesn't happen that often.