PDA

View Full Version : how I make bracelets

Dennis Simmons
07-01-2011, 7:15 AM
In picture 1, I drill a female tenon 1 5/8 inches. In picture 2 this is how I work more than one bracelet from a blank. In picture 3, I turn a male tenon 1 5/8 inch, with a shoulder to true the stock, plus keep the jaws away from the cut off tool. In picture 4, I reverse the blank, and lay out the inside measurement. In picture 5 this is the tool I made for parting, and shoulder cuts. It needs to be very sharp, and work the area by enlarging the cut area, as you go in. Works the same on both sides. Make sure that the outside is finished to your liking and sanded, before you cut it loose. In picture 6 you mount the bracelet, does not take very much pressure to hold it, very lightly clean out the inside, and sand. Picture 7 is the finished product. Picture 8 is how I finish the bracelet, the clamp is a wire holder, for copper tubing, found at hardware stores, I like these because they are cheap and hold the spring tension very well, however you can make some from wire. Picture 9 if you need to remount a bracelet for whatever, put a rubber band around the chuck jaws, then use spacers to true the item, do not use much force to hold the piece.

200000 200005 200002 200001 200006 200003 200004

Dennis Simmons
07-01-2011, 7:19 AM
picture 8 & 9

Tim Thiebaut
07-01-2011, 7:43 AM
Hey Dennis, very well put together tutorial, thanks for doing this!

Greg Just
07-01-2011, 8:40 AM
Thanks Dennis. Looks like you have developed a good system for making these bangles.

Dennis Simmons
07-01-2011, 1:02 PM
Thanks Dennis. Looks like you have developed a good system for making these bangles.

I ordered my pendent plate this morning, thank you for the information.

Tim Rinehart
07-01-2011, 2:14 PM
Nice Dennis. Seeing your explanation and use of rubber band at the end to inside chuck, reminded me that a friend of mine and I were at a show doing some demos, and he took a break and came back with a handful of the little rubber bracelets you see kids and adults wear for some cause or another. I asked him what they were for, and he basically uses them as you show in your last pic as a cushion to the jaws. I got one from him and will try this next time I try a bracelet.
Thanks for the tutorial!

Ronald Fox
07-02-2011, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the tutorial, I'll have to give it a go.

Ron

Donny Lawson
07-02-2011, 2:13 PM
Nice tutorial, where did you order your pendany chuck from?

Jake Helmboldt
07-02-2011, 2:37 PM
Thanks for taking the time to put this out there Dennis. I need to put a few of those on the "to make" list along with ...

Dennis Simmons
07-02-2011, 5:25 PM
Nice tutorial, where did you order your pendany chuck from?

I got it from this link, Ruth Niles, very nice person. I called and ordered it.
http://www.torne-lignum.com/Pendant-chucks.html

Jim Burr
07-02-2011, 5:56 PM
WoW!!! Dennis, you make the beautiful look easy! I may be sending you royalties!!

Dane Fuller
07-02-2011, 8:43 PM
Very nice tutorial Dennis. Thanks

Marc Himes
07-03-2011, 11:10 AM
Thanks for the tutorial, Dennis. I have made some of these before but your system is better than mine. Women really enjoy these. There are only 164 turning days until Christmas. Thanks again.

Marc

Dennis Simmons
07-03-2011, 5:44 PM
I thank everyone for the kind comments. I would like someone please, tell me why the first three pictures show up so large, How do I make all the pictures the same?

Betty Fox
07-03-2011, 10:17 PM

Dennis,
You inspired Ron and I to try this bracelet thing. We started out with a four inch square block of curly maple. Ron used a circle cutting jig on his drill press to cut a 2 3/8 circle out of the middle of the block. He then mounted the square with a circle cut out on the fifty milimeter jaws with tape on the jaws (we forgot the rubber band the first time) and I shaped one side of the bracelet. Then we turned it around and shaped the other side of the bracelet. I sanded the outside on the fifty milimeter jaws, took the bracelet out of those and stuck it on power grip jaws to do the inside of the bracelet. I remembered the rubber band that time. The pics above are what we got once we used a solution created by a Northwest Wood Turner's member including walnut oil, carnuba wax, and shellac. It works great. It's called Doctor's Woodshop. It works great for pens as well. Quick and easy. Thanks for the inspiration Dennis. My sister-in-laws are going to be happy birthday girls this year.

Betty Fox
07-10-2011, 6:56 PM
Here's the latest bracelet. Ron segmented some walnut and maple and turned it this way and that and this is what we came up with.

Billy Tallant
07-11-2011, 12:29 AM
Thanks for the tutorial. That made it a lot clearer how those was created.

Dennis Simmons
07-11-2011, 6:03 PM

Dennis,
You inspired Ron and I to try this bracelet thing. We started out with a four inch square block of curly maple. Ron used a circle cutting jig on his drill press to cut a 2 3/8 circle out of the middle of the block. He then mounted the square with a circle cut out on the fifty milimeter jaws with tape on the jaws (we forgot the rubber band the first time) and I shaped one side of the bracelet. Then we turned it around and shaped the other side of the bracelet. I sanded the outside on the fifty milimeter jaws, took the bracelet out of those and stuck it on power grip jaws to do the inside of the bracelet. I remembered the rubber band that time. The pics above are what we got once we used a solution created by a Northwest Wood Turner's member including walnut oil, carnuba wax, and shellac. It works great. It's called Doctor's Woodshop. It works great for pens as well. Quick and easy. Thanks for the inspiration Dennis. My sister-in-laws are going to be happy birthday girls this year.

I'm happy that you made these, They look good.
Dennis

Dennis Simmons
07-11-2011, 6:35 PM
I see I started something, keep up the good work. This is a walnut burl that someone gave me, you never know what is inside, however, I think there is enough glue in Georgia to save this bracelet. I hope the second one will be easier! :D I was lucky to find the piece that blow out.:eek:

Steve Schlumpf
07-12-2011, 12:13 AM
Dennis - nice work on the bracelet and the tutorial!

The problem with the over-sized photos was most likely caused by trying to insert them inline. I always upload the photos and then click where in the text I want to place the photo to create a placeholder - then click on the paperclip icon to select the photo I want. Works well. If you have any questions on photos... let me know.