PDA

View Full Version : Me and Red Mallee

Scott Hackler
07-01-2011, 12:34 AM
Ok, so I thought I might post a few thoughts on my first experience turning Red Mallee burl. I have turned an Australian burl once before (red gum burl) and I really liked it. The Red Mallee is a very hard and pretty dense wood with a wonderful color (expecially with the sap wood). I found it pretty easy to turn with very sharp tools. I hone a micro bevel on my gouges and I did have to re-hone at least 3 times before it was all over, but the wood was nice to work. The stability of the wood is fantastic. On this new form I am working on, I went down to 1/8" and it WOULDN'T flex at all!!! It is worth meantioning that using the gouge as a scraper to finesse the lines works great on this wood. Working through grits 180, 220, 320, 400 and a final 800 micro mesh makes it like a polished rock!

The stuff is very expensive, IMO. I paid $30 for a burl cap that measured something like 7"x 4.5" x 4.5 thick. Getting it at a show saved me shipping, so it is what it is. I loved working with it and would gladly take a truck load of it for future use!! My regret it to not have boughten a bit more from Jim. I have two pieces left and will wait to turn them.

I am not going to post pictures yet, but rather after the "whole" project is finished.

Hope this helps someone to understand what this type of wood is like and whether it's worth it. G'Day Mate!

Jeff Nicol
07-01-2011, 7:32 AM
Scott, I got 2 pieces also and will study them until I am ready to commit to a form and then dive in head first! I turned one cap before of relativly the same as you mentioned. I paid like $37.00 for the cap and sold the finished bowl with the natural bumpy edge left intact around the bowl for $175.00 it lasted less than an hour in the gallery! I too would take a truck load of it any day, it is great stuff to work with and there are many varities besides the Red and Brown Mallee to try out.

Waiting for pictures,

Jeff

John Keeton
07-01-2011, 8:20 AM
Scott, no one can question the beauty of the Aussie woods!! I really look forward to seeing what you have come up with.

David E Keller
07-01-2011, 11:12 AM
I love the Aussie burls, and I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product. You're right about the scraping... For me, scraping cuts have almost always been better than bevel riding cuts with the harder Aussie stuff.