PDA

View Full Version : My symposium sales help me fund this

Alan Trout
06-30-2011, 11:36 PM
Just a little gloat.

Many of you know that I had a couple of good sales at the symposium last week. I sold my piece that I called "Blue Raspberry Parfait" and my little green one called "Peacock". Plus I have had several other inquires about some larger pieces so I figured I should invest some of the monies into increasing my size capability.

I ordered a large casting pot Tuesday afternoon and this arrived today while I was at work. Next to my new pot is a standard 2.5 gallon pot that I use for some of my smaller pieces. It overall looks to be a good quality pot and will really increase the size piece I can do. But when pots get to this size they get pretty expensive and over this size the get crazy expensive so it is something you have to be committed to doing. I am really looking forward to my next project. I have a few Ideas that this pot will really help with.

Alan

Scott Hackler
06-30-2011, 11:38 PM
Boy thats a big one! Your going to be producing corporate lobby pieces before too long!

Steve Schlumpf
06-30-2011, 11:41 PM
Al - I remember you telling me about this but had no idea it would be this large! Heck... the wing-nuts look like Mickey Mouse ears!!

Looking forward to seeing what you create with it - once you can afford all the resin!! Have fun!!

Bernie Weishapl
06-30-2011, 11:43 PM
Boy Alan that is one big unit. Yep I can see bbbiiiigggg things in your future.

Alan Trout
06-30-2011, 11:52 PM
Steve,

Yep some of those pieces will take a lot of resin for sure. I just got a 2 gallon experimental resin sample that I am going to try on some of my larger volume pieces. It is supposed to give a bit more open time which is handy on the larger castings. It should also cut down on the heat a little as well which would be nice. Now I just have to make some free time to give it all a try.

Alan

charlie knighton
07-01-2011, 2:29 AM
Alan,

nice gloat, look forward to seeing your "upgraded work"

Lupe Duncan
07-01-2011, 3:13 AM
Awesome!!!!

Allen, Do you rough out the shape and then add the resin or do you just dump the chunk of wood in a container and fill the rest with resin?

Ive done blanks but cant imagine a project that large.

joel nucifore
07-01-2011, 5:41 AM
Alan
were did you find one that big??????? company name please...

love your work keep it up and push the bar to a new level..................

Bill Blasic
07-01-2011, 6:44 AM
Alan,
That was quick, can't wait to see what you make with that one!
Bill

Jeff Nicol
07-01-2011, 7:26 AM
Alan, Looks like it may have some weight to it! It also looks like something a mad scientist would have around the laboratory!!! Can't wait to see how it all works out with some larger works of art!

Have fun and have a great Independence day weekend!

Jeff

Trevor Howard
07-01-2011, 7:46 AM
Err, what is it? I am picking up key words like "casting" and "Resin", but have no clue what we are talking about. Could somebody please point me to a thread where I can catch up. Thanks

Doug W Swanson
07-01-2011, 7:55 AM
That's a pretty big upgrade. Can't wait to see what you come up with next!

John Keeton
07-01-2011, 8:17 AM
Err, what is it? I am picking up key words like "casting" and "Resin", but have no clue what we are talking about. Could somebody please point me to a thread where I can catch up. ThanksTrevor, check out this link -
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?167995-Blue-Raspberry-Parfait

John Keeton
07-01-2011, 8:18 AM
Alan, I really do think you have a substantial future with the type of pieces you are doing, and this new equipment will enhance your market potential. Just don't slow down with this - the time is right for you and you need to jump on the opportunity!! I wish you the absolute best!

Tim Rinehart
07-01-2011, 8:19 AM
Err, what is it? I am picking up key words like "casting" and "Resin", but have no clue what we are talking about. Could somebody please point me to a thread where I can catch up. Thanks
Trevor,
Alan has been on the forefront of doing some really creative things using using resins in the formation of the forms he does. Think of the crazy colors and swirls you see in some acrylic pen blanks, then apply that to a piece of wood with some voids and so forth. John Hart also does this using stuff most of us would consume instead of turn. Take a few minutes to do a search on original posts from Alan and you'll see the wonderful creations he does.

Alan...looking forward to seeing what comes of the big pot castings!! Stay safe!

Alan Trout
07-01-2011, 9:21 AM
It is a CA technologies Pot. There are several places on line that you can get them. I bought it online from Spray Gun World. This is the largest casting model. They do not list this one on their site I had e-mail them and then they sent me their phone number because it is not listed on their site and then I called them. A little bit of a hassle but they shipped the pot for free. Every one else wanted $100 in motor freight charges to get the pot to me. I think it is a small company so they don't want to answer calls all day but they were very helpful. They are a great source for HVLP guns and accessories as well.

I am really looking forward to using it. Been crazy trying to get caught up on my work. Maybe finish putting the pot together Sunday and start a new project this next week.

Alan

Nate Davey
07-01-2011, 9:55 AM
Nice Alan, can't wait to see the masterpiece you come up with using this monster.

Bob Bergstrom
07-01-2011, 10:08 AM
With all the Pearl Ex that you put in the parfait, you may have to start buying it by the ton. Can't wait to see what this pot can produce!

Trevor Howard
07-01-2011, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the explanations and links everybody.

David E Keller
07-01-2011, 12:52 PM
Very cool, Alan! I thought about sending you a piece of wood the other day for the casting treatment... Maybe I'll bring it to Waco with me if I can't figure out how to turn it without casting.

Alan Trout
07-01-2011, 3:50 PM
David,

I look forward to seeing you. I always tell people I want the wood that no one can do anything with.

Alan

Jim Burr
07-01-2011, 5:07 PM
That thing is a monster Alan!!! How many pen blanks can you fit in there?;)
Are you going to convert it to the same mechanics as the smaller pot and the same pressures? Again...well done on the sales!!

Alan Trout
07-01-2011, 6:34 PM
Jim,

This is a casting pot so I don't have to dismantle to much. I have to and one fitting and then I need to do something with the pressure relief valve. I will test it first at the higher pressures in a safe way to see how it does.

Thanks,

Alan