PDA

View Full Version : Using epoxy?

Keith E Byrd
06-30-2011, 10:54 PM
I have read a couple of entries where people said they used epoxy to fill cracks. I have two thin line cracks about 2 in long in a large walnut bowl that I want to try to fix. Can someone give me some tips on what kind of epoxy works best:confused:? Mix with sawdust from bow:confused:l? Cure time:confused:? :confused::confused::confused:
Thanks in advance!:)

Bernie Weishapl
06-30-2011, 11:00 PM
Keith I use 5 minute epoxy and mix in sawdust from the bowl. I always try to save like some cherry dust, walnut, elm, etc for mixing. I also use brass from my friends key cutting jig. I generally let it sit and dry for 2 to 4 hrs depending on drying conditions. Sometimes if I am not in a hurry I will let them sit overnight.

Dick Wilson
06-30-2011, 11:07 PM
Hi Keith, I have used epoxy for this type of fix. I have used Loc-Tite epoxy 5 minute, 60 minute etc. For filling cracks I would suggest 5 minute. What you fill it with is up to you. You can find all kinds of products that you can mix with the epoxy at Hobby Lobby, Michaels, any arts and crafts store. You can also use artist pastel colors ground into powder. You can use coffee grounds, sawdust, etc. With Loc-Tite you just eject the two part epoxy at once, mix it up, add whatever, and fill the crack.

I have also used turquoise using CA glue. Blue color looks great in walnut. I would suggest a fill that is in contrast to the wood. You will never match and accent looks better. Any other questions, let me know Dick

Steve Schlumpf
07-01-2011, 12:14 AM
Keith - depending on the actual size of the cracks - you may be able to just use some thin CA. I have also wet-sanded with the final finish, in my case Wipe-On Poly, and that seals the crack as well as blend it into the rest of the bowl.

Lots of options. Looking forward to seeing the bowl!

Kyle Iwamoto
07-01-2011, 11:56 AM
You can mix artist oil paint into the epoxy. I've also used ultra fine glitter and CA, available from your craft store. NOT the cheapo glitter from the *-mart stores. The ultra fine glitter comes out well, IMO. Mix black/gold/silver it has a "granite" type of look. Pretty cool. As mentioned, it's pretty hard to match a crack. A mentor once said, if you can't hide it, celebrate it.

Oh, I learned the hard way, that artist "oils" come in acrylic, which does NOT mix with epoxy. The oils must be oil based.

Jim Burr
07-01-2011, 3:45 PM
One of my favorite fills is ground espresso crystals. They power into a fine dust for filling of small checks. CA it and your good to go. Don't forget to coat the affected area with your finish of choice...shellac works well too The reason for this is not to allow the CA to discolor the wood around the fix. Vaughn uses Devcon epoxy so that's what I use to. It's cheap, flows great and mixes well. I picked up a jar of espresso powder for a couple bucks and it takes very little. An ancillary benefit is the shop smells really good! There are a lot of great choices around. I love different stones...coral or fuchite, turquoise. I personally only like stone on predetermined spaces, but have used them in natural voids. Make sure to show it off!

Prashun Patel
07-01-2011, 4:26 PM
If the crack is wide, I'd just dye the epoxy with a very small amount of black stain. Whatever you use to color it, use a very small amount. A tiny bit is all that's needed to color it, and adding more than this can weaken the epoxy unnecessarily.

It the crack is thin, then CA is easier and thinner; but harder to dye.

Also, CA tends to (for me) penetrate a little deeper, which can affect the finish; you have to sand a lot.

Dennis Simmons
07-01-2011, 6:14 PM
You can mix artist oil paint into the epoxy. I've also used ultra fine glitter and CA, available from your craft store. NOT the cheapo glitter from the *-mart stores. The ultra fine glitter comes out well, IMO. Mix black/gold/silver it has a "granite" type of look. Pretty cool. As mentioned, it's pretty hard to match a crack. A mentor once said, if you can't hide it, celebrate it.

Oh, I learned the hard way, that artist "oils" come in acrylic, which does NOT mix with epoxy. The oils must be oil based.

What epoxy do you use, I can only find ones that, dry translucent yellow, I want to mix fine metallic powder. To look like gold, I use brass key shavings also, but need a clear glue.

Terry Murphy
07-01-2011, 6:42 PM
Instant coffee and epoxy will surprise you.