PDA

View Full Version : CBN grinder wheel - EXCELLENT!!

John Keeton
06-30-2011, 9:55 PM
Got around to installing my new CBN 180 grit wheel that I bought from Dave Scheitzer (D-Way Tools), and I love it!!! Not only does it run much more true, but the edge it leaves is far superior to what I was getting from the AO wheel that came on the Woodcraft slow speed grinder. The finer edge really shows when the tool is presented to the wood - SMOOOOOOTTTTHHHH cut!!

I replaced the finer grit wheel (100?) and left the other AO on for reshaping tools.

I know Steve got one, and Baxter - perhaps others than I missed seeing. Have you guys tried yours yet?

Roger Chandler
06-30-2011, 9:57 PM
John,

Is this a diamond wheel, or some other material?

Steve Schlumpf
06-30-2011, 10:00 PM
John - installed mine this afternoon and gave it a test. I replaced my worn down 150 grit wheel with the CBN and it ran true when I powered the grinder up! That was nice for a change!! Put a fresh edge on my 5/8" V and not only is the edge better - but I can see what I am doing! One other MAJOR benefit .... no dust! The CBN is expensive when compared to some grinding wheels... but for me, I know it is going to be money well spent! No dust, no balancing, no truing the face... yup! Gonna enjoy this!

For those not familiar with the Cubic Boron Nitrate wheels, here is the website: CBN (http://www.d-waytools.com/tools-diamond-grinding-wheels.html)

John Keeton
06-30-2011, 10:02 PM
Roger, the CBN is specifically for HSS. It is a boron and nitrogen combination (not sure what that means!), but here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFPSWukZtoc) is a link to a video on the wheel. The CBN is more expensive and lasts much longer than the diamond.

Roger Chandler
06-30-2011, 10:03 PM
Roger, the CBN is specifically for HSS. It is a boron and nitrogen combination (not sure what that means!), but here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFPSWukZtoc) is a link to a video on the wheel. The CBN is more expensive and lasts much longer than the diamond.

Thanks John...........I will check it out!

Nate Davey
06-30-2011, 10:20 PM
That seals it, I'm getting one.

David E Keller
06-30-2011, 10:31 PM
Count me in too! I've been eyeballing these for a while.

Jeff Nicol
06-30-2011, 10:40 PM
I looked at them but just could not drop the cash at the symposium. I have a small one that I use for some things but it is only about 1" around. I got it at a junk store, that has all kinds of stuff it was meant to mount on some sor of machine that was set up to sharpen something in a mass production setting. They have some that are like 10" around and 2" wide, but they want about $300 for one. I will have to look around some more.

More stuff to buy every day,

Jeff

Baxter Smith
06-30-2011, 10:40 PM
[QUOTE=John Keeton;1732676]Got around to installing my new CBN 180 grit wheel that I bought from Dave Scheitzer (D-Way Tools), and I love it!!! Not only does it run much more true, but the edge it leaves is far superior to what I was getting from the AO wheel that came on the Woodcraft slow speed grinder. The finer edge really shows when the tool is presented to the wood - SMOOOOOOTTTTHHHH cut!!
IQUOTE]

Almost wish I hadn't read this!;):) I looked at them John, but couldn't bring myself to spend that amount on a wheel after recently picking up the Don Geiger truing solution(which has worked very well on smoothing out the woodcraft grinder). Next time I need a wheel though......

Alan Trout
06-30-2011, 10:59 PM
CBN wheels are really neat. One of these days I will get one. Anything that makes you turning more enjoyable is worth it.

Alan

Scott Hackler
06-30-2011, 11:36 PM
lalalalalalalala .......can't hear you! I am trying real hard to NOT regret buying one and you guys AREN'T helping!!

Reed Gray
07-01-2011, 12:59 AM
I will be getting a set of them as well. I have been using another type for over 5 years, and they are well worth it. You will save on not having to buy more grinding wheels, not having to balance them, and not having to true up your wheels. This is what most of us will be switching to.

The only other consideration would be Stuart Batty's sharpening station. Belt sander, wheel on one end, flat belt on the other, reversible motor, and the platform rotates for horizontal sanding/grinding. Expensive, but a very well thought out machine. The 2 wheel model goes for about $1800. For a professional grade knife grinder, that is a good price. I might have to get one of them in the future as well.

Just when I thought my tool lust had been close to satisfied........

robo hippy

robo hippy

Jon Lanier
07-01-2011, 1:40 AM
Thanks alot. I get to see more tools/toys I can't afford. When is some stranger going to come up to me and say here is a few million bucks? Spend it all on tools. LOL

Seriously, I think those are great and a very welcomed addition to the turning world.

Toney Robertson
07-01-2011, 6:02 AM

Seems strange that CBN would last longer than diamonds. Aren't diamonds the hardest substance known to man?

Anyway I am sure they are a nice to use.

Jim Heikes
07-01-2011, 7:25 AM
My friends..............just a little information about CBN

http://ezinearticles.com/?A-CBN-Grinding-Wheel-Dissected&id=3895511

Jimmy

David E Keller
07-01-2011, 11:16 AM
Seems strange that CBN would last longer than diamonds. Aren't diamonds the hardest substance known to man?

As I understand it, diamond wheels are bad about getting gummed up with steel, so they don't work well for sharpening HSS. The CBN wheels don't react with the metal and stay clean and usable much longer.

Michael Ginsberg
07-01-2011, 11:44 AM
Toney,
Yes diamonds are the hardest.. but hardness means resistance to scratching. You cannot scrath a diamond except with another diamond. Diamonds due chip relatively easy-particularly on the edges.

A question to those of you who bought the wheel.. Did you buy the 180 grit to satisfy all your needs and avoid getting the 80 as well? I plan on getting one, but both is costly.
Thanks.

Gary Conklin
07-01-2011, 11:50 AM

When the diamonds mix with the carbon from the steel the erode much quicker. One of the rags just did an extensive write up on the subject.

Tim Rinehart
07-01-2011, 11:51 AM
What an evil thread...just when I too have been quite content using a Geiger dresser and not having any real issues with my white slow speed wheel...someone (you know who you are) has to go and say....hey, look, this works even better!! And now, I have to go look at DS's site again and contemplate what other goodies should be rationalized in the name of economic shipping.
Just a terrible thing to do to us....just terrible.
Ok, thanks for the review....hmmmph.

Reed Gray
07-01-2011, 12:07 PM
The guys here in town that made mine said most of the CBN grinding things they make are for things like molder blade profiles. Very little wear, so they can grind the pieces a number of times. I will be getting both wheels. I need a finer one for gouges and skews (yes, I do use a skew some times), and the 80 grit wheel for minor shaping, and scrapers. The CBN wheels leave an excellent heavy duty burr on your scraper. Perfect for heavy stock removal, and almost as good as a burnished burr, and far better than the burr from conventional wheels.

Like I said, I thought I had most of my tool lust satisfied, then along came......

When will it ever end? In the grave my boy, in the grave.... (Mr. Natural to Flakey Foont) Looks like I have a long way to go till my birth certificate expires......

robo hippy

John Keeton
07-01-2011, 2:31 PM
A question to those of you who bought the wheel.. Did you buy the 180 grit to satisfy all your needs and avoid getting the 80 as well? I plan on getting one, but both is costly.
Thanks.Michael, I have most of my tools where I want them as far as profile, so the 180 grit was my choice for the best cutting edge off the grinder. I will use the 60 grit AO wheel for any reshaping of profiles and other grinding tasks in the shop. It is what I use on my hollowing tips, anyway, simply because that is the side on which I have my platform - my gouge grinding setup is on the other side with the CBN.

I will say this - the CBN is an aggressive wheel, even the 180. It will remove metal much quicker than the 100 grit AO. A light touch is required. Minimal Heat!! You can freshen the edge and lay your hand on it. I could not do that with the AO wheel, regardless of how lightly I did it. It was still too hot to touch.

Michael Ginsberg
07-01-2011, 3:19 PM
Thank you John, It seems to be the 180 is the way to go.

Nate Davey
07-01-2011, 4:19 PM
Just ordered mine

Jim Burr
07-01-2011, 5:43 PM
I traded up from my 120 grit wheel to my Griz wet sharpener. After Vaughn sharpened all my gouges on his Tormek from my 120 8"...the difference in finish cutting was night and day:D:cool:. There were no more "grit grooves"...just a nice polish to the point that sanding starts at 240-320. I really think at that point it's user skill since the tool has done it's part...I still sand a lot:o;):rolleyes:

Dave Schweitzer
07-01-2011, 11:11 PM
John,
Well, I am finally home, long drive.
Was great to meet you and Steve and share a few stories.
They do make sharpening a lot more fun. When I first started using them I had to sharpen everything I coul get my hands of.
Dave.

Dave Schweitzer
07-01-2011, 11:19 PM
David,
Diamonds are carbon based, CBN is Boron and Nitrogen combo man made. The diamond break down from the heat they are usually used with coolant. Both can be used to grind Carbide also
Dave.

Jon Prouty
07-02-2011, 9:16 AM
Another thing to add to the vortex list... Thanks for the review!

Jon