PDA

View Full Version : Shop Stereo cabinet

Kelly C. Hanna
02-14-2005, 7:44 AM
I finally got some time to do a project for the shop...not enough time to finish the workbench, but enough to build, stain and poly the new stereo cabinet.

http://www.hannawoodworks.com/ShopStereo.html

http://www.hannawoodworks.com/Stereocabinet2.jpg

Doug Shepard
02-14-2005, 8:01 AM
..not enough time to finish the workbench, but enough to build, stain and poly the new stereo cabinet.
Well at least you've got your priorities in order. Now you'll have some tunes while you complete your workbench. Nice work. Looks like that rig might put out enough power to drown out your power tools too.

Jeff Sudmeier
02-14-2005, 8:53 AM
That is looking great! I have been watching the classifieds and the garage sales for an older stereo... My boombox is on it's last leg! :)

Kelly C. Hanna
02-14-2005, 8:56 AM
Thanks guys...I get most of my stereo equipment from ebay...I got the turntable for $25 at a garage sale. The receiver is a 500 watt surround sound...got it for $50!

Jim Becker
02-14-2005, 9:48 AM
Nice job, Kelly!

Hmm....haven't seen a turntable in a long time!! Mine has been in a box for about five years now as I never got around to unpacking it when we moved here in late 1999.

Jeff, used gear is certainly worth looking for, but not always in the classifieds. Check out FreeCycle. I literally gave away a Harmon Kardon 430 receiver (it needed a little minor work and I had it since college). The Sherwood receiver I use in the shop was only $99 from Circuit City, however...prices are dirt cheap these days...and I used some small, aluminum speakers I've had around "forever".

John Bailey
02-14-2005, 10:35 AM
I love it. Being a former musician in another life, I couldn't be in a shop without a stereo. Boomboxes just don't make it. Do you have the unit enclosed to keep the dust out?

John

Christopher Stahl
02-14-2005, 1:13 PM
Kelly, looks great! Hey what's that funny looking round table on the bottom?? ;)
Hehehe

chris

Byron Trantham
02-14-2005, 1:44 PM
I have a turn table and use it quite a bit. I record my LPs (that's Long Play for you kids!) to MP3s and store the results on a "juke box" - one of my older PCs. We can stream the music anywhere we want. :D

Dave Richards
02-14-2005, 2:08 PM
Turntable? Is that some kind of woodworking tool? What's it doing in a stereo cabinet? :D :D

j/k

I am old enough to remember turntables.

Very nice cabinet you've got there. Good idea.

Frank Pellow
02-14-2005, 2:21 PM
Nice little project Kelly! A similar cabinet is on my work list but I have not yet quite figured out which of my old stereo componets to use or exactly where to put the thing in the shop.

On the other hand, I might forget the whole idea and get one of these: http://www.boschtools.com/tools/tools-detail.htm?H=175970&G=54934&I=54975

I would be interested in hearing a recommendation (or not) from anyone who has experience with the depicted Bosch unit.

Kelly C. Hanna
02-14-2005, 5:51 PM
Jim...if you ever decide to let go of that turntable, let me know, I might have a buyer for you.

John...I do have the front of the receiver blocked off with plexiglas....it helps keep the dust out of the unit. All the other three have their own 'dust covers'. I blow out the receiver every once in a while.

Kelly C. Hanna
02-14-2005, 5:52 PM
Christopher....it's the original spinny thang!! See ya put the stock on the table, turn it on and...oh, sorry, that was a potter's wheel...I get 'em mixed up....:eek:

Joe Scarfo
02-14-2005, 6:22 PM
I don't know if I could be patient enough to have a turn table in the shop. it would be a pain to flip records every 15 minutes or so.... then again.. it forces you to take a short break.

At least CD's can be put onto repeat play.

Thanks
Joe in Tampa

Dave Malen
02-14-2005, 8:12 PM
Hey Kelly,
That's no potter's wheel. Thats a platter to cut your pizza on
:D .
Dave

Andrew Alexander
02-14-2005, 8:44 PM
Kelly,

Love what you have done with the turntable drawer...most excellent...for all those that want to put together a sound system for your shop or home..a great source for vintage 70's solid state stereo equipment are goodwill, salvation army or thrift stores...one can easily put together a very nice sounding system for under $100...so the next time ya go rummaging for tools meander over to the electronics section and start hunting for some more gloats. By the way there are some serious aurguments do be debated over the better sound reproduction of lp's versus cd's...love my old lp's

Christopher Stahl
02-14-2005, 9:42 PM
If that's a pizza warmer, I'll be over. :)

chris

Norman Hitt
02-15-2005, 3:53 AM
Very nice setup, Kelly. I still have a Fisher Amp I put together for my wife as a time killer when I was off duty from the AF electronics machines I ran while out on Shemya, in '62/'63, and a Gerard turntable with a Pickering cartridge, and two thin VM speakers that we packed away when one of our daughters bought a high end stereo system, and have never gotten it back out. I was always going to get a tuner, but we had a lot of LP's and I just never got around to it. I may have to get it out and see if they still make the matched set output tubes, (which I doubt), and if so it would be nice in my shop, as it's sound was almost equal to the daughters high dollar system with the Bose Speakers. It even has a built in meter and adjustment pots for aligning & balancing each section of the two ckts in the unit, when necessary, due to internal component deterioration.

Kelly C. Hanna
02-15-2005, 7:59 AM
Yessir....CD's are digital....digital recordings 'clip' out the highest treble and lowest bass notes. This is the main reason for the popularity of the subwoofer today. Those of us who grew up on LP's versus CD's realize and hear the difference. Yeah, you get a few pops and crackles now and then, but I grew up hearinbg 'em and it's no big deal.

I don't always get to the record to flip it....I got an auto shut off model for that reason so the table stops turning (unlike my DJ table in the living room).