PDA

View Full Version : painted acrylic sign

Mike Null
06-30-2011, 3:53 PM
Here is a 6" x 10" sign of clear cast acrylic, painted with red acrylic, reverse engraved, brushed 3 coats of yellow and sprayed with two coats of acrylic aluminum.

New restaurant in town with courtyard garden. Also did 30 small black and white signs for them.

Larry Bratton
06-30-2011, 4:11 PM
Show off ! Looks great :)

Anthony Scira
06-30-2011, 4:11 PM
GREAT work Mike ! Thanks for the breakdown, may have to make something up since I have a customer interested in some signs. Even though I think I will end up sand carving wood for him, hopefully I can interest him in something that does not involve buying new equipment. (Although I am never against expanding my humble shop)

Ron Hartl
06-30-2011, 4:13 PM
Looks nice, good job!

Frank Corker
06-30-2011, 4:17 PM
Nice use of colour, looks very vibrant good job.

Martin Boekers
06-30-2011, 4:33 PM
Nice Mike, I'll bet it really stands out. How does that silver look? I haven't tried it yet.
I've been wantint to try the reverse paint with the "stone effect" paint.

Marty

Steven Wallace
06-30-2011, 4:35 PM
Nice job Obiwan! The force is with you!

Mike Null
06-30-2011, 4:39 PM
Thanks for the kind words. The sign looked better than the picture. (I seem to have that problem)

The aluminum worked great but the picture shows it as white. You can actually see some small metallic effect rather than just a gray look. I would have preferred another color but was constrained by the designer's specs.

I covered the back with white vinyl just as a precaution.

Martin Boekers
06-30-2011, 4:41 PM
Good idea, covering the back with white vinyl. I'll stash that thought away!

Rodne Gold
06-30-2011, 5:18 PM
Looks great mike , reverse engraved clear always looks classy. the vinyl backing is a great idea.

Keith Outten
07-01-2011, 5:55 AM
Mike,

Nice job on the acrylic sign. I couldn't visualize the silver where the white is on your sign but the white letters in the picture look great. Acrylic is indeed a very versatile material.

Thanks for the tip about using a vinyl backing to protect the paint, I will also stash that little tidbit away.