PDA

View Full Version : did i get cast or extruded acrylic

Troy Shaffer
06-30-2011, 12:34 PM
I got a sheet of acrylic, I ask for cast. But its got blue plastic sheild instead of paper. Somebody told me that its probley exdruded and it smells worse than cast when cut. And this stuff is rank. I need to seal up my exaust system better. But if cast dosnt smell a lot less I don't wanna waste more money gettin it. I'm a hobbist with neighbors and don't wanna bug them. What's your opinion of cuttin cast in this situation.

Dan Hintz
06-30-2011, 12:48 PM
If it smells sweet when you are engraving and the engraving itself is frosted, you have cast. If it smells very acrid and engraves relatively clear, it's extruded.

Rodne Gold
06-30-2011, 1:15 PM
Burn a small piece, cast will burn with a crackle and wont drip molten flaming balls ,extruded will burn silently and will drip flaming balls

Troy Shaffer
06-30-2011, 1:29 PM
Ok I did the burn test. No crackle, dripings burned for about two feet while droping. Sounds like they ripped me off. Do you think I can get away with cutting cast in a residintal area. Or will it smell to bad.

Mike Null
06-30-2011, 2:02 PM
I doubt that anybody will notice. It's not that bad.

Larry Bratton
06-30-2011, 4:17 PM
Ok I did the burn test. No crackle, dripings burned for about two feet while droping. Sounds like they ripped me off. Do you think I can get away with cutting cast in a residintal area. Or will it smell to bad.

Is there a brand name on it? Cast is a good bit more cost, if you paid for cast, I think I would get the distributor to document what he sent you. A reputable distributor will take care of you.

Frank Corker
06-30-2011, 4:19 PM
Cast acrylic snaps when folded, extruded is much more robust and will bend quite a lot before it breaks. Also if you hit it with something sharp it will leave a white dot, extruded will leave nothing.

Rodne Gold
06-30-2011, 4:35 PM
Oddly enough , the Cast acrylic I have imported from China is cheaper than extruded from there. Local suppliers here charge 10% less for extruded.

Martin Boekers
06-30-2011, 4:44 PM
Rodne, after looking at your photo.. Hmmmmm... your starting to look a little Chinese!:D

Rodne Gold
06-30-2011, 5:16 PM
I'm changing my name to Lodney and my wife's to Luth :)
Seriously tho , I have started mandarin lessons and maybe plan to move there in 3-5 yrs. I recon things will get bad in my country in 10 years time , politically. We have a cross between idi amin ,robert mugabe and hitler who will be our president soon , we live in Africa , seen this all before.....

Andrea Weissenseel
07-01-2011, 3:36 AM
:*lol* sounds like a winner Lodney :D

@Troy - did you try to engrave it and was it frosted ?

Here in Germany cast is about 30% more than extruded.

Martin Reynolds
07-02-2011, 1:29 PM
Fumes from both cast and acrylic are quite smelly. The good news is that they dissipate fast. The cut edges also smell, so bagging or boxing them can help.

If your neighbors smell it, they won't like it. So you'll have to do sniff checks. Worst case, you cut when it is raining (which eliminates the fumes), or when it is cold or hot such that windows are closed.