PDA

View Full Version : African Blackwood HF w/Holly Finial...a penny for your thoughts.

Tim Rinehart
06-30-2011, 11:27 AM
I was inspired by the likes of Jim Syvertsen (Australian Burls dealer) who likes to challenge himself by taking scraps and doing something with them. If you haven't seen some shots of him using a razor for fine work, take a look at his site.

I had a couple little cutoffs of blackwood from doing a razor stand, and decide to glue one of them (about 5/8" sq x 1 3/8" long) onto a waste block and see what I could do.
I turned it down to about 5/8" diam, drilled it out using a 5/32" drill to about 1" depth, then made a little hook scraper from an old allen wrench for hollowing, shoved into a piece of 1/2" wood dowel...but you can make your tools out of pretty much any old drills too if going straight in.

Anyway...you get the idea and it is hollowed, though perhaps not to standards of bigger stuff. Hey, NO ONE is going to stick their fingers in this one!!
The overall height of form is about 1 1/4"...not going to win any awards for smallest HFs, but it's good practice on defining contours for finials and other spindle work. I mainly used my skew, but also used a small gouge for the base cove.

The finial is holly and the thinnest part at top is under 1mm diameter. :eek: I had to turn it down to about 1/16" then soak with thin CA to stabilize in order to even put sandpaper to it without disentegrating. The entire finial was finished with BLO/CA like a pen would be...albeit very carefully. I did the finial using nothing but a small gouge (1/4") that came with my Delta lathe. I put a fingernail grind on it...works pretty good for small details, but you have to make sure the overhand on tool rest stays pretty tight. I have another smaller one (1/8" or so) that came in same set from Delta...but haven't really tried to grind or use it yet. Seems very flimsy..but we'll see...it may have use in doing some really fine work if I can get a good grind on it.

I just did a single BLO/CA coat on the blackwood portion.

Anyway...don't throw away those scraps...there's life in em!

John Keeton
06-30-2011, 12:28 PM
Tim, this is impressive! I spent a good bit of time looking over Jim's work while at AAW - unbelievable detail!! I would say you are well on your way!

Steve Schlumpf
06-30-2011, 12:46 PM
Nice work Tim! Spent some time with John - checking out Jim's work and the man turns some amazing finials!

In this photo of Jim's work, John is holding up a quarter to give some size reference!

Tim Rinehart
06-30-2011, 1:46 PM
Jim is very good with his fine details, no doubt about that. I suspect I missed my best opportunity, eye-wise, about 10 years ago! Still have a fairly steady hand, but doesn't do one much good if focus is an issue.
Thanks for the comments, and glad to see Jim brought along some of that work to showcase his wood and his work. I think I'll have a chance to see some of his work and his wood later this year in November, at the NC Symposium. Perhaps I'll take a suitase, ala JK style!

Scott Hackler
06-30-2011, 2:17 PM
Spent some time and MONEY with Jim Syvertsen, in St Paul. His little hollow forms are really cool and the finials will give you a new perspective on the word THIN. They were unbelievable.

Tim, your little HF is cool. I am planning on some minitures after seeing so many little ones displayed in St Paul.

John Keeton
06-30-2011, 2:58 PM
Perhaps I'll take a suitase, ala JK style!Dangerous, Tim - dangerous!!:eek: If you do that, leave the plastic at home. Take only the cash you are willing to spend! Listen to the voice of experience!!!:o;)

David E Keller
06-30-2011, 5:24 PM
I like it, Tim! I love turning minis, and I haven't seen any better than Jim's. His finial details are absolutely amazing given the scale of some of his work... For me, the hardest part is getting crisp detail without getting broken finials! I've got miles to go...

The wood suitcase is a great idea, and I think I might be taking one to Waco!

Roger Chandler
06-30-2011, 7:05 PM
Nice,nice, nice............did I mention that is nice? ;)

Tim Thiebaut
06-30-2011, 7:46 PM
Nice work Tim! Spent some time with John - checking out Jim's work and the man turns some amazing finials!

In this photo of Jim's work, John is holding up a quarter to give some size reference!
Wow I cant believe how tiny those are! That is amazing

Scott Hackler
06-30-2011, 8:28 PM
You should see em up close! He showed me a finial that he had done recently (I assume for the Symposium) that he had rolled up in some bubble wrap. It was as if he made it out of a toothpick! The whole finial was only an inch long and had the same proportions as the ones in that picture!

Baxter Smith
06-30-2011, 10:51 PM
Nice job Tim. I do very few but they are kind of fun!

Tim Thiebaut
07-01-2011, 2:57 PM

Does anyone know what kind of burl the shelf in this photo is? Thanks for any info, Tim

Jim Burr
07-01-2011, 5:17 PM
Ha!!! That is amazing!! I had thought of saying the base could be cut until I saw the size! Some great tool control there sir!!

David E Keller
07-01-2011, 5:42 PM
Does anyone know what kind of burl the shelf in this photo is? Thanks for any info, Tim

Can't tell from the photo, but based on what I can see, it could be any number of different burls. I'll bet you could shoot Jim an email through his website, and he'd tell you. Most of the mallee burls I've seen have looked like that on the surface.

Tim Thiebaut
07-01-2011, 7:06 PM
Can't tell from the photo, but based on what I can see, it could be any number of different burls. I'll bet you could shoot Jim an email through his website, and he'd tell you. Most of the mallee burls I've seen have looked like that on the surface.

Good idea David thank you!