PDA

View Full Version : Information on Vintage Record 52 1/2 D Woodworkers Vise

Stephen L. Curtis
06-30-2011, 9:24 AM
I purchased several items at an estate sale, all for one price. When I got home I found a "Made in England" Record 52 1/2 Woodworkers vise. It's all there and in good condition. I've done some research to realize it is a quality piece. I don't need it and would like to sell it at a fair price to someone who can use and appreciate it. Can someone tell me its value and the best way to advertise the vise? Thanks!

John Lanciani
06-30-2011, 11:12 AM
I think that the easiest way co come up with a current market value would be to look a completed sales on the big auction site. Throw out the highest and lowest prices and average the rest of the ones in similar condition. I also think that you'll be pleasantly surprised at what people are paying for what you have, it is one of the better metal vises. As for selling, my personal favorite is right here in the classifieds. The tough part for you will be shipping; make sure that you insure it, because no matter how well you pack it there is always the risk in shipping something small and heavy that it could get dropped hard and damaged.

Stephen L. Curtis
06-30-2011, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the help, John. By "big auction site" do you mean the one that starts with an "e" and ends with a "bay?"

Sean Hughto
06-30-2011, 11:34 AM
New, a decade ago, it would have cost around $125. They are nice vises, and there is a good market for them. Being out-of production, I would guesstimate that someone would pay you $250 to $300. Practically speaking, clones are available today that are likely equal in quality and capable in use, but some folks like to have the brand name and the cache that goes with the nice vintage piece.

Stephen L. Curtis
06-30-2011, 12:05 PM
How do you tell the difference between the original and the clone?

Charles Wiggins
06-30-2011, 12:20 PM
I just bought one about a month ago for $100, but that was between fellow NCWW members. Assuming the paint on yours is original and everything works smoothly I would say that yours in is slightly better condition than mine. However, mine does operate very smoothly and that's what's most important to anyone buying it for use. I found one completed listing on eBay that sold for $128. From the photo the condition looks very much like the one I just bought.

Hope this helps.

Charles Wiggins
06-30-2011, 12:24 PM
How do you tell the difference between the original and the clone?

The clones look like the Record, and some may even say "Record", but they won't say "Make in England."
An company in India called Anant bought the record molds and are thus producing clones, but they are NOT the same quality. There are other quality quick release vises, but from everything I've read none of the clones come close to the quality of an original Record.

Stephen L. Curtis
06-30-2011, 12:28 PM
That helps. Do you know the difference between the "D" and the "ED"?

Charles Wiggins
06-30-2011, 12:39 PM
Oops! I missed that detail. Mine and the one on eBay were both EDs. I don't know the difference off the top of my head. Maybe someone else will. Might effect the values significantly.

John Lanciani
06-30-2011, 2:51 PM
I believe that "D" is for the pop up dog, I thought that the "E" designated the quick-release but I could be wrong if the OP's is labelled as a "52 1/2D" since it has the QR. And yes, Stephen, that is the site I meant.

I also have a 52 1/2ED that needs to go, I just haven't completely convinced myself to part with it yet. I figure that as soon as it's gone I'll want to build a new bench or something...

Sean Hughto
06-30-2011, 3:08 PM
:rolleyes:Well if you "read" it ...:rolleyes:

I've had a 52 1/2 for over 15 years. When I upgraded my bench several years back, I moved my Record to the new bench. I hadn't disassembled the old bench and later decided to keep it for use in another part of my basement, and wanted to have a vise on it, but the Record supply was gone by then. I bought an Anant 52 1/2 from Highland. It fit exactly where the Record had been and has performed admirably in regular use since then. In fact, there are times I think it is smoother in operation, but that may just be because it's not as old as my Record.

My current bench with the Record attached is below fwiw.

Stephen L. Curtis
06-30-2011, 6:31 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/misc/pencil.png

Larry Edgerton
07-01-2011, 6:06 AM
I have a pair of them on one bench, have been grat for many years. I was not aware that they were no longer in production. I paid $125 apiece on a special that gave you a nice, heavy Record long reach clamp with each vice. The thing is I never saw these clamps for sale, and thats what I would like to find a few more of.

Larry

Chris Fournier
07-01-2011, 9:59 AM
I helped a friend install a Record "clone" from Lee Valley on his bench and we both thought that it was very poor quality compared to my now unavailable Record. Very sloppy tolerances and lousy action. Personally I would have sent it back but the options out there for a good vise of this style are limited now that Record is gone. What a shame.

I'd pay more for a good condition Record than I would for a new clone. I doubt that your Record is worth much more than $150.00 but you may do better...

Stephen L. Curtis
07-01-2011, 11:27 AM
$150.00 sounds a bit on the low side- judging from its good condition. But I'd probably let it go for that amount rather than going through the hassle of auction.