PDA

View Full Version : Finally took pics of AAW haul!

Jeff Nicol
06-30-2011, 8:36 AM
Good morning creekers!!!!

I have been running around like a chicken with my head cut off since returning home from Saint Paul. We had some bad news while I was gone, we lost our next door neihbor to liver cancer and one of my honrary son's cousin was killed in a tragic boating accident. So all of that has kept me busy but sad.

We did get some good news though, our second grandchild was born Tuesday at 5:45 p.m. out in Mountain Home Idaho, 7lbs 2oz and 20 1/2" long with lots of blond hair! We are leaving Saturday morning for the 1500 mile trip to visit for a week and can't wait to get going! So if there are any creeker in the Mountain Home area let me know, maybe we can meet up!

Here are a couple pictures of my AAW purchases and a bunch of Osage Orange that Scott Hackler was so kind to haul up from Kansas for me! I bought another Stronghold body, a Packard detail gouge, a Jimmy Clewes signature gouge from DT, and a shallow heavy detail gouge as well. With a few big leaf maple blanks and a couple Australian burls and a Steb type drive center I was tapped out!

I hate to finish on a sad note, but we got a call last night that my wife's Aunt Judy was diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer and it does not look good, she is 66. This adds to the fact that her oldest sister is in a nursing home with emphysema and is just holding on. I am ready for a long lengthy run of good news, but as we get older so do our parents and aunts and uncles.

Done rambling so I will wish everyone a wonderful Independence day weekend, God bless America,

Jeff

charlie knighton
06-30-2011, 9:38 AM
your family and neighbors are in our thourghts, Jeff

nice haul of goodies

Don Orr
06-30-2011, 9:44 AM
Sorry to hear about all the bad news Jeff, but at least you had some fun at the Symposium. Congrats on the new addition and be safe on the trip.

I'll keep a good thought for you and your family and friends.

Doug W Swanson
06-30-2011, 10:00 AM
Wow, Jeff. The bad new keeps on coming for your family. I'll be praying for you....

That looks like a good haul. You've got some nice chunks of wood there....

Roger Chandler
06-30-2011, 10:07 AM
the cycle of life is showing in the circle of family and friends you have..........Prayers certainly are in order for those dealing with illness.........most happy to pray for them.

Nice haul of wood, and nice tools...........I might have to try one of those Stronghold chucks........I have 3 Novas, but maybe one more can't hurt someday.

Congratulations on the new grandchild...........I hope you have a ball visiting them, and make sure to get some pics of proud grandpa and baby!

Trevor Howard
06-30-2011, 10:15 AM
As one who is having the same run of bad luck Jeff, my thoughts are with you and your family.

Enjoy your trip visiting family, and we look forward to see what you make out of your haul.

Tim Rinehart
06-30-2011, 10:16 AM
Hey Jeff...deepest sympathies for friends and family on the loss of loved ones. Yes, it is too frequent and always too soon.

Thanks for sharing the loot you got. Good move getting a Jimmy Clewes gouge from Doug...you're likely gonna use the heck out of it on that aussie burl. I've only turned the aussie burl one time, but will be picking some up this year at the NC symposium.

Take care of yourself during the holidays...:)

Faust M. Ruggiero
06-30-2011, 10:31 AM
Bad news always seem to come in threes. Hopefully, your run of bad is behind you for a while. Now the big problem. How are you going to see that new baby enough? When my grandson was born my daughter sent a picture every day. My iphone would beep to indicate a new message and I knew today's dose of happiness was waiting for me to view. Even now with them living 20 minutes away, she still sends pictures most days. It's not as good as holding him but it helps.
faust

Baxter Smith
06-30-2011, 10:38 AM
Sorry to hear about all the downs of life. Glad you have some ups to celebrate as well. Have a great trip! Looks like you have some nice toys to come home too!

Dane Fuller
06-30-2011, 11:10 AM
Jeff, I'm sorry about all the bad news. I've said a prayer for you and your family. I don't know much about the tools or the wood other than those burls have me drooling. I do know a little about grandsons. Mine is perfect...;)

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/asset.php?fid=194840&uid=76139&d=1309446388

Steve Schlumpf
06-30-2011, 12:06 PM
Jeff - very sorry to hear of your losses but extremely happy to hear of your new grandchild! Have a great trip!

Congrats on your haul from St. Paul! Not sure where you can stash any more wood... but sure looks like you picked up some nice stuff!

Always fun when we get together! Hopefully we can do that again real soon! Safe travels!

Jeff Nicol
06-30-2011, 12:24 PM
Thank you so much everyone, it seems the good Lord is testing us to see how much we can handle so far so good. The circle of life is full of ups and downs, sorrow and joy. I guess that is why I live it to the fullest every day, and being blessed with SMC to vent and let out some of the frustrations is so very helpful. It sure is nice knowing we are all sending prayers out for all who are dealing with sadness and unfortunate issues. With the birthday of our nation in a few days our prayers will be for those fighting around the world to maintain our freedoms. Thank you again and I will be on my knees a little longer tonight.

1500 miles to many, many smiles :D:D:D:D!!!!

Jeff

John Keeton
06-30-2011, 12:32 PM
Jeff, life is a roller coaster, and you have really had some ups and downs recently. I will keep you in my prayers. I know you have been through a lot, just in the last couple of weeks.

I think I am beginning to understand this wood thing - I leave your house with a load, you go buy a load from another guy wanting to unload wood, he acquires more, etc., etc. Instead of the "circle of life", it seems to be the "circle of the vortex!!"

Michael James
06-30-2011, 1:01 PM
Our best to you and yours. Circle of life.... some of us are at the "changing of the guard".
Carry on amigo,
mj

mickey cassiba
06-30-2011, 1:03 PM
Jeff, I hate to hear such news, especially so soon after. You and the whole bunch have our prayers and support.

Scott Hackler
06-30-2011, 2:27 PM
Jeff, I believe you have had all the sorrow you can handle for years to come. I hope things calm down a bunch, my friend. You need an emotional break from all the sadness. Hold that grandbaby and hopefully the happiness will help heal your heart. Have a safe trip.

Rick Markham
06-30-2011, 4:45 PM
Jeff my family and I have been keeping you in our prayers since we chatted earlier this week, I guess I will send you some extra ones as well. Sorry to hear about more bad news. You've got a pretty amazing attitude and it is certainly an inspiration to me. Sounds like you need to put that stronghold on the lathe and give yourself some therapeutic turning time when you get a chance. I grew up in Kansas, and wished I had turned then, Osage Orange is EVERYWHERE, and is great stuff to turn! That's awesome that Scott brought you some humongous hunks. What kind of aussie burls did you get? Looks like you have a great haul of goodies there, I hope you get a much needed break soon, and get to let some curlies fly. CONGRATULATIONS on a second grandchild! Sounds like it won't be long before you will have a new, eager student to teach this art too. Just don't lose him in the shop :D

David E Keller
06-30-2011, 5:12 PM
Sorry to hear about the troubles with friends and family! I hope the joy of the newest addition to the family will provide some comfort and reassurance... I think it will.

Looks like you made out like a bandit at the symposium and with Scott's generosity... Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Safe travels!