PDA

View Full Version : Laser for hollowing rig - what kind?

Ed Morgano
06-30-2011, 8:14 AM
Hi,
I'm thinking about hooking up a laser to my hollowing rig. I've seen the flash light type lasers cheap.....is that what you guys have or are they 110V operated. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Steve Schlumpf
06-30-2011, 8:29 AM
Ed - I am sure there are a multitude of lasers available but I have been extremely happy with the one that came with my Monster system. Randy does sell them separately and is worth considering. Very stable and runs on 2 AAA batteries. Laser
(http://monster-lathe-tools.com/cart.php?target=product&product_id=292&category_id=67)

Steve Harder
06-30-2011, 9:00 AM
I built my own elbo style hollowing rig, so I built my own laser pointer holder.

Search "high brightness 5mw 650nm red laser module" on ebay -it's $3.99 including shipping. Lightweight, so doesn't bounce around on the end of a long tube - dot can be focused. You power it with a cheap 110V dc powersupply from radioshack -- or if you know someone who collects wallwart power supplies just find one in the 6v range.

I mounted insert in a small block of lightweight wood, used other small wood blocks for joints. Used 1/2" alum tube from Lowes.

philip labre
06-30-2011, 11:24 AM
I bought a laser module and battery box with switch for 10 bucks. I'm on my phone and can't remember where I got them. If nobody points you in that direction I'll find it when I get home and post.

Tim Rinehart
06-30-2011, 11:43 AM
Ed,
One option is to make a setup similar to what I did above. I like it and wouldn't change a thing about it. You can get the laser diode and battery box to use 2 AA batteries from Digi-Key for under $10.

Laser-
file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Tim/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtml1/01/clip_image002.gif

P/N : VLM-650-03-LPT-ND (~$ 9.00)

Battery Holder with Switch-
P/N : SBH-321AS-ND (< $ 1.00)

Michael Ginsberg
06-30-2011, 11:59 AM
Not cheap... BUT, Monster Lathe tool is the best. I have it on my Monster Articulated Arm Hollower. Randy can make an adapter to fit most hollowers. He made one for my Jamieson Rig and Kelton coring system.

Michael

Ed Morgano
06-30-2011, 12:06 PM
Ed,
One option is to make a setup similar to what I did above. I like it and wouldn't change a thing about it. You can get the laser diode and battery box to use 2 AA batteries from Digi-Key for under $10.

Laser-
file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Tim/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtml1/01/clip_image002.gif

P/N : VLM-650-03-LPT-ND (~$ 9.00)

Battery Holder with Switch-
P/N : SBH-321AS-ND (< $ 1.00)

Tim,
Thanks for the information.....order is on it's way :-)

To everyone else, thanks for your input.

Reed Gray
06-30-2011, 1:35 PM
One of the things I noticed at the AAW Symposium was that all of the laser systems for the hollowing rigs look like what Randy has, battery pack on the back, and small light on the end. Almost no one uses the pen type lasers any more.

robo hippy

Tim Rinehart
06-30-2011, 1:42 PM
One of the things I noticed at the AAW Symposium was that all of the laser systems for the hollowing rigs look like what Randy has, battery pack on the back, and small light on the end. Almost no one uses the pen type lasers any more.

robo hippy
Reed, Part of reason why I discarded an initial pen type laser was the expensive batteries it took, (was some little watch type batteries) and the extra weight on the end of the parallel rod. Using the little laser diode modules, you can pretty much set up a featherlite rig (not like mine) if you want to.

Edward Bartimmo
06-30-2011, 5:40 PM
I think that the Jamieson hollowing system is really the only one still using the laser pen light. Having both the Jamieson and Monster systems I can tell you that there is a world of difference in the Monster. THe construction is much sturdier and tighter...the laser doesn't shift or migrate while turning. Also, the laser on the Monster is a tighter focused light so if you want super thin walls it is the one to go with.

IF you aren't planning on buying the Monster laser, then you are probably better off just building your own. My two cents... Good Luck.