PDA

View Full Version : t-tracks in preformed counter top.

alex staley
06-30-2011, 3:07 AM
Any suggestions for this? I want to have t-tracks so I can add and remove reloading components to a long bench I hope to build soon. I really like the look of the preformed counter top and will try to re-enforce it below. I have a router and limited experience. Any suggestions and/or pics greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Matt Meiser
06-30-2011, 7:41 AM
I've never done it in post formed top, but I've routed stuff I've laminated with no issues. Just use a straight bit, clamp a straight edge on to guide the router and go for it. Two straight edges would be even better--no chance of accidentally drifting away from the path.

Since post formed tops are relatively thin, I'd glue on a backer in the area where you are going to route, or maybe under the whole thing, first. If you use screws/brads/staples to hold it while the glue dries, make sure you think about their placement so you don't hit them.

matt tennessen
06-30-2011, 7:41 AM
Installing t-tracks in anything is pretty easy with a router. Because you're using what I assume is a particleboard substrate with laminate, I'm going to guess you want to purchase t-track as opposed to cutting t-slots. Just order your track, measure the width and get the appropriate sized straight bit for your router and, with the aid of either an edge guide or clamped straight edge, cut away. If you're cutting through the front edge of your counter (which I'd assume is laminated as well) just be aware of chip out. I've never plowed through that edge of a counter top before but I'd imagine it would be an issue. Make a couple of test cuts in something to make sure you're cutting depth is what you want.
And when you say reinforce, you are talking about adding an extra layer of (plywood?) to beef up the thickness right? When you cut halfway through the thickness of that countertop,it's going to want to break.
Finally, you could always get a sheet of melamine, cut it to size and add edging. Whether you face it with wood or use that rubber edge stuff that you cut a slot for and tap into place. It'll look like all the table add-ons from rockler.

Jerry Bruette
06-30-2011, 8:48 PM
I used a couple of sink cut outs from counter tops to make my drill press table. Just make sure to use a good straight edge and make the cut in a couple of passes and you should be fine.

Good idea for the reloading bench. Post some pictures so i can steal your ideas.:)

Jerry

Clarence Miller
06-30-2011, 9:01 PM
I built router tables out of the stuff it works great for that. The only thing I recommend is to seal the bottom raw side to prevent warp. I use some old glue that I didn't want to trust for joinery and that sealed it up good. Doesn't have to be pretty just sealed.

Jim Rimmer
07-05-2011, 4:40 PM
with the aid of either an edge guide or clamped straight edge, cut away. .

I agree with the two Matts (Meiser and Tennessen) about using a straight edge since you have limited experience with a router. An edge guide will work but you have to concentrate on not letting it drift off the edge. I would mount two straight edges and make a couple of power off dry runs to make sure your router will move smoothly between them.

Bill White
07-05-2011, 8:18 PM
I (like Jerry) used sink cuts, but I doubled them particle sides together. No problems yet.
Bill