PDA

View Full Version : My vortex is getting harder to spin

Paul Maue
06-30-2011, 1:29 AM
In other words, my lathe spindle doesn't turn as freely as it should. Either the bearings are going out or something else is happening. I don't hear a squealling sound yet when it runs but it is getting noisy and the runout appears to be getting worse.
I have a Jet 1236 lathe, has anyone posted instructions on how to replace the front and rear bearing? I thought I had seen posts were people were have trouble reinstalling the reeve drive and belt.
Also what tools are needed to pop out the old bearings?
Should I replace them with OEM bearings or is there a modification or different type that would be better?
Is there anything else I should look at and replace while I have it apart?

Dennis Ford
06-30-2011, 10:41 AM
I don't have a 1236 so this may be way off base but; check to see if the bearing pre-load adjustment is out of whack. On my Jet 1220 this is adjusted by loosening a set screw in the hand wheel and turning the handwheel on the spindle. I have learned that holding the handwheel while tightening or loosening accessories can (and has) caused the handwheel to move on the spindle resulting in the bearings being too tight or too loose. Now I always use the spindle lock to tighten or remove accessories.

Ed Morgano
06-30-2011, 11:51 AM
Paul,
What Dennis said makes sense. If that doesn't help and you have to take it apart, I would probably opt to replace the bearings. Otherwise, you could simply wash them out and re-grease them but you might end up taking it apart again if that doesn't work. There are only a handful of bearing companies in the world anymore. I would definately check prices with a local bearing supplier and compare it to OEM prices because you're probably going to get the same bearings either way. Hope this helps.

Bill Bolen
06-30-2011, 11:52 AM
The link I posted is from the New Woodworker and Dick gives a lot of good info on the 1236. His story about replacing the belt (with pic's) will get you half way to the bearing replacement and answer some questions about the Reeves Drive. I believe if you download the 1236 manual from Jet it will give instructions on bearing replacement. I know the Manual for my 1442 gives those instructions for my lathe. Good Luck...Bill...
http://www.newwoodworker.com/turning/bltrplcjwl1236.html

Steve Schlumpf
06-30-2011, 12:10 PM
Paul - be sure to do a follow up with what you find to be the problem/corrective action as there are a lot of folks with those lathes and someone may be experiencing the same problem.

Paul Maue
07-01-2011, 12:04 AM
I don't have a 1236 so this may be way off base but; check to see if the bearing pre-load adjustment is out of whack. On my Jet 1220 this is adjusted by loosening a set screw in the hand wheel and turning the handwheel on the spindle.

Dennis

I don't keep the hand wheel on the lathe. It covers the access hole and prevents me from using the knock out bar. I have been using a new vacuum chuck that tightens up against the end of the spindle. I will have to open the cover and look things over.

"
I believe if you download the 1236 manual from Jet it will give instructions on bearing replacement. I know the Manual for my 1442 gives those instructions for my lathe."

Bill
The manual for the 1236 has a diagram of the parts but no explaination of how to disassemble it. I may pull up the manual for you lathe and see if it has some information that I can use. I have reviewed the link for newwoodworker and this will also help get me started.

I had also found a post were someone was replacing the bears on their 1236 lathe and noted that the original bearing were only sheilded on one side. He ended up installing double shielded bearing. Once I get new bearings in I will try to photograph the process and post the info for future SMC'rs.