PDA

View Full Version : John would be proud

Kathy Marshall
06-30-2011, 12:11 AM
If only I had pics to show.
I've spent the last couple of nights CLEANING the shop :eek:
I know, I know, pretty unbelieveable huh?
It's still a long way from Keeton clean, but I discovered the top of my workbench again, along with about 30 pieces that were in varying stages of finish...oops
Took out about 8 large wheelbarrow loads of shavings and 2 large trashbags full of, well trash. I can walk all the way from the back up to the bandsaw and maintain full contact with the floor all the way, plus I can stand at the bandsaw without standing on or tripping over countless pieces of scraps and cut offs!
I even got around to modifying my grinder so I could use my diamond dresser to dress the wheel (modification consisted of grinding off part of the ear that holds the tool rest). What a difference! Been using the same wheel for almost a year and it was in pretty bad shape, but after dressing it it looks like new. Can't wait to try it out next time I turn something.
I'll try for some pics tomorrow, since I don't think it will stay very clean for very long!

Scott Hackler
06-30-2011, 12:17 AM
Good on you Kathy! My shop looks like a tornado went through it right now. I need to dedicate a whole evening to get the mess cleaned up.

Michael James
06-30-2011, 12:41 AM
What shop? I don't see no shop!?! Besides, I think you've been too busy cutting flat rate size chunks of beautiful wood and sending them all around the county to do any cleaning! :D;)

John Keeton
06-30-2011, 7:15 AM
Three cheers for Kathy!!!!
http://www.colectiva.tv/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/applause.gif

David E Keller
06-30-2011, 7:19 AM
I think you're going about it all wrong! You shoulda made it worse then called A&E... Those folks from Hoarders will do it for ya!

Dick Wilson
06-30-2011, 8:02 AM
Dang Kathy, I remember the pictures of your shop........only two evenings:eek::confused::confused:

Jeff Nicol
06-30-2011, 8:13 AM
Kathy, Since I got back from the Symposium, things have started to get back to the old norm in my shop! Lots to do before we head out to Idaho to see our new grandson and his Mommy and Daddy (Our son)! They are stationed at Mountain Home AFB there, maybe while we are gone for a week the shop gremlins will make my shop spotless and very organized!

Take care and have a great Independence day weekend!

Jeff

Ed Morgano
06-30-2011, 8:59 AM
Kathy,
We need pictures. :eek::confused::D

Trevor Howard
06-30-2011, 10:28 AM
Why is it I read the title of the thread and Knew which John you where talking about, and what the thread would be about.
As you should know no pictures didn't happen.

You going to have a hard time losing this reputation now John. :D

Tim Rinehart
06-30-2011, 10:38 AM
Hey, I spend entire weekend trying to gain some order in my shop. I made some headway building a couple crude cabinets. I don't let shavings accumulate on floor, just an accident waiting to happen....not the least of which is me slipping, as shaving on hardwood is a recipe for sliding around!

Chris Burgess
06-30-2011, 5:22 PM
Ohh Kathy how I wish I had your problem. My shop is a lowly 10x10 section inthe storage shed. I have a Shopsmith pushed up against the wall w/ the bandsawhanging out and my lathe in front of that w/ a small cabinet behind me. I can'tturn a tea cup w/out shaving up to my ears. I did clean today...by clean I meanswept around the SS so I could pull it out then fired up the disc sander andmade a bigger mess squaring pen blanks......Oh well it is a vicious cycle andwe all seem to be stuck in it. Congrats on the clean and I can’t wait to see those1/2 finished pieces you uncovered in the mayhem.

David E Keller
06-30-2011, 5:25 PM
You folks are going about this cleaning all wrong. I've got two words for you...

LEAF BLOWER!

Jim Underwood
06-30-2011, 5:51 PM
Leaf blower?

Heck, sounds like Kathy needed a Bobcat, or a front end loader and a dump truck

Kathy Marshall
06-30-2011, 9:34 PM
So here's some pics.

Before and after. (notice on the right side about mid way down, the blue tupperware tub is pretty much completely covered :eek: )

Before and after.

Still need some cleanup on the shaper...
and the jointer....
and the planer....

Kathy Marshall
06-30-2011, 9:37 PM
Here's what was buried on the workbench.

This is the pile from what was cleaned up around the bandsaw.

Enough cleaning for now (I did warn you that it wasn't quite up to Keeton standards) time to go play :D

Roger Chandler
06-30-2011, 9:44 PM
Kathy,

I - R - M - pressed! ;)

Steve Schlumpf
06-30-2011, 9:46 PM
Well the photos sure explain a lot! Nice shop and a great job on reclaiming it!

David DeCristoforo
06-30-2011, 10:03 PM
"Still need some cleanup on the shaper..."

Ohhh.... it's a shaper! The planer sticking out from under it's heap is identifiable as is the jointer. But the shaper... never woulda got that one...

So... that's a start alright. But you still go a ways to go before you are going to impress the OC police...

Toney Robertson
06-30-2011, 10:16 PM
If you were closer, I would make an offer for that jointer you have. It would look nice sitting in my shop!!!

Bernie Weishapl
06-30-2011, 10:32 PM
Hey Kathy it looks as good as mine did when I cleaned up before we left. Hey it wasn't Keeton clean either but good enough for me. Looks pretty good to me.

Baxter Smith
06-30-2011, 10:44 PM
Nice job on the cleanup Kathy but I still find the sight of those other tools buried under scrap almost depressing!:)