PDA

View Full Version : Help with making this logo to outlines...

Emma austin
06-29-2011, 10:11 PM
I would appreciate any help with this, I am going to make a 3D-ish sign for a friend's expo.
I have attached a pic of the logo. Also my corel file. What I want to do is cut each part seperately and then layer with tape/glue. So the white arm in the monster I will cut from white and glue on the black acrylic..
I seperated all the parts that would need to be cut, then got stuck at the squiggly line. I know it is thin but I wanted to cut this all from one piece of black acrylic. But I can't seem to make it an outline to cut? ie when I go to make it hairline, it is just one single line with no inside. It would be okay if I have to make it thicker, but short of tracing another line all the way around I can't figure out how to?
Any advice would be great! Many thanks.

John Noell
06-30-2011, 12:40 AM
To make it thicker is easy. Click on it, go to Contour (Windows -> Dockers -> Countour or just hit Ctrl-F9). Countour to outside by maybe 0.5mm (0.02"). Make sure you say 'none' to line thickness, fill with black.

Emma austin
06-30-2011, 12:55 AM
Thanks for the reply and tip. I didn't know about that tool. But I am still not getting something right...
I need it to be an outline, so I can physically cut it out. When I use the outline tool I am still only getting one line?
Sorry I am still learning these things..

Mark Conde
06-30-2011, 1:09 AM
I would just raster the lines. Vector cutting them most likely will not make it more appealing than just raster engraving IMHO.

Carrol Fleming
06-30-2011, 2:57 AM
I am not sure if this is what you were looking for. I did as John suggested, put a contour around the scribble, I then broke the contour group apart and made the scribble thicker than hairline, so that it will raster, and tidied up a few of the kinks in the outline. You could draw in more "cutouts" or just copy and paste a few of the existing ones and change them to fit where you want them.

Carrol Fleming
06-30-2011, 3:06 AM
Here is the Corel file, for some reason my steam driven internet access would not let me add another attachment!

Emma austin
06-30-2011, 5:46 AM
Many thanks Carrol! Very helpful. Will have a play tomorrow and see if it will work. :)

Larry Bratton
06-30-2011, 12:34 PM
This is a great place...4 different countries represented in this thread to solve the problem. U.S., Fiji, Africa and Emma-down under. New Zealand?

Scott Shepherd
06-30-2011, 12:58 PM
Just for reference, when you have the line, if you select "covert outline to object", it'll do what you are asking.