PDA

View Full Version : Vessel From the Sea......

Wally Dickerman
06-29-2011, 5:18 PM
The finial and the pedestal turned very nicely but the vessel was a challenge!! Very thin and all of those bumps!! Well okay, it's a sea urchin. Not a very good surface for gluing the pieces together so there's a 1/8th in. dowel holding them securely. About 9 inches tall, and made of blackwood.

The next one will have the pedestal a little shorter and with a taller finial. Might work better. I use the rule of thirds. We'll see. C and C welcome

Steve Schlumpf
06-29-2011, 5:21 PM
Now that is different! Love the contrast in color and texture! Really good idea using the dowel - would have never thought of that!

Looking forward to seeing what you turn next! Getting pretty close to birthday party time isn't it???

Bernie Weishapl
06-29-2011, 5:53 PM
Wally that is a great looking piece. I really like the color contrast. Really well done.

charlie knighton
06-29-2011, 5:54 PM
very nice, thanks for sharing Wally

Michael James
06-29-2011, 7:49 PM
Looks pretty darn nice from over here Wally! I wouldn't change a thing. I think the finial and pedestal are very elegant as is the white / black color scheme. Thanks for posting. Not bad at all for a guy that lives in Arizona! ;)
mj

David E Keller
06-29-2011, 8:29 PM
Pretty cool, Wally! Sea urchins are such neat looking creatures, so I think the simple adornment is a nice accent.

John Keeton
06-29-2011, 10:03 PM
Nice work, Wally! Saw a lot of urchin turnings at the AAW - really thought long and hard about getting one. Might still, after seeing this one!

Baxter Smith
06-29-2011, 10:23 PM
Nice contrast of colors Wally. I have thought about trying one. The dowel in between sounds like a good idea. I find lots of sea urchins in the summer that the seagulls have picked up and dropped on the rocks. Sometimes the hole in the bottom is fairly small. The roe eaten raw is considered a delicacy, though I can't say I have tried it.:)

David Reed
06-30-2011, 9:48 AM
Very cool idea Wally. Very nice way to display some of natures wonders. I too like the idea to stabilize the whole thing with a central dowel.

Wally Dickerman
06-30-2011, 5:56 PM
Now that is different! Love the contrast in color and texture! Really good idea using the dowel - would have never thought of that!

Looking forward to seeing what you turn next! Getting pretty close to birthday party time isn't it???

Thenks Steve...Yup, party time in a couple of weeks. My wife and I head for Portland, Or. next week. Big family gathering to help the old guy of the family celebrate his 90th.:):):)

Tim Thiebaut
06-30-2011, 7:58 PM
Very nice Wally, those urchins are cool, the blackwood is a nice contrast. I have been wanting to try one of these myself, guess I need to order one and give it a go.

Joe Adams
06-30-2011, 8:40 PM
Great execution and form.