PDA

View Full Version : Poor images from customers - how to manage

Mark Conde
06-29-2011, 3:19 PM
Hello Creekers--

I am working with a customer that is challenged to send me an image (wedding pic) in a usable format. Either he sends it at DPI 72 or the image is only a thumbnail and resolution is lost when expanded. How do you guys handle customers to send images in a usable format?

Thanks,

Mark Conde,
FirePoint Creations

Bruce Volden
06-29-2011, 3:28 PM
Mark,

Basically it's up to you to educate the customer on how things work as far as pic's go. I have repeatedly sent back their artwork after I enlarged an area just so they can see how poor the image is. Maybe the customer is nearby and can give you the original?? If not maybe he can scan it and send it as a .bmp? There are options that we have that most of our customers do not. Doesn't help much 'tho does it.

Bruce

Mark Conde
06-29-2011, 4:01 PM
The customer is local. And he admits he is not too swift with saving and sending pics. We are on round 3 already and all three have been exactly the same. When I explain that I need the original -- he just sends a copy of the thumbnail from Picasso.com. I hate to pass on any job-- but it is getting a bit time consuming (say non-profitable) to keep going thru another round of emails.

Thanks anyway-- Mark

Rodne Gold
06-29-2011, 4:39 PM
Pass on it...sounds like trouble.

Mark Conde
06-29-2011, 4:52 PM
Thanks Rodney-- I think I just had to have a third party verify that thought.

Bruce Volden
06-29-2011, 6:09 PM
Well there is the problem, Picasso automatically compresses and optimize's things for the net! Have him save the original in some "junk" folder as a .bmp and then send as an attachment. This will work, but, you may need to hold his hand through it.

Bruce

Martin Boekers
06-29-2011, 6:45 PM
Is it his photograph or a low res posted by the wedding photographer? (So it may be unuseable)
That may be why he can't come up with the original. (copyright issues)

Check and see if there is a digital "watermark" in the file.

Mark Conde
06-29-2011, 9:52 PM
Thanks again for all the info. I do not see a watermark. But it always is sent to me as a thumbnail -- And the customer is not savvy with images to save it any other way than copy / paste.

And I forgot to mention that the image has huge white dress and a big black tux in it. Its not very pleasing to the eye after it gets lasered on to wood. :(

I am going to try working thru this with the customer one last time. If it does not work out, I am unfortunately moving on. Thanks again.

Martin Boekers
06-29-2011, 10:32 PM
You can check for watermarks or file info (I think on a PC) by right click and select properties.

On my MAC it's highlight image then File-get info.

There can be quite a bit of info there.
This may sound stupid, but try searching the file name. I have actually had that work before.

Ron Fairbanks
06-29-2011, 10:35 PM
Contact the photographer to get the digital image and add the cost to the job. While you're talking to the photag, explain what you do. Could turn into more business.

David Fairfield
06-29-2011, 10:38 PM
Open a photo bucket account, its free. Write up a tutorial that explains how to scan a photo, how to set dpi and how to upload to this account and what the password is. Write it as if you were explaining to an 80 year old grandmother. If you have illustrations, thats even better.

This tutorial is something you can use again when the next guy comes along who can't email a decent photo. In my experience this is about 90% of customers.

Dave

Mark Conde
06-30-2011, 1:06 AM
Ron-- That is a STELLAR idea. I am very mad at myself for thinking of it. Thank you!!

Michael Hardy
06-30-2011, 6:37 PM
Picasa also supports the ability to post to a Free Web Album. I use this all the time for sharing and moving photo's around.
On picasa . com there is a link right below the get picasa or go to picasaweb dot google dot com
Picasa will ask if it should be resized or send the original size. Almost fool proof.