PDA

View Full Version : My New Power Tools...

Jim Becker
02-13-2005, 7:37 PM
Well, not really, but I spied this beauty while attending a training meeting at the adoption agency a few weeks ago and couldn't hold myself back from whipping out the phone and snapping a shot. Not the best picture, but that thing (obviously a combo machine...) sure is cute!! (The agency does a lot of child and family services which includes collecting toys for redistribution)

JayStPeter
02-13-2005, 8:04 PM
Just wait. There's tons of power tool toys. In fact, my 22 mo. old is sitting here grinding my knee with his angle grinder as I type.

Jay

Mark Singer
02-13-2005, 8:20 PM
Jim,

Don't forget the eye protection:eek:

John Shuk
02-13-2005, 9:16 PM
Jim,
That is a pretty hot setup. My son has a playdoh bandsaw that uses a vibrating wire which really cuts. It's alot of fun. I wish you the best with the adoption as well. I am adopted and my brother has adopted two kids, a boy and a girl from china. Both excellent imports! It is something that is close to my heart for obvious reasons. I hope it goes well for you.
John

Jim Becker
02-13-2005, 9:29 PM
I think I or my brother had that playdoh thing or something similar. I don't remember much in the way of "tools" other than a vague vision of a plastic hammer and screw driver...but that was a LONG time ago considering I'm turning 48 on 5 March... ;)

Thanks for your kind thoughts, John. You can "follow along" on our BLOG at http://a-j-adopt.blogspot.com. (The first read is best to start at the bottom as new posts go to the top) We are very early in the process, but it's already presenting some challenges...like anything good in life will! BTW, that's pretty incredible your brother was able to get a boy from China...very unusual as 99.9% of the kids from there are female due to cultural things. I'd love to get a boy and a girl (we are doing Russia), but while that's our preference, we'll accept what is offered.

Tim Morton
02-13-2005, 10:58 PM
Jim, my brother adopted a boy fom Korea as did my sister. I like the idea of odopting from russia...Good luck with it!!! Is it russia where you will have to go over and live for a period of time during the adoption?

Jerry Olexa
02-14-2005, 12:22 AM
Jim, I only partially understand the challenges you are both facing. My son in law is adopted (a fine WWer and DIYer) and he and his wife (my youngest daughter) are in the final stages of fertility treatment. Adoption will be their next logical step. I do know it isn't easy and wish you both only the best.

Karl Laustrup
02-14-2005, 5:48 AM
Oh, boy [or girl] you get to buy more tools, er toys! Whatever! :D

Good luck with the adoption Jim. Oh, and by the way, we're almost 10 years apart. I'll be 58 :eek: on the 6th. Happy B-Day in advance.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-14-2005, 8:22 AM
Jim......Good Luck with the adoption! 34 years ago, after 2 years of marriage, I adopted a 4 year old daughter and 5 year old son from my wife's first marriage. 4 years later we had a 3rd child. I can tell you from experience sweat and tears are thicker than blood! Again.....Good Luck!

Jeff Sudmeier
02-14-2005, 8:54 AM
I love them! My nephew was just born, but I can see some of those in his future!

Jim Becker
02-14-2005, 8:58 AM
Is it russia where you will have to go over and live for a period of time during the adoption?
Tim, Russia requires two trips for adoptive parents; the first to "meet" the child or children and the second to go to court and complete the process. The first trip normally is about 3-4 days in-country and the second about 10 days...unless the judge doesn't waive the 10-day waiting period. Supposedly, since we are in a hosting program that brings the kids to the US for about two and a half weeks in the summer, the first trip is waived, but right now that is up in the air due to intense political wrangling going on over there as well as some new rules coming into effect. As I mention in the BLOG, adoption (domestic or international) is a situation where you have absolutely no control over anything except your hopes and how you fund the process. You are at the mercy of the "system" in either case.

Hmm....Siberia in November could be "interesting"... ;)

Dave Brandt
02-14-2005, 9:00 AM
Jim, Just wanted to let you know "I felt your pain", so I posted to your BLOG (GULP). We've been there, done that, so if you feel the need, feel free to ask me anything (almost). Dave

Jim Becker
02-14-2005, 9:05 AM
Dave, I just read your comments. Thanks, especially because the BLOG is not just for "us"...there are other potential/in-process adoptive families that will read the site and encouragement for them is a good thing. International adoption has gotten more challenging lately for a number of reasons including political, so many folks are having some frustration with delays, etc.

John Shuk
02-14-2005, 9:58 AM
Jim,
It was surprise to my brother that they were given a boy. He has some issues because of a tendency toward ear infections when he was younger affecting his hearing. He is however a very smart and loving young boy. I remember the frustrations and ups and downs my brother went through during the process with each kid. It is just important to keep your eye on the prize. Aside from the fulfillment you and your wife will get you will be giving a child a home and a family. It truly is a priceless gift.

Dave Brandt
02-14-2005, 3:27 PM
Jim,

Have you tried to adopt "in states?" I know there's lots of kids in this country that could use a good set of parents. It sure seems like it would be easier on everyone if you didn't have to travel so far (or try to communicate over such great distances), not to mention the language barriers. Even though our boys were labeled as special needs, physically, there was nothing wrong with either. Just lots of baggage. Anyway, feel free to PM me anytime about our exploits. Dave

Randy Moore
02-14-2005, 3:47 PM
Jim,

How old will the children be when you are in this process? Will you be able to talk to them and will they understand you?
I have never tried to adaopt kids, LOML has 3 and I have 1. That is enough for us and I am getting too old to try to keep up with kids, unless they are grandkids. Don't have any of the grandkids yet either.
I don't know where I would be today if I hadn't beem adopted 51 years ago. Be sure to get medical records on the parents, if you can
I hope your endevers go smoothly and I will be reading the BLOG, I bookmarked it
Randy

Jim Becker
02-14-2005, 4:06 PM
Randy, we are seeking 2 siblings, aged 5-9. Language resolves itself very quickly with kids, usually within 6 months they are speaking in full sentences and relatively fluently. We will also be learning some of their native language, not only to assist in the beginning, but also to show respect for the citizens over there while we are traveling. They really do appreciate the effort, even if the results are "bad"...

Michael Stafford
02-14-2005, 4:51 PM
Being a parent is just about the most important job that a human can have. Somehow I feel that you and your wife will be very successful parents and I congratulate you on your adoptions.

My grandfather told me shortly after my son was born, " Michael, you will never be president of the USA. You will never be a famous sports hero. And more than likely you will never be a captain of industry. The only thing of value you will leave this world is your son and if you have not done right by him and he becomes a burden to society you will have wasted your whole life."

I thought that was rather profound and it guided me while I was rearing my son. I like to think he turned out okay. Keep that in mind while you are rearing your children and you'll be okay too. Good luck, Jim and congratulations again.

Michael Ballent
02-17-2005, 4:33 PM
Jim the best of luck to you while you are in the process. I have been to Russia (St. Petersburg) during the summer and it was still cold for me of course I live in Phoenix so any day below 60º is time for a parka.