Hi,

I have a customer who needs a sublimation printing on 10
Mm aluminum rod.

Any ideas to print around it's circumference... Jigs etc

Thanks in advance

Regards

Saravana Kumar

Saravana
The first question that comes to mind is -do you have poly coated aluminum rod? It has to be coated in order for the sublimation process to work.

Mike Null
06-29-2011, 4:23 PM
And then how are you going to heat to nearly 400 degress and press it?

AL Ursich
06-29-2011, 6:48 PM
A Custom Oven Wrap.... I saw a program on the PA Cable Network where they tour PA manufactures and show the process... I don't remember the name... But a RV Manufacturer or the Company making the fold or roll down metal sun covers has a Sublimation Process....

The coated Pipes and the metal hardware, long 20 foot stuff.... They had a ink jet printout they wrapped the pipe in and sealed the length with some kind of heat sealer. Sealed the end and added a Vacuum Hose to the other end.... Drew a Vacuum and sent the whole thing through a chain driven oven.... Peeled off the paper/plastic and the artwork was on the metal....

They sell the videos....

AL

Martin Boekers
06-29-2011, 7:16 PM
Consider a water slide decal then seal it, if that is possible. All depends upon the use.

Larry Bratton
06-29-2011, 8:57 PM
And then how are you going to heat to nearly 400 degress and press it?

Yeah, that was my second thought,,but first things first. That could be a bit tricky, even with something like Al is suggesting.

Rangarajan Saravana kumar
06-30-2011, 12:10 AM
We have a poly coat over the Aluminium rod and expect a fixture to make a heating element to go inside...

Sublimation is required, no decal sheet allowed

Regards,
Saravana kumar

Mike Null
06-30-2011, 5:56 AM
That would take the work out of fabricating a press.

Larry Bratton
06-30-2011, 10:20 AM
We have a poly coat over the Aluminium rod and expect a fixture to make a heating element to go inside...

Sublimation is required, no decal sheet allowed

Regards,
Saravana kumar

Not even a sublimated decal? I have been using the sublidecal from Johnson Plastics and it pretty amazing. The sublimation is beautiful, it can be placed and removed up to 72 hours and after becomes permanent. It is also waterproof. I can imagine taking those rods and just rolling them on the decal to apply. But, if you can't use a decal then that's just a thought. Don't know how many are involved, I'm sure that would be a factor because hand application is slow.

Rangarajan Saravana kumar
06-30-2011, 11:26 AM
Even a small strap application could do?

Any one like mug strap can do? But for this 10mm
Suspect a possibility?

Other ideas?

Tks